cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55VW-S1173H Dolby Digital Optical Out Confirmed

srmojuze
Level 10
IMPORTANT: PLEASE SEE UPDATES BELOW, THIS INFORMATION IS NOT EASILY OBTAINED.

1. Asus G55 has two audio outputs. Analog (3.5mm) and Digital SPDIF (3.5mm adaptor on Toslink to Toslink). This is the ~same~ jack, it detects analog or optical digital depending on the cable.

2. SPDIF output only supports ~Stereo~ and ~Dolby Digital 5.1 Passthrough~.

3. This means: you will ONLY GET STEREO output in most cases through SPDIF, including in video games. What happens is that on the SPDIF ~receiver~ eg. amps, surround headphones, etc. The receiver will UPSCALE to 5.1/7.1 etc. using Dolby Pro Logic or other means.

4. You CAN STILL GET Dolby Digital 5.1 through SPDIF when it is "passthrough" ... That means from BluRay, VLC playback of 5.1-encoded AC3 files, etc.

5. For MOST GAMES, the output is STEREO, since it doesn't generate/encode Dolby Digital 5.1 ~on the fly~, unless you have "Dolby Digital Live" eg. using an external soundcard like Creative XFi USB.

6. For MOST GAMES, on your surround receiver/headphones you can choose "Dolby Pro Logic" or "Bypass". The surround receiver/headphones will still try to "upscale" to surround.

7. AFAIK this does ~NOT~ mean that games do not have "Surround" information encoded in them somehow, this is somewhat esoteric and I am not sure how the "Surround" sound is encoded into stereo channels, but this is part of technology that Dolby has... eg. Dolby Pro Logic encoding of "Surround" in stereo channels.

Hi all, you just need a 3.5mm to Toslink (or 3.5mm adaptor on Toslink to Toslink) to get digital optical out, ie. 5.1 surround, 7.1 surround and so on.

The headphone jack doubles as a SPDIF output as per the specifications.

I hope to add to this over time, if anyone can find test files, questions for games, etc... fire away...!

Dolby Digital 5.1 (7.1?) Test Files:
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-digital-plus-download.html
11 REPLIES 11

Pitcher1
Level 9
thans for sharing, how is your test result? what do you mean lot of nightmares. ha...

Mike_Lu@ASUS wrote:
thans for sharing, how is your test result? what do you mean lot of nightmares. ha...

Yes Dead Space 3 will be very scary! That's what I meant ha ha.

Tomislav
Level 11
...and start to wet your bed? 😄 kidding , good advice !
ASUS G75VX
Win 8, i7-3630QM, 2,4 GHz, GeForce GTX 670MX, 8 GB Ram,120 Gb Samsung 840 SSD+750 Gb HDD

Tomislav wrote:
...and start to wet your bed? 😄 kidding , good advice !

Ha Ha... I will certainly be waking up in the middle of the night, hopefully the bed won't be wet...!

Maybe I will have more nightmares trying to use EA's Origin service! No Steam for Dead Space 3!

Well that was a funny reply haha 😄

(Edit: see first post)

AlexTheRepublic
Level 9
Well, I am a HDMI lover so I'll use that instead of Optical :P.

jalberto
Level 7
Great man! you are right: This information is not easy to get , even at Asus support. They have not a clear idea at this point. I have been trying to get an answer but , so far, I haven´t got an oficial confirmation of what to hook up there to get a digital output for for my audio amplifier
Your information is really useful. Before that, I didn't know what to connect to such mysterious S/pdif
THANKS!

OpP026
Level 7
Hi

I suppose that it's the same for G750jx...