Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

I agree with deftelement and yangshmarine, you truly are helpful and makes life easier for us newbs I bid thee thanx again! =)

Ive been searching more for SSDs when I have been deciding to buy or not to buy that lovely 75VX. I just found this one: Corsair Neutron and it seems to have a really reliable overall performance. The new a link controller dont have an old trustworthy record but I hope we can trust Corsair...

Now its deciding time for me, yesterday I talked with the techs at the store where I left my old MSi GX740 for checkup. The HDD is apparently broken on it so now I have to decide if I want to buy a new cheap 2,5HDD for the old laptop.. or to buy a new G75VX. The old laptop has it disadvantages, its a big crack in the plast shell between the screen, its old and slow and modern games dont work that good, its noisy, terrible battery life (which usually isnt an issue but sometimess its nice to be able to use it for studying somewhere without power available).

Buying a new comp is something I dont have saved money for atm so I have to take it on a payback loan, which means about 500SEK/75USD per month in cost...

Hard choices!! =)

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

hi @hobs0n, thank you. we really appreciate the encouragement from you guys

for Corsair Neutron, i don't have the chance to try it out, so i don't have anything useful to share about it. but when i compared the price at newegg.com, i think it's cheaper to get a plextor m5p extreme, as of this writing (199.99) than this one (209.99). plextor's ssd is a newer release than CN, with higher iops (100k read especially); same 5-year manufacturer warranty.

in terms of g75vx, it's an refined release for the g75vw imo. it has some minor but new features that are not available in g75vw (thunderbolt, better gpu, at least).

when you do purchase a g75 vx, please ask the seller for exchange / return policies. this is a preventive measure as a consumer (even if i have confidence in the build quality of g75vx). please make sure you confirm that everything works as expected (cpu/gpu temps; absence of dead/stuck pixels, abnormal colors (display); common ports that you use daily; ethernet and wifi; etc.). it's common for electronic equipment that if the unit is defective from out of box, then it will be your night mare for the rest of its lifespan.

ROG Member Array

Cloned failed

Dear Reuben,

NEED HELP!

I got my SSD yesterday and tried to the Cloning Method ( i prefer over fresh install coz i wish to clone the recovery partition over to the SSD, for the F9 function) using the Macrium Reflect). Once copied, everything is running ok, except when i tried the F9 function upon startup. The whole hardisk seem to be failed, i cant access to the F9 recovery function and the window boots itself. Any idea what causing this?

Thanks.

rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

@yangshfmarine, how did you clone your hdd to ssd? when you said, 'everything is running ok' did you mean it booted ok or the cloning was ok?

normally, as far as i know, cloning will definitely cause f9 recovery to fail. when you cloned the stock hdd to ssd, there are something low-level that were messed up during the process (knowing that a small ssd cannot take all of the 750gb/1tb stock hdd).

ROG Member Array

@Rewben

Hey man, thanks for your prompt reply. Really appreciate it...

The Cloning was successful through M.Reflect, all partitions are copied from HDD to SSD, then i swapped the bays. then it booted ok, everything elses are ok, eg .browsing etc...

However, when i tried the F9 upon startup again, the hardisk just died. the screen has the disk need to be reset and could never be booted again! So, i need to swap back the hardisks then delete all partitions in the SSD, through EASEUS partition magic.

Now i am clueless on my next step...except for a clean install...

Any recommendation from you?

ROG Member Array

@Rewben

Thanks again for your prompt reply, appreciate it...

The cloning was successful through M.Reflect (all partitions in original HDD was cloned successfully to SSD)
    Then I put the SSD alone in the primary bay, it booted ok and all apps and browing are fine...
    then i restarted my laptop to try the F9 recovery function, then the screen pop up saying the hardisk need to be reset, then i never could boot in window ever again...

Then, i just swapped back the bays again , there i could delete all partitions created in SSD then make it to out-of-facctory like...

Any idea? Recommendation?

Thanks

ROG Member Array

@Rewben

Weird why my posts never show up when I tried to reply you...This is my 3rd attempt...

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

The cloning process was successful ( all partitions are cloned to the SSD) then I swap the SSD to the HDD bay then it booted up perfectly and smoothly, usual task like browsing the net and so on were running perfectly also.

Then i go ahead have it shutted down to test the F9 Recovery , then the error appeared, saying the hardisk has error to reboot etc, then it cant boot into windows ever again, then i need to swap back to the original HDD and wondering what did i do wrong....

Any idea? or recommendation?

Thanks

rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

hm.. something is wrong; you have triple-posted lol!

that means the cloning was successful and the cloned OS actually ran well, except for the f9 recovery. in that case, just do the cloning once again, but don't use f9 recovery for recovery purposes.

a clean install will not have a f9 recovery, unless you create a custom image yourself.

ROG Member Array

Yeah..i realised that (triple posted)

I guess i got no other choice but to leave the Recovery Partition in the old HDD drive.
    Say if one day i would need to use Recovery Partition, could i just swap it to primary again, then use the F9 function?
    Could it still be functional since the OS isnt installed in the HDD?

rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

@yangshfmarine, sorry but from what i've read, it will be better if you leave the stock hdd alone and intact if you wanna have a working f9 recovery with it. although imo there should be something that we can do to call it out after messing with other partitions, there was no reported working steps for this purpose yet.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast