cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW-BBK5 and Windows 8

Shadotora
Level 7
I've been sitting on my copy of Windows 8 Pro since launch, but I have been afraid to update my OS to the new Windows 8 because of a few threads I was reading within the first month of the OS' launch.

Has Asus made their fixes for the G75VW-BBK5 regarding a safe upgrade into Windows 8 as far as my components and drivers are concerned? I've tried searching through the forums for something that would resemble a guide or any chatter on the topic, but came up empty. Any thoughts or opinions?
6 REPLIES 6

Clintlgm
Level 14
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28632-Windows-8-Clean-Install&country=&status= , Asus website has most if not all specific drivers for win 8, I wouldn't advise a upgrade, clean install will be less trouble. Just make sure you have all the ASUS drivers ready to go before you start, back up all your data. Image your current hard drive so you can go back if it don't work out for you. Go through all the Threads on moving to Win 8 print them out or have them linked on another computer so you can find them easily. Plan the upgrade thoroughly and you shouldn't have to much of a problem.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Awesome! Thanks! The version of Windows 8 Pro that I have is a download code for it. I imagine I can download it and burn the image/s to a disc/s?

The only reason why I mentioned the working drivers and updates was because of the posters commenting that, for example, their audio drivers or video drivers wouldn't work properly.

Yes that's why is said to pay close attention to the threads about these drivers. So you have a pretty good idea of which ones should work for you, the ones posted on the ASUS sight should work. The USB 3.0 will change to the native Microsoft drivers. You'll probably want to donload a copy of ClassicShell to get a start button back there are others out there to do the same thing. Since Asus has produced drivers for Win 8 and G75 if you plan well and follow your plan you should have little problems. Use the USB method of installing seems there are some issues using DVD to install UEIF. Search " Rewben" post he has lots of good advice on these installs!:cool:
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Pitcher1
Level 9
when you upgrate system to win 8, you can find the driver from asus website,alos search from ROG some post have been talk which driver can be using in win 8 by g75vw.

Yes I did clean install with purchased Windows 8 Pro upgrade and it was fine. All drivers from the Asus site (see the ROG drivers link somewhere on this forum) seem fine, at least the ones I tried. The only thing was Bluetooth, I found I just needed to install Atheros and not Intel, and I didn't install every single thing that is listed.

Try using Macrium Reflect, it helps you adjust/build a really clean install because you can revert if you did something you didn't like.

tkolarik
Level 9
I initally did an the Windows 8 upgrade following the steps on the Asus driver site, it went very smooth and worked well. The aduio drivers supplied by MS are no worse than the ones provided by Asus (VIA) on Windows 7. It felt to me to have much faster performance but my favorite game has yet to be ported to run under W8 so i went back.