cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.0 Driver Problem

Werewolf13
Level 7
Bought a seagate usb 3.0 extenal drive to plug into my GS74SX with a USB 3.0 port.

Plugged it in and nada.

Looked to see if drivers installed thru the control panel. Didn't see them

Tried to install the latest and greatest Fresco Logic drivers off of support.asus.com

Installation runs and then tells me no Fresco Logic Host Controller found.

I've never had the need to use USB 3.0 since I bought the laptop. It is out of warranty.

Is the controller just dead? Or is there a file I need to run other than the FLUSB file prior to installing the drivers.

If the host controller is just turned off is there a way to turn it on. Troubleshoot? How do I tell if it is really dead and not just hiding.
11 REPLIES 11

dstrakele
Level 14
1) Does the Fresco Logic Host Controller appear in Device Manager?

2) If so, right-click on it and choose "Properties" from the popup menu. Does it indicate an error for the device?

3) If there is an error, what is the exact text?

4) Are the USB 2.0 ports disabled as well?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
1) Does the Fresco Logic Host Controller appear in Device Manager?

2) If so, right-click on it and choose "Properties" from the popup menu. Does it indicate an error for the device?

3) If there is an error, what is the exact text?

4) Are the USB 2.0 ports disabled as well?

Device manager shows 4 hubs which is the number of USB ports available. All show working. None shows up as a 3.0 USB hub. One used to but not now. I've used the port before for 2.0 USB devices without issue. Now it is completely dead or at least doesn't recognize anything plugged into it.

Pitcher1
Level 9
is your OS win 7? please make sure your usb 3.0 port have show at device manager, or is it enable at BIOS? how is install usb charger?

Mike_Lu@ASUS wrote:
is your OS win 7? please make sure your usb 3.0 port have show at device manager, or is it enable at BIOS? how is install usb charger?

Win7 64b home premium. The port assigned to USB 3.0 on the right side used to see any USB device plugged into it. Now it doesn't recognize any device plugged into it.

It's almost like when I ran the Asus recover disk after a major system crash that it set up all the ports as standard ports instead of 3 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0. The device manager just shows 4 hubs all working normally. Is that 1 hub for each port? Device manager also shows 2 USB Root Hubs both of which are working properly.

Is it possible that the port that is supposed to be assigned to USB 3.0 got 2.0 drivers installed which are not compatible with 3.0 hardware? If so how does one ID the right hub to install the Fresco Logic drivers to. If not why would device manager show 4 hubs working properly and both root hubs working properly?

Mike_Lu@ASUS wrote:

Win7 64b home premium. The port assigned to USB 3.0 on the right side used to see any USB device plugged into it. Now it doesn't recognize any device plugged into it.

It's almost like when I ran the Asus recover disk after a major system crash that it set up all the ports as standard ports instead of 3 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0. The device manager just shows 4 hubs all working normally. Is that 1 hub for each port? Device manager also shows 2 USB Root Hubs both of which are working properly.

Is it possible that the port that is supposed to be assigned to USB 3.0 got 2.0 drivers installed which are not compatible with 3.0 hardware? If so how does one ID the right hub to install the Fresco Logic drivers to. If not why would device manager show 4 hubs working properly and both root hubs working properly?

dstrakele
Level 14
If you UNinstall ASUS