Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Fantastic guide, very helpful. I just bought a G75VX-T4153H (Australia) with Windows 8 pre-loaded. This guide will make it easy to do a clean install, thanks.

One quick question about the USB 3.0 drivers in windows 8. Are the proper drivers not even installed on the pre-loaded W8?

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

@Wolowizard, officially there is no support for usb 3.0 driver from intel yet. the usb 3.0 driver is from Microsoft. unofficially, you can do this. you need to disable driver signature enforcement for this.

New ROGer Array

Thanks again

rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

no problem; good luck

rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

G55/G75 BIOS

RELATED LINKS (possible solutions):
    - G75VW Black screen (no BIOS) After BIOS update [solved] (by @Dreamonic)

Before You Begin
    - make sure the battery is fully charged, and your laptop is plugged in to the external power source.

1. BIOS Upgrade

there are 2 ways to perform bios upgrade:
    a) Easy Flash - you can access the easy flash gui in 2 ways - spam the F4 key during boot, or go into the bios (spam F2 key or ESC key on boot) and start easy flash from the advanced tab. this is a much safer way to flash your bios.
    b) WinFlash - you can also use this windows-based utility from ASUS to perform the upgrade.

a typical process to flash a bios is simple:
    1. format a usb stick with fat32;
    2. extract the bios file directly from the archive to the usb stick;
    3. for easy flash: turn you laptop off; plug in the usb stick with bios; turn your laptop on and hit related key to run easy flash. in the easy flash gui, navigate and select the new bios file you want to apply then press enter to execute the upgrade.
    4. for winflash: run the winflash program as administrator, select the new bios file and apply the upgrade.

for the machines with stock w8, you might need to disable fast startup in your power plan, and then choose restart instead of shutdown to access the easy flash.

2. BIOS Restore/Downgrade

when there is something wrong with the new bios, you can still restore the last working one:
    1. easy flash (ctrl+home combo) - put the bios that you want to restore/downgrade to at c:\. depending on the laptop model that you have, you should named it accordingly (note the filenames' case):
    - g55vw: c:\G55VW.BIN
    - g75vw: c:\G75VW.BIN
    - g75vx: c:\G75VX.BIN

now, turn off your laptop; then press and hold the left ctrl and home keys, and hit the power button to turn on the laptop. continue to press and hold the ctrl+home key combo until the easy flash gui appear.

2. winflash: see here
    Last edited by rewben; 07-11-2013 at 08:30 AM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Urgent help needed windows 8 clean
    guys, I need some help..when I bought my g55,it was in windows 7..then upgraded it to windows 8..after receiving it back from the asus service center due to rma, then reformatted it back to the windows 7 default settings with 2 partitions..then I tried to upgrade back to windows 8 by the windows upgrade assistant and it was a SUCCESS..my problem is, all the windows 7 files are still in the hdd, including the recovery partition and the 2 partitions..i want to merge all into 1 partition,format the whole hdd and reinstall windows 8 clean again without the old windows 7 files and the recovery partition...so how do I make it happen because I cant access the bios during startup in windows 8..please do help me as this is urgent, thanks

ps.if I burn the windows 8 iso in a dvd, does it provide a hdd options? and how do I boot from dvd?#

please help me, thanks

rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

@Arvinaaaaa, i assume you mean the hdd option is the section for you to select which drive/partition to install the OS. yes, you will be given the choice if you do a fresh install.

before you do anything, i suggest you back up your activation token with Advanced Tokens Manager, so that you can restore it after a fresh install (here i assume you use the same hardware)

for w8, go to your active power plan, and disable fast startup. if that is not working, choose restart instead of shutdown; spam esc key on reboot.

1. create the w8 pro install usb stick (preferred size: 4gb or more; format it with fat32; extract all contents in the ISO to the usb stick);
    2. turn off the laptop;
    3. plug in the usb stick;
    4. turn the laptop on and spam the esc key on boot;
    5. select uefi:usb.stick from the menu and proceed.

once everything is installed properly, restore the activation token.
    Last edited by rewben; 02-27-2013 at 08:02 AM.

ROG Member Array

Hi again rewben,

I bought a 128gb OCZ Vector for my G75VW BBK5 last week. Since I don't have any important files in my G75, I'm going to do a fresh instal Win 7 on my OCZ Vector. BUT, the problem is when I try to instal the OS via usb it doesn't work. I found an error like "remove disks or other media press any key to restart" ( I have remove my hdd and nothing plugged in on the usb ports except the installation usb). THEN again the second error is "Bootmgr Is Missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart".. I CAN'T boot from my SSD. I've already set it as PRIMARY and ACTIVE from Disk Management, but still it doesn't work. *FYI : i have format the usb with fat32*

When i tried to instal the OS from iso file (Boot from my HDD then open the ISO Win 7) it works! I set the boot setting from bios to SSD aaaand the error occurs AGAIN .. Bootmgr is missing bla bla bla. BUT if i set the boot setting to HDD and i choose the OS from SSD (dual OS option) it works. I've tried many ways from googling and the error still occurs. How can i boot from my SSD ?? is that possible if the problem due to incompatibility between OCZ with my G75 ? because i've read a thread of someone can't instal OCZ ssd to his G75 bestbuy. But i haven't try another brand anyway. Please help me
    Last edited by draco69; 03-15-2013 at 06:17 AM.

rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

@draco69, sorry for the late reply. i assume that you have stock windows 7 before this; and i assume that you created your usb stick as described here.

let's try the usb install route again. the way that works for me is always to boot the usb stick using the esc key:

1. if there is an option to change uefi boot option, enable it;
    2. spam the esc key on boot to bring up a boot menu; select uefi:<your.usb.stick>;
    3. see if it lets you install the windows.

from your description, the installation was successful with your second method; the problem is that the laptop did not boot from ssd automatically. have you tried the esc key method to see if you can boot from it? have you set up the boot option to point to the windows boot manager of your new ssd?

please take out the stock hdd first to prevent the system 'getting confused'. ocz vector should be fine for your system.

ROG Member Array

@rewben, according to the link you gave for usb :

i formatted my usb with f32 and copied the iso file of w7, but in point c) "if you have a working windows 7 64bit, find C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi; if not, use 7-zip to open the install.wim in x:\sources\ (select > right click > open archive). then in the 7-zip explorer, browse to folder 1\Windows\Boot\EFI\. extract the file bootmgfw.efi."

i have a working w7, and i found the bootmgfw.efi and you said i have to extract the file bootmgfw.efi to folder 1\Windows\Boot\EFI\. Where is that folder ? do you mean i have to extract the file to C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\ ?

and point d) "now in you usb stick, create a 'boot' folder in the 'efi' folder (i.e. x:\efi\boot). in that efi folder you should see the 'microsoft' folder"

i created efi\boot\ folder in my usb but i can't see the 'microsoft' folder ? but i keep going to next step i put the bootmgfw.efi inside the newly created 'boot' folder and renamed it as bootx64.efi. Try to reboot by spamming esc key method, boot from uefi my usb but then the same error still occurs, "remove disks or other media press any key to restart" and "Bootmgr Is Missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart".

And how to enable uefi boot option ?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast