cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound asus g73jh

Xcap
Level 7
So I bought this laptop on craigslist from a guy for 500 bucks. I checked it out for a quick 60 seconds and everything thing seemed in order. I got the lap top and noticed I couldn't get any sound from the speakers and when headphones were plugged into the headphone jack, there wasn't any sound from them either.

I have tried everything to fix it, installed drivers, updated drivers, uninstalled drivers and reinstalled them. Still no changes. I notice that when I turn the lap top on though it does say "unable to find compatible srs device" but I unstalled the srs premium sound application from the computer and still nothing. Whenever I go to the device manager and go under "Sound, video and game controllers" option 2 devices pop up "High definition audio device" and "ATI high definition audio device". Which I would assume means that the device is in a working condition?

There are also a few minor problems with the laptop but I can live with them. The trackpad doesn't work, some of the LED lights don't work either.

So my question boils down to is it my sound card for the laptop busted? And should I take it too a computer shop to repair it? Or is there something that I am overlooking? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have been Googleing this problem looking everywhere and I cant seem to find anything. Thanks for your time.
9 REPLIES 9

xeromist
You could shine a light into the jack to see if it is mangled.

The other bit is the ATI audio device is actually audio out over HDMI so that doesn't mean the onboard sound. However, you should right click on the windows speaker icon in the systray and go to playback devices. Check to see which device is set for audio out because that can cause the onboard not to work if something else is default.

As for the touchpad, how doesn't it work? If it doesn't work entirely then perhaps the cable is disconnected inside. That would make sense with the lights not working if someone disassembled the machine and didn't get everything reconnected. If it's an issue of the cursor jumping around then that is a grounding issue. I had the same issue with mine until I opened it up and added an additional ground wire from the back of the touchpad to the chassis.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I checked the default settings and they were set to "speakers" I tested them out and still nothing. I checked the back of the audio jack and it looks completely normal. I figured if maybe the laptops speakers were blown out that the audio jack would still put out sound? Not too sure. I mean i feel like i have tried nearly everything. I have never seen anything like it. Could it be the on board sound card is ruined?

As for the touchpad, its completely unresponsive. As for this i have done the whole driver thing too on the asus website.

Pitcher1
Level 9
do you have try press F9 at BIOS post to restore OS? if not help. i suggest you send back to asus service cneter to check it.

xeromist
Yes, it's possible that the onboard is damaged. Worst case scenario you could always use a USB audio device to get sound.

Like Mike said, try a restore if you haven't and try giving ASUS a call. Even if it's not under warranty they might be able to arrange to inspect it for a fee.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Xcap
Level 7
So I tried to reset to factory, by pressing the f9 at post bios. And it comes up with this message "reboot and select proper boot device asus". Not quite sure what that means, as I have never seen it before.

Ill probably just take your advice and grab some usb speakers or headset.

xeromist
If you want to do a clean install you could grab an oem image from digital river and use the windows key on the bottom of the machine. Just make sure to download the wireless driver ahead of time or have an ethernet cable ready because the wireless won't work with the default windows 7 drivers.

Xcap
Level 7
One more thing, I tried the direct hdmi to my flat screen tv, and still no audio from the tv or the machine.

I'm gonna try the fresh install of windows 7 and see if that fixes anything. If not ill just suck it up and live with it or send it to asus.

Thanks for the replies!

xeromist
HDMI won't work unless you set it to the default output like we discussed for the speakers.

yeah,think so, i suggest you send back to asus service cneter to check it. thank you