cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Gene issue & WiFi mPCIe card detection problem

MrSnowDrop
Level 7
Hello everybody, this is my first post here.
My system references: Win7 x64 / Maximus V Gene motherboard / Intel Centrino WiMAX 6250 WiFi mPCIe
I've installed the WiFi mini-PCIe card in the mPCIe combo, but the system won't detect any new WiFi device...
http://ark.intel.com/products/59468/Intel-Centrino-Advanced-N--WiMAX-6250-Dual-Band
I tried everything (disable/enable, reboot, driver search) but nothing to do... also, it seems there isn't any Win7 x64 driver available!
Only one thing: i don't have an antenna connected to Intel's WiFi mini card, because my router is very close to the PC and i didn't found any antenna in the WiFi package (i suppose it's optional, right?)
Please avoid classic "parrot" answers such as "check mPCIEe card plugged to motherboard" or "check bios firmware" - my bios is updated and the card is correctly plugged to the motherboard...
What can i do?
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers, MrSnowDrop.

1. Download the driver from the Download Center.
2. Download and install Driver Sweeper.
3. Remove/delete the current driver you have from Device Manager.
4. Restart and enter Safe Mode.
5. Run the Driver Sweeper to remove all traces of your current driver.
6. Restart and install the driver you downloaded.

See if that solved your problem.

First of all, thanks for your kind reply.
Already downloaded the "Wireless_15.3.1_Ds64.zip" file from Intel Download Center, as you can see from that second attachment, after a driver check directly from Intel site.
Update: now i can see the WiFi working from Windows Network Sharing Center, but with a very poor signal!
But still Device Manager shows the "yellow warning icon" over the Intel WiMax in "Other Devices", just like the above first attachment... it seems that Windows won't identify the device correctly. I cannot believe to have to enter in "Safe Mode" and force a driver instead of another, i believe Windows 7 can do the work by choosing the latest and best compatible driver available... but my idea is that there IS NOT a working driver, as the "yellow warning icon" suggests!
Anyway, let's take for good the installation of Intel's driver (the wireless connection appears, although with a poor signal). Now, my doubts are:
- if mPCIe WiFi cards needs always an antenna, why that antenna is not equipped directly in the item package? It's not so easy to find an antenna for that micro-hardware in conventional shops;
- do i have to deduce that all WiFi cards inside Notebooks have an antenna?!?... I have two WiFi notebooks and both have a simple switch to turn on/off the WiFi!...
- or, my last idea, the poor signal depends from the not-correctly-working driver?

Chino
Level 15
From personal experience, I can confirm that you need the antennas for it to work properly. For example, the MPCIe card that comes with the MVF and MVE both need antennas. Without them you can see the signals but they'll be very weak. I have no idea why your Intel MPCIe card doesn't come with one.

Even the notebooks use antennas, you just can't seem them. If you open up one of them, you'll see that there are also 2 small cables connected to the Wifi module. If you follow the cables, they will lead you to the receiver which is normally hidden behind your notebook's screen.

Thanks Chino.
I've purchased the mPCIe WiFi card from here:
http://www.amazon.it/Scheda-Intel-6250-WiMax-Wireless/dp/B009DJ7PKC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_3
As you can see, there isn't an antenna; neither a description about where to find one (browsing similar products in the Amazon.it site, i cannot see any antenna for those mini wifi cards)...
My ASUS vendor said that has no idea to find those "peculiar" items, so i'm going to search for an antenna elsewhere... although i think that a signal-gain should not affect the devices detection in Windows 7.

Chino
Level 15
Yeah, with or without the antenna, it should work. Actually I'm a little lost. The device has the exclamation mark next to it which would mean it's either not installed correctly or not working correctly. But if I look under Network Adapters, I see the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6250 AGN is installed correctly. Just wondering. Are you picking up any Wifi networks?

This might be just an assumption. What if that MPCie is used mainly in notebooks? Since those already come with the antennas, technically it's just plug and connect. Maybe that's why no antennas were provided with the package because the intented use isn't for desktops?

Not sure if these would work, but if this card is similar to Asus's MPCIe card, you would need something like this Mini PCIe Wifi Antenna Kit 3Dbi RP-SMA Antenna + 20cm U.fl/IPEX to Bulkhead RP-SMA Pigtail.