cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advices - Maximus V Gene - Bios 1604 - Win8

hannubys
Level 7
Hi,
I'm a new member, first time ROG member 🙂 I did build a new computer with the following parts:
i7-3770
Sapphire 7950 With boost
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10R)
Asus maximus v gene
Seasonic X-760 Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold 760W PSU
BitFenix Raider ATX Mid Tower
128G SSD vertex 3 and 250Go vertex 4

I have installed Windows 8 (uefi enabled), downloaded all the latest drivers from manufacturer website.. But I need help from you guys to resolve the followings issues:

1. Since I have updated to latest bios 1604, my windows 8 experience index for my processor and my ram is lower (8 instead of 8.1 when XMP not enabled). So now XMP is disabled and my ram is on 1333 frequency.

2. At first I didn't install the audio drivers because Windows 8 did recognize the device, when i updated bios to 1604, I was hearing the disconnect/ connect sound everything 3,5 seconds. I installed the latest drivers from realtek and the problem is resolved.. (this is a feedback for asus)

3. Even with the latest Catalyst drivers 13.1, my computers crashed. the computers reboot by itself. the memory.dmp says the crash is probably caused by atikmdag.sys. Is there someone with the same issue ?

4. I use the default heatsink provided with my processor and when playing farcry, i see the temperature of the processus is about 90, sometimes higher. Is it normal ? or I have to buy a real heatsink ?

5. When I restart my computer i see in the event viewer that my computer failed to start with fastboot. Like if the bios is not yet compatible. When disabled in the bios I don't have this error.

6. Can I enable XMP in the bios even if my processor is not a K model ( i have the i7-3770)

7. Is it normal that I don't see the HD4000 graphic card in the device manager. Is the bios automatically disable it when i pluuged the ATI 7950?
18 REPLIES 18

niwrad33
Level 7
When I restart my computer i see in the event viewer that my computer failed to start with fastboot. Like if the bios is not yet compatible. When disabled in the bios I don't have this error.

all i think it is cause by a driver i give you an example i also have windows 8 and after i install the driver of my keyboard (note: but yours it could be some other driver/devices) i experience that problem and i just rollback my driver to default driver of windows 8 and it fix.

suggestion, why do you fresh install and do installation of the driver one by one, observe first before installing another driver for you device.

Is it normal that I don't see the HD4000 graphic card in the device manager. Is the bios automatically disable it when i pluuged the ATI 7950?

i think it is normal because you have a VC.

Can I enable XMP in the bios even if my processor is not a K model ( i have the i7-3770)

i think you can enable it , it is for your RAM. (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

I use the default heatsink provided with my processor and when playing farcry, i see the temperature of the processus is about 90, sometimes higher. Is it normal ? or I have to buy a real heatsink ?

it is normal , me i use H60 just a 4.0 and when i'm playin battlefield , my procie reach to 65-67c ambient temp of 30c
i7 3770k @ 4.0 | Corsair H60 | Maximus V Gene | 4gb x 4 Crucial Ballistix Elite | Asus GTX 660ti TOP | Corsair Force GT 120gb | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Seasonic x-660 | Fractal Design Define Mini |

I will probably buy this Hyper 212 Evo.

I will try what you said for the drivers device preventing the fastboot.
Yes XMP is for ram but I don't know if the bios try also change the config for the CPU. Anyway I don't understand why my windows index is lower with XMP enabled

niwrad33
Level 7
try and keep posted , goodluck!
i7 3770k @ 4.0 | Corsair H60 | Maximus V Gene | 4gb x 4 Crucial Ballistix Elite | Asus GTX 660ti TOP | Corsair Force GT 120gb | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Seasonic x-660 | Fractal Design Define Mini |

feniks
Level 11
my replies in bold under you questions below.

hannubys wrote:
Hi,
I'm a new member, first time ROG member 🙂 I did build a new computer with the following parts:
i7-3770
Sapphire 7950 With boost
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10R)
Asus maximus v gene
Seasonic X-760 Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold 760W PSU
BitFenix Raider ATX Mid Tower
128G SSD vertex 3 and 250Go vertex 4

I have installed Windows 8 (uefi enabled), downloaded all the latest drivers from manufacturer website.. But I need help from you guys to resolve the followings issues:

1. Since I have updated to latest bios 1604, my windows 8 experience index for my processor and my ram is lower (8 instead of 8.1 when XMP not enabled). So now XMP is disabled and my ram is on 1333 frequency.
why not enable the XMP for your memory and compare the numbers directly across BIOS editions?

2. At first I didn't install the audio drivers because Windows 8 did recognize the device, when i updated bios to 1604, I was hearing the disconnect/ connect sound everything 3,5 seconds. I installed the latest drivers from realtek and the problem is resolved.. (this is a feedback for asus)
good

3. Even with the latest Catalyst drivers 13.1, my computers crashed. the computers reboot by itself. the memory.dmp says the crash is probably caused by atikmdag.sys. Is there someone with the same issue ?
use BlueScreenView tool from nirsoft.com to easily navigate through BSODs and reading potential crash cause. updating ATI driver (or downgrading) might help.

