cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely long boot times after installing AI Suite 2 (RIVE)

Igb
Level 7
Hi.

It is quite simple to explain, the fact is, that after installing most recent version of AI Suite my boot times go from about 25 secs (including POST) to about 2 minutes, most of them waiting in the login screen (on windows 8 pro x64)

Note that i had the same problem in windows 7 x64 aswell, but i could not isolate it to AI Suite (since i installed a lot of new software and had no time to carefully test when started to happen). On win7 the behaviour is quite different, the computer boots normally, but the network taskbar icon its frozen, and some applications (firefox, or outlook for example) will not open after 1-2minutes from booting (i could notice when my computer was ready to use because the network icon went back to normal)

Uninstalling the applicacion does NOT solve the problem created, but a system restore thankfully does (i do not like the idea of a second full SO reinstall this week :P).

My systems specs (if not already here) are as follows:

I changed about 4 days ago the main disk to a samsung 840, but same problem was visible with "old" vertex 4

Any support regarding this, or a report of the bug to be fixed would be very appreciated.

Many thanks, and best regards
25 REPLIES 25

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
I've posted this before, most of us don't use Ai Suite:

HalloweenWeed wrote:
Asus Ai Suite locks up when running LinX/IBT, for 2sec. or more (maybe minutes) at a time. When LinX/IBT runs at peak it almost never updates temps/fan speeds. It also installs a Windows service called "AsusFanControlService" that sometimes don't uninstall when you uninstall Asus Ai Suite. Asus Ai Suite and "AsusFanControlService" is known to interfere with other temp/speed monitoring utilities. I had to manually edit it out of my registry before I could banish it from my SSD (after a full reboot); on one of my computers. On the other it uninstalled properly removing "AsusFanControlService" from my services. It appears that "AsusFanControlService" interferes with SpeedFan, as it was erroneous before I got rid of "AsusFanControlService." Perhaps Probe II uses the same "AsusFanControlService," IDK, I've never tried to use Probe II without Ai Suite installed.

It sounds like AsusFanControlService didn't uninstall for you. FYI.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

Many thanks for your info.

But... seems quite strange... i mean, Bad luck two times in a row, with different operating systems, clean install both times? I think this must be a more serious problem than a corrupt installation.

I noticed no problems when runing IBT/Lynx (did not tested extensively though), only that boot times. But seems like a recurrent issue with my hardware.

I will stick to old AI suite for the moment, but would like to hear that Asus is working to adress the issue 😉

edit: I think is quite improbable that in my specific case is caused by a conflict with other monitoring programs... in win7 i had msi afterburner (for gpu), but in windows8 i have almost no other software installed.

Best regards.

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
I didn't notice any longer boot time W/Ai Suite. And the compatibility issue was not directed at you, it was merely what I had posted before. I'd imagine that Asus is heavily testing a new ver of Ai Suite right now for Win8. However, it may have nothing to do with your issue. Actually, you issue sounds more like Asus Update (part of the Suite). It checks the Asus servers for updates, and could possibly lengthen the boot time if your ping times were high to the Asus servers, or if the servers took a while to respond, theoretically. But this is all just a guessing game.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.

Igb
Level 7
Seems excessive times for an update check... i know that is nearly impossible to guarantee any speed to a server, specially if it is very far geographycally but... 2 minutes? i guess that must be a timeout or something. And the extra time remains after uninstalling, so I am guessing the problem has to do more with one of the services like you stated before.

I hope the new version is already addressing the problem, but I find extrange that no more users noticed the problem (since I think i have a quite common setup for a high end PC), and definitely is not related to windows 8

Many thanks one more time

Igb
Level 7
Some information, just in case it can be useful:

1) Installed AI Suite selecting only Fan Xpert and MyLogo: It does NOT hang on login screen. But the fan control service seems to last quite long to start, i have to wait 20+ seconds until i can open an application, like i was experiencing back on win7, way shorter but same problem.

2) Restored system, Installed AI Suite selecting only MyLogo Alone: No problems or hangs at all. It does not slow down boot (apart from being a quite heavy process), nor prevents applications from being open.

Seems like the problem is in one (or more) of the modules... and Fan Xpert being one in the problematic side. Bad news for me, i used to rely on Fan Xpert as my fan control application 😞

Hope a new version is released soon... and a new version that solves my problem will be even better xD

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
It is better to use BIOS for fan control anyway, if you are overclocking. When you have an instability any Windows application may hang, causing the current fan speed settings to "stick". Theoretically, this could overheat your CPU as the fan might not come up to speed like it should, causing heat damage to your CPU. Use the BIOS settings, here's mine for your reference:
Monitor menu:
Anti surge support: Disabled
Fan speed control submenu:
CPU Q-fan control: Enabled (default)
CPU fan speed low limit: 600RPM (default)
CPU fan profile: Manual
CPU upper temperature: 55
CPU fan max. duty cycle(%): 100
CPU lower temperature: 40
CPU fan min. duty cycle(%): 60
Chassis Q-fan control: Enabled (default)
Chassis fan speed low limit: 600RPM (default)
Chassis fan profile: Manual
Chassis upper temperature: 55
Chassis fan max. duty cycle(%): 100
Chassis lower temperature: 40 (non-adjustable)
Chassis fan min. duty cycle(%): 60 (minimum)
PCH fan control: Profile mode
PCH fan profile: Optional

The OPT fan settings do not matter, as it appears there is no real speed control on those.
These settings result in CPU_FAN1, CPU_FAN2, and CHA_FANs to all speed up in unison. This is an agressive fan speed profile, the fans don't spend much time between minimum (60%) and max. They jump up to full speed quickly, before the CPU gets hot. 60% is the minimum speed for Q-fan control of the CHA fans. Adjust to your liking, and remember, this uses CPU package temp (CPUTIN) NOT core temps. GL.

Shoktronic
Level 7
I'm also having the same problem. The version that came on the install CD had no problems. The latest release causes my system to hang on boot up. S3 no problems.

After checking Windows action center it constantly reports the Asus fan controller is the problem.

Description
Service AsusFanControlService hung on starting.
Faulting Application Path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.01.15\AsusFanControlService.exe"

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: ServiceHang
Service Name: AsusFanControlService
Image Name: AsusFanControlService.exe"
Image Version: 0.0.0.0
Service Type: 10
Start Type: 2
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

The funny thing is I removed the AI Suite yet windows is still saying its hanging???

I like using the fan control because I can adjust my fans on the fly. I have 10 fans in my case so the noise can be considerable at time which is why I use the controller.

I too wish Asus would do or say something as to what they are doing to resolve this.

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
Go to Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Computer management -> Services and applications -> Services
R-click on AsusFanControlService, select "properties."
Change "Startup type" to "disabled."
Click OK on all menus and close them, reboot.

I think maybe a recent Windows update has made certain ver of Ai Suite incompatible.

Igb
Level 7
I control fans on BIOS usually (and the cpu has no fan in my case, i use a liquid cooling loop so the sensor is marked as "ignored" in BIOS... now I am suspecting of that causing problems probably? ), but as Shoktronic stated, sometimes is very useful to have the option to control them "on the fly", for quick adjustings, testing the sound of a profile in a real scenario, you know... anyways, it is not the most important part of AI suite, but i want it for sure to be fixed if possible 😉

...and apart from that, I never liked very much the default bios regulation of optional fans, as far as i know they use also cpu temp as reference

My overclock is rock stable (24h of OCCT and months with no crashes can say that), but anyways, just for you to be sure, i tried without overclock with same results while trying to identify the problem.

Shoktronic, just for my curiosity, Do you have any fan as "Ignored" in BIOS?