New ROGer Array

crosshair v vengeance ram not operating at factory spec

System:
    Asus crosshair v thunderbolt
    Amd fx 8350
    asus gtx 580
    corsair vengeance pc312800 16gb (2x4gb kits)
    WD caviar black 2tb
    seasonic 80plus gold 850w PSU

Hi all

My corsair vengeance ram has been operating at 1333mhz and at slower latency than factory spec. Whenever i have tried to set factory spec the computer either doesnt boot, or the settings are not applied(or blue screen lol). I had this problem with the 1100t i was using previously but the problem still exists with the fx 8350. The timings should be (8-8-8-24 @ 1600mhz)

Any way to fix this would be appreciated as my system is basically bottleknecked by the ridiculously slow memory.

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

Yes there is one way, get rid of both kits and purchase a single kit. the reason is because the 2 kits, while probably the same aren't working correctly together. you'll have less problems with one full 16gb matched kit than 2 kits

New ROGer Array

thanks, another thing for some reason my cpu is only using 6 of the 8 cores. I have manually turned on all the cores in the bios and it still only registers as there being 6 active.

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

No worries and it should be using all 8 cores, especially through the BIOS via core unlocker...at least AMD users can do this, unlike core i7 users, who are permanently stuck using 6 of their 8 cores

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array sectionate PC Specs
    sectionate PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Crosshair V Formula
    Processor8350 - 1090T
    Memory (part number)G Skill Sniper F3-14900CL9-4GBSR
    Graphics Card #1Asus GTX660-DC2O-2GD5
    MonitorAcer GD235HZ - ViewSonic VX2439wm - SyncMaster P2350
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i
    CaseHAF 932
    Power SupplyCorsair Professional HX850
    Mouse Zowie EC1 eVo
    OS Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by vrajcevski View Post
    thanks, another thing for some reason my cpu is only using 6 of the 8 cores. I have manually turned on all the cores in the bios and it still only registers as there being 6 active.
    fix your msconfig->boot->advanced options-> that you set on your 6 core machine or disable amd turbo core
    Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

New ROGer Array

yes ive tried to do that but for whatever reason my mouse cannot click on the advanced options, it is simply unselectable

New ROGer Array

OK, SO few things to update - The 6 CPU vs 8 CPU - the install was with the default hidden Win 7 partition, where the bootconfig is hiding. so in order to get it working you have to unhide the partition and be VERY CAREFULL not to give it a letter , otherwise you end up ina mess with windows reinstall ( how do I know you ask :-)) . the reinstall fized a few other things ( this is my son's machine and I am the tech geek in the family).
    Step 2 got a gskil 2x8 gig kit capable of 2400 at ras of 10. Figured if I can clock it down to 1866 and run tighter timings and lower voltage I can get similar latency with lesser load.

Testd frist with the XMP profile at 2400 - works liek charm, machine is stable - BUT - the latency improvement and overall memory performance is about 10 % better that running the old 4 gig sticks at 1333. IT is absolutely unbelieavable. so what's aman to do

so my next try will be to actually graph the expected timing in ns for each of the timings vs memory frequency and see what to actually expect.

my qick and dirty calculation tells me that the time differential in memory perfromance is so small because of the compromises that the big clock number realy serves for stating an achieved number.

If anybody can have a view on why I would be getting a 57 ns latency on Sandra as opposed to other similar setups going around 27 with 1600 Mhz clcok ( and the timings wouldhave to be almost half of mine to do that) I am happy to try. I stillthink there isomething wrong with the CPU, MB and memory combination that it behaves as if running half speed.

vlad