cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus g74sx not charging

MrCaboose
Level 7
I have a asus g74sx, i have had it just over a year now (3 months past warrinty) and was having mild connection problems that started about a month ago, other than that it ran great. Then one day I heard a pop, my comp shut of right away, then a little bit of smoke came out of the side. Every thing still works except that the power pack turns off the second I pug it into the computer so it does not charge at all. Can any one shed some light on this. I don't know the name of the peace but my guess is it's not replaceable and I can not afford a new motherboard. What are my other options?
4 REPLIES 4

dstrakele
Level 14
MrCaboose wrote:
[Every thing still works except that the power pack turns off the second I pug it into the computer so it does not charge at all.

Just to confirm - the laptop runs fine on battery, but cannot be charged by the power adapter or run while plugged in without the battery installed?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

MrCaboose
Level 7
Yes it ran fine on off the battery after but cannot be charged by the power adapter, and cannot run while plugged in without the battery installed

burn0u7
Level 7
just from the looks of things, I don't think you are going to be able to repair that damage. looks like it popped a power chip and destroyed the surface a bit. these motherboards are multilayer even IF you manage to clean up the pads, I don't see it being enough to repair the physical damage surrounding the circuit paths. There are a couple of surface mount capacitors and transistors that will need to be replaced as well.

Hate to say it but it might be time to look for a new board and start saving up for it.
Desktop:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI EXTREME
RAM: 32gb Ballistix 1866 DDR3
Chip: Intel Core i7 4770k OC'd Stable 4.8ghz
Water Cooling: Corsair H110i
Power: Corsair 1200i
Video: Asus STRIX OC'd GTX 980
Primary Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Pro 256gb SSD
55" Vizio HD display
Audio: Logitech Z5500
File Server: Dell Poweredge r710 1.3TB Hard Drive Storage 128gb RAM
Storage SAN #1: Dell Equallogic PS100e 14x 750gb SATA
Storage SAN #2: Dell Equallogic PS5000V 16x 1TB SaS

Pitcher1
Level 9
if you don't mind, you can unplug battery, just use adapter, because you are out of warranty right, but also you are able to ask buy extend warranty and than repaire.