4. I use the default heatsink provided with my processor and when playing farcry, i see the temperature of the processus is about 90, sometimes higher. Is it normal ? or I have to buy a real heatsink ?
yeah, that's normal with stock HSF on 3770 and the quality of TIM intel used on the chip die (under CPU IHS). get a closed loop liquid cooler, e.g. Corsair H60 or H80 or whatever fits yours case and budget, you will have much better results than with any big and oversized air cooler out there.

5. When I restart my computer i see in the event viewer that my computer failed to start with fastboot. Like if the bios is not yet compatible. When disabled in the bios I don't have this error.
I believe it is necessary to have UEFI enabled GPU BIOS on video cards for Fast Boot to work. try contacting the vendor of your video cards and asking for GPu BIOS update for better UEFI compatibility. some vendors ship UEFI/FastBoot feature disabled or dormant on stock GPU BIOS due to compatibility issues with older motherboards, but usually an update is available.

6. Can I enable XMP in the bios even if my processor is not a K model ( i have the i7-3770)
your processor doesn't have much to do with XMP, XMP is a preset profile hardcoded to your memory sticks and the board BIOS will read those settings directly from sticks and enable them upon restart. Just put Ai Tuner in BIOS to XMP Mode and it will work fine.
non-K processor simply means that you have the multiplier capped on processor to max of 3.9GHz (for 3770 model), that's all. you can still try overclocking by increasing BCLK, 105MHz should be possible, but it's more complicated than modern OC'ing by simply increasing the mutli. If you ever overclocked older dual/quad cores by FSB, then it will be easy for you 😉

7. Is it normal that I don't see the HD4000 graphic card in the device manager. Is the bios automatically disable it when i pluuged the ATI 7950?
yes, it's normal. by default the option in Bios is disabled and you won't even be able to install Intel HD4000 driver, device will not show up in Device Manager.
You can enable HD4000 in BIOS (it doesn't affect discrete GPU at all) by going to Advanced Tab - System Agent Configuration - Internal Graphics - iGPU Multi-monitor ENABLED (by default DISABLED)
after that, go back to Windows and download the latest Intel HD4000 driver and you should be able to install it (not that you will ever need it if running discrete GPU).

.: R3C0NF1GUR3D :.
ASUS MVE :: 3770K bench @ 5.2GHz (delidded) :: 2x4GB Mushkin 996990 @ 2400MHz CL10 @ 1.7V :: evga 670 2GB SLI @ 1280/7108 :: Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD RAID0 (OS) :: WD RE4 2TB (storage) 2TB :: Hitachi Deskstar 5K300 2TB (backup USB3.0) :: ASUS VG248QE 24'' 144Hz monitor

My rig with pictures
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

@feniks
I was getting 8.1 with the previous bios with XMP enabled. But since the 1604 version I got 8.
If I disable XMP I also get 8.1 for the processor and memory.

I will contact Sapphire to see if they have a bios update for my HD 7950.

hannubys wrote:
@feniks
I was getting 8.1 with the previous bios with XMP enabled. But since the 1604 version I got 8.
If I disable XMP I also get 8.1 for the processor and memory.

I will contact Sapphire to see if they have a bios update for my HD 7950.

interesting, so WEI went down with XMP by 0.1 for cpu & mem? it doesn't make much sense that it goes back up when XMP gets disabled tho ... by disabling XMP you mean switching memory to default speed (1333) and timings or rather settings same as XMP values (speed, timings & voltage) manually?
ASUS MVE :: 3770K bench @ 5.2GHz (delidded) :: 2x4GB Mushkin 996990 @ 2400MHz CL10 @ 1.7V :: evga 670 2GB SLI @ 1280/7108 :: Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD RAID0 (OS) :: WD RE4 2TB (storage) 2TB :: Hitachi Deskstar 5K300 2TB (backup USB3.0) :: ASUS VG248QE 24'' 144Hz monitor

My rig with pictures
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Exactly, WEI went down with XMP by 0.1 for cpu & mem. By disabling XMP I mean switching memory to default speed (1333).
And I'm not an expert so i don't tweak manually. I'm just using the AI tweaker to set XMP.
I did test the WEI multiple times but still the same.

hannubys wrote:
Exactly, WEI went down with XMP by 0.1 for cpu & mem. By disabling XMP I mean switching memory to default speed (1333).
And I'm not an expert so i don't tweak manually. I'm just using the AI tweaker to set XMP.
I did test the WEI multiple times but still the same.

is this on Windows 8? I can see on my own setup that GPU score in WEI is incorrect in SLI mode, it stays at value like for a single card. could be a M$ Windows issue.

My rig with pictures

hannubys
Level 7
yes, I have Windows 8 x64