Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Sorry guys, does G75VW support UEFI?and how to enable it?

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

hi @jindov, basically you just need to find the matching OS installation media (iso/dvd), then do the following:

1. convert the target disk (ssd/hdd) to gpt type;
    2. create the uefi-capable install usb of the OS, and install the OS in uefi mode.

in case of w8 and w8.1, to create no. 2, you just format the usb to fat32, and then extract the contents of the iso/dvd directly into it. then while at POST, spam esc key and select uefi: <usb.stick> in the boot menu to continue.

rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

HOW TO CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE USING MICROSOFT WINDOWS POWERSHELL

this note is about creating a system image in windows 8.1, using ms.windows.powershell command, instead of GUI way. the system image can be used in many ways: whether to restore a fully working system on an existing drive, or to install it on a new drive. the apparent advantage of this is that, rather than starting a fresh install from scratch, plus all other apps/games/system tweaks and their respective updates, which will take some times, now i can restore the full system in no time.(for my systems, it's under 20 minutes, with everything ready to go)

(note: for a restore on a new drive to work, the new drive needs to have the sufficient capacity to house the restored image, not necessarily must be equal or larger than the existing drive. for instance, i have a samsung 840 pro 512gb ssd as OS drive. the total space used for my OS plus other relevant system partitions is 400gb, and the rest is left unallocated for OP purposes. i can restore this system image to a new, smaller samsung 840 EVO 500gb without issue)

creating system image

the process is actually very simple:
    1. fire up the ms.windows.powershell command as administrator (point the mouse pointer to windows powershell icon, right click on it and select 'run as administrator' from the popup menu), and use the following command in the powershell window:

wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:<target.drive.letter>: -include:C: -allCritical -quiet

(replace the <target.drive.letter> with the destination drive to store the system image. it can be an external hdd or a network location)

2. the process will take some time. so wait for it to complete successfully. that's it.

restoring from system image

to restore a system image, simply run your windows installation media, choose repair your computer, and in the advanced tab, choose restore system image. follow the wizard to locate the system image and apply.

note that i just choose to create a system image for OS drive only. it will take much less time for restore compared to a full backup. if you wanna have a full backup, just add additional drives like the following:

wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:<target.drive.letter>: -include:C:,D:,E: -allCritical -quiet

reference:
    Wbadmin, Microsoft
    Last edited by rewben; 05-10-2014 at 02:45 PM.

rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

G55 SSD RAID 0 NOTES

this is a simple note about how to make a ssd raid 0 setup in g55. it's been a while since i experimented with my g55, and a few weeks ago i decided to give it the last boost that i could think of: make a raid0 with 2x ssd in the machine. (actually this was the second last optimization that i have done. the actual last one involved software-based ram caching, which provides even impressive outcomes) raid setup in g55 was mentioned in the user's manual, but some parts of it were not described clearly. i have run it for a while now before i decided to put it here as reference. from my experiment, as long as you have 2 ssds with the same capacity, regardless of brand, it will still work. (i am running 1x ocz vertex 4 and 1x plextor m5m as raid 0)

for g75, the process is simple. all you have to do is to get a pair of ssd/hdd and put them in the hdd bays, set the sata mode to raid in bios, upon reboot press ctrl+i key combo to access raid menu for appropriate setup. (please refer to the user manual for more details)

this is not the case in g55. g55 comes with two different sata slots. 1x msata slot, and 1x standard sata hdd bay. (both are sata 3 connections) usually, in terms of disk selection, a safer bet to set up raid is to get a pair of identical disks (same model number, i.e. same capacity, same brand). with this combo of sata ports in g55, we know that it's at least impossible to make raid with 2x hdd. however with ssd, it actually can. also, recent releases of ssd already have matching models but in different form factors. (for instance, crucial m500/m550, and samsung 840 evo all have msata and sata form factors) so if you're not convinced that ssd from different brand will work nicely together, you can still have the option to choose these matching ssd for the same purpose.

the trickiest part imo is to put the msata ssd in. it requires a total teardown, flipping the mobo to access the msata slot. once you get pass that one, the rest is pretty easy.
    Last edited by rewben; 11-26-2014 at 01:56 PM. Reason: removed missing images.

New ROGer Array

Hey everyone!

Question to the OP:
    I've read a bit your guide about restoring from WIM with DISM, I've found my recovery wim, can I burn this into a bootable BD-R with winPE and use DISM from there? I would be wiping the disk completely, saving a copy of the disk layout, and restoring directly from there, I would like to try Win7 in this laptop, but I don't wanna lose the original stock recovery image, and ghosting my C drive does not interest me at all right now...
    Could that be doable?

