cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have to laugh... about the G75VW

Statix72
Level 8
Just purchased a G75VW-TH72 laptop about 1.5 weeks ago. I like the build quality and look of the machine but the documentation is a joke. The drivers are also a joke. I can't believe there are threads on this forum discussing how to set an equalizer to get "optimal" sound quality out of this laptop. This laptop has shameful speakers, shameful. No matter what your equalizer is set to, which guide you follow, it will never sound as good as any competitor laptop. Period. The screen is also a disappointment. Reading reviews I expected more. The screen door effect and white balance/washout leaves me wanting to continue using my older Dell XPS 17. The screen on that is seriously better than this. The Splendid display utility is useless. The Nvidia display settings can improve the image to be sure but they don't seem to stick when navigating through apps/programs, Start screen etc. You have to keep going back and re-applying. Annoying.
Ultimately the amount of tinkering to get this laptop to perform how it can/should seems ridiculous. Specific touchpad drivers to gain extra options such as disabling reverse-scrolling, specific sound drivers to provide better sound (better is relative here cuz these speakers will never sound "good"), all Asus utlities - worthless.

I seriously wanted to like/love this laptop. I really did. I've been a long time Asus fan, at least of their hardware. Their support or sales info has never been what a company like Dell could offer, even with it moved to India. Hell I'd take Indian support all day long over what Asus provides.

Unfortunately this laptop will probably only be in my possession for 6 months - 1 year before I sell it and move on to something better. In that time I'll be on these forums looking for the answer to my question of the day because I know Asus won't provide it, it will be other users.
20 REPLIES 20

dstrakele
Level 14
The retailer won't let you return the laptop for a refund minus a restocking fee?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Statix72
Level 8
Sure they will, minus 15%. To be clear, there is enough to like about this laptop to not send it back such as dual HDD bays, the proc/ram/video card, keyboard, price. But really as probably most on these forums know, there isn't much competition in the $1400 -$1500 17" gaming notebook range with these specs. The few companies that can touch this price point with these specs all have problems too (MSI or Maingear would be 2 that come to mind). I will keep the laptop as I said for a while, it's got good specs on it. It's resellable too. I'll just be looking out for a killer deal on an Alienware or the next gen model of the Samsung (both have/will have superior screens). When that comes along, this goes. And that's a shame because I wanted to like it.

Feud
Level 7
Considering the standard screen used on the G75VW has a 97% color gamut, how can you say its bad? Sure its a TN panel, but really only effects the viewing angles seeing as the color gamut is quite good. My GTX 660M runs fine, and the Nvidia drivers function properly as well. I'm currently running a Dell Ultrasharp alongside the Laptops screen. The Audio I will admit leaves something to be desired, but I simply use my 7.1 Headset or use an external sound card. Overall, I've found no laptop has a perfect balance of features but this Asus has more pro's than con's in the end. The dual drive bays, i7 and GTX 660M, 670M GPU's, 4 DIMM's, Backlit keyboard.. I could go on.

Statix72
Level 8
I agree there is no 17" gaming laptop that has the perfect featureset because even when you do find it, you'll pay through the nose for it (Eurocom, high-end Alienware, Origin etc). The screen, listen all I can say is that I have a 1.5 year old Dell XPS 17 sitting next to it. There is no comparison. I think as technology marches on you just expect incrementally better things, such as screen clarity, color saturation, etc. The resolutions in these are identical. The Dell, you see the colors, clarity, crispness. The Asus you can actually see the itty bitty little black boxes that make up the overall screen image. The colors are good yes but the brightness/contrast is too high to where whites wash everything out. And no, turning the brightness down doesn't fix the problem, the darks are then to dark and you lose shadow detail. The screen is ok at best. Just not what I wished for/expected.

With this said there are more pro's than con's it's the little things Asus doesn't get right. Imagine if they did, one hell of a laptop for the money.

Statix72 wrote:
I agree there is no 17" gaming laptop that has the perfect featureset because even when you do find it, you'll pay through the nose for it (Eurocom, high-end Alienware, Origin etc). The screen, listen all I can say is that I have a 1.5 year old Dell XPS 17 sitting next to it. There is no comparison. I think as technology marches on you just expect incrementally better things, such as screen clarity, color saturation, etc. The resolutions in these are identical. The Dell, you see the colors, clarity, crispness. The Asus you can actually see the itty bitty little black boxes that make up the overall screen image. The colors are good yes but the brightness/contrast is too high to where whites wash everything out. And no, turning the brightness down doesn't fix the problem, the darks are then to dark and you lose shadow detail. The screen is ok at best. Just not what I wished for/expected.

With this said there are more pro's than con's it's the little things Asus doesn't get right. Imagine if they did, one hell of a laptop for the money.

Even when you pay an arm and a leg for a laptop they always fall short in comparison. In the end I've come to realize that you have to trade certain things on any laptop for others and that its a sacrificial type deal when it comes to features. For the price, the Asus offers some nice features overall and I do admit the VIA sound on the G75VW is atrocious but I've never come to expect much when dealing with integrated audio which is why I run external sources of audio. The black boxes I'm honestly not quite sure what you're referring too... That might be an actual issue with your screen rather than an overall fault because I don't see those black boxes at all even when watching a movie or gaming with maximum brightness. I also don't get excessive backlight bleeding that you'd come to expect on most TN panels.

Compared to my Dell Ultrasharp LCD I have next to it.. the LED screen on my G75VW looks crisper and provides more vibrant whites which is surprising seeing as the Ultrasharp is an IPS Panel.

Statix72 wrote:

Well, for me the screen is not bad!
I have the "DVE HD Basics" calibration Blu-ray disc.
I ran the disc, and all I needed to do is below

Go to the nVidia control panel.
Go to adjust video color settings section.
1. turn down the contrast to 43
2. Go to the advanced tab set dynamic range to Full (0-255)
3. uncheck the box next to dynamic contrast enhancement
4. uncheck the box next to color enhancement
5. click apply

The color saturation, and hue was fine when using the filters for checking the calibration for both, didn't need any adjustment there.
The desktop colors are not bad, that's after you uninstall the splendid
utility crap! (so didn't adjust anything there!)

This greatly improves the picture IMHO.

Now for the speakers, I have to agree, Asus should have done better in that area!
But I solved that problem with a set of "Altec Lansing" PC speakers, I paid only S25, but they sound like a $250 set compared to the stock crape!!!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:
Well, for me the screen is not bad!
I have the "DVE HD Basics" calibration Blu-ray disc.
I ran the disc, and all I needed to do is below

Go to the nVidia control panel.
Go to adjust video color settings section.
1. turn down the contrast to 43
2. Go to the advanced tab set dynamic range to Full (0-255)
3. uncheck the box next to dynamic contrast enhancement
4. uncheck the box next to color enhancement
5. click apply

The color saturation, and hue was fine when using the filters for checking the calibration for both, didn't need any adjustment there.
The desktop colors are not bad, that's after you uninstall the splendid
utility crap! (so didn't adjust anything there!)

This greatly improves the picture IMHO.

This is a nice TIP!
G75VW-BHI7N07: i7-3630QM * 32Gb ram Crucial * Windows damn 8 PRO
Kingston HyperX 3K 120 SSD + 1TB hdd (sad 5400 rpm)

Paulovrv wrote:
This is a nice TIP!

Thank you!
Did you try the settings?

Try the settings, then put in the blu-ray disc "The Dark Knight"
The opening of the movie, and some cut scenes are shoot in "IMAX" format.
IMAX is the highest resolution available these days, and the picture is amazing on this 1080p panel.
This Movie is a great test for this panel.
So try and see what you think!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:
Did you try the settings?

Yes, I did. It was very useful!
I thank you.:)
G75VW-BHI7N07: i7-3630QM * 32Gb ram Crucial * Windows damn 8 PRO
Kingston HyperX 3K 120 SSD + 1TB hdd (sad 5400 rpm)