cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is G75/G55 Right For Me?

tewbacca
Level 7
I have two questions that I can’t seem to find definitive answers:

Is the G75 (or G55) cool enough to play games on my lap? (I’ve seen temperatures listed at 40C and 80C, but that seems very hot for my lap.)
Is the G75VX available in the US? If not, when will it?

To give you some background, I like to sit on my couch and play games. If it’s a shooter, then I will give it my full attention, but when I play CIV V or other turn based, I like to watch TV as I’m playing.

I want the best gaming laptop that I can get to comfortable play them on my lap. I am looking G75/G55 because of the cooling system combined with high performance. I am hoping that the high performance, compared lesser gaming laptops, will allow me to play new games further into the future without needing to replace.

Does it make sense that I could accomplish the above with G75 or G55, or is that too much power?
5 REPLIES 5

Fire
Level 10
40C to 80C is perfectly fine the i7 CPUs are made to operate at 100C and still survice

The screen of the G75 is fugly, it has the matte screen rather than the glossy screen so colors especially white look like rainbow dotted specs if u look close enough, never had an uglier screen in my life before it sucks

secondlly, the sound chipset is a crappy VIA chipset that does not distribute the bass properly to the sub woofer channel and despite more than 10 driver updates, the issue still isn't fixed and won't be fixed as it is a hardware problem

so if u want a crappy screen laptop with horrible sound, then definitely go for it. Otherwise the speed and specs and price are awesome

Never buying an ASUS here myself after this experience and a previous bad experience with the G73SW

Clintlgm
Level 14
To answer your question about heating in your lap, the rear exhaust prevents the bottom of the notebook from getting very hot like wise the intakes are also not on the bottom so you don't need to worry about blocking the venting system. That part should do well for watching tv while you play.
The VX are available now in the states, I have seen at least one model on Amazon. There are several models of the VW and VX pay attention to the spec's and get the one you want or can afford.
I can't speak to the G55 although it has the same cooling system more or less.
I'm quite happy with my G75, disappointed with the sound system. However it's all good with headset or external speakers.
Some people have had issues. If you buy one you should test it thoroughly everything as soon as you get it. Most vendors have a short return period should you get one with problems. Tech support is flaky, service center also flaky some people have good luck some really don't!!!, This forum has lots of really good help and most problems are solve rather quickly. Since we mostly see people here that do have problems. Of the thousand of these units sold only a small percentage ever come here for help.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Pitcher1
Level 9
your laptop is good and normal as temp.

Primeval
Level 7
If you're going to leave the laptop plugged in to the adapter while you have it sitting on your lap, then yeah definitely buy whichever one of those 2 you want. Because if you unplug them, the performance on games drops massively. This is what happens with my ASUS G46. Which you might also want to take a look at.
ASUS G46VW Owner

Intel Core i5-3210m @ 2.5 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 2GB, 750 GB HDD, 8 GB RAM, 14" 720p/1366x768 display

AlexTheRepublic
Level 9
The 80 degrees Celsius are really not a big deal. i7 CPUs, as said before here, are made for high-temperature, high-voltage settings. Of course, the mobile CPUs are a little bit Tweaked so they don't melt themselfes. But yeah, the G55/75 is perfect for any gamer. But be picky at the specs! A GTX 660M in a G55 is not as far as good as G75VX's GTX 670MX!