Thanks in advance

rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

hi @bidomo, i think it will work, but i never tried that before sorry. about BD-R, i think the better storage media are external storage or usb stick. (i have least problems using these two, and they are much faster to complete the task)

actually i use this dism trick since w7. it works well till today (w8.1). i keep all my custom wim's in an external storage. i boot the machine with the windows install usb as usual, with the external storage connected to the machine at the same time. then i just reformat the OS partition/volume only and use dism to install windows.

in the case when i have wiped the disk clean, i will go through the windows installation with bootable usb once (i let it create the default layout first, because i am lazy to use diskpart most of the times. a simple script will do the same actually hehe), then reformat the OS partition and install a fresh copy of windows using dism and a custom wim.

imo all that matters is you keep the recovery wim in an external storage as a backup

ROG Member Array

So I am finally gettibg around to installing a SSD on my G75 bk55. Price on black friday are so awesome I can't wait. So I was reading the guide and all of the notes since and it looks straight foreward. My plan is to folow the steps outlined, replacing the old hhd as my primary os drive and games and the old hhd as data. My question is, the tranfering of the os key and reusing the old hhd. After I upgrade bios, I swap the ssd into the primary bay where the hhd was and do a fresh install, can I use the same key? Do I have to unregisted the key so thatwhen I do the fresh install I can use the same one? Then once that is done and the system seems stable, I just put the old hhd into the secondary bay, clean it up and go? Anything special I need to do? Thanks in advance.

New ROGer Array

Thanks for the reply, I already did it, seems to work, and I feel like optical media can be more reliable on the long run, I also got an image of that recovery partition just in case, and I'll be saving it to several HDDs, I already suffered from multiple HDD failure this year (some brand new drives, some old too).

You just need to download the WIndows AIK, run the deployment tool, issue a single command, and prepare your image, very simple steps, you can also add some file manager to make things easier, and a batch script ready to receive a single parameter indicating your OS drive, and it will start restoring the install.wim.

I used to do this on DVD's in an old job I had,I was asking because I didn't know if this method supported UEFI booting and the max file size for ISO+UDF image, well, seems to be larger than BR media.

Keep up the good work!

rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

Quote Originally Posted by tower42 View Post
    So I am finally gettibg around to installing a SSD on my G75 bk55. Price on black friday are so awesome I can't wait. So I was reading the guide and all of the notes since and it looks straight foreward. My plan is to folow the steps outlined, replacing the old hhd as my primary os drive and games and the old hhd as data. My question is, the tranfering of the os key and reusing the old hhd. After I upgrade bios, I swap the ssd into the primary bay where the hhd was and do a fresh install, can I use the same key? Do I have to unregisted the key so thatwhen I do the fresh install I can use the same one? Then once that is done and the system seems stable, I just put the old hhd into the secondary bay, clean it up and go? Anything special I need to do? Thanks in advance.
    if your current windows is w7/8, advanced tokens manager can be used to back up and restore activation tokens. this is at least true if you swap the hdd with ssd only, without any other hardware changes.

as for w8.1 and up, the above method cannot be guaranteed. however, since you have a legit key, you can always call MS to help activate the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by bidomo View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I already did it, seems to work, and I feel like optical media can be more reliable on the long run, I also got an image of that recovery partition just in case, and I'll be saving it to several HDDs, I already suffered from multiple HDD failure this year (some brand new drives, some old too).

You just need to download the WIndows AIK, run the deployment tool, issue a single command, and prepare your image, very simple steps, you can also add some file manager to make things easier, and a batch script ready to receive a single parameter indicating your OS drive, and it will start restoring the install.wim.

I used to do this on DVD's in an old job I had,I was asking because I didn't know if this method supported UEFI booting and the max file size for ISO+UDF image, well, seems to be larger than BR media.

Keep up the good work!
    thanks a lot for confirming the method works fine for you, too multiple hdd failures in a year? the quality of hdd's these days are really questionable. multiple backups are really essential :/

yes, there are many ways to use .wim file.

uefi booting should work for windows 7/8.x, provided that all the basic prerequisites are fulfilled, and the machine bios supports it, regardless of source media. however, different manufacturers implement uefi in different ways. that's why i use usb stick as the install medium, so that i can made changes here and there on the fly.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by rewben View Post
    if your current windows is w7/8, advanced tokens manager can be used to back up and restore activation tokens. this is at least true if you swap the hdd with ssd only, without any other hardware changes.
    Its windows 7. I plan on swapping out the old traditional HHD with the SSD, THEN use the old HDD as my data drive, removing all of the old windows files.

I am also going to up my ram from 8 to 16, but I will do later after i get the system stable.

Thanks for the help rewben.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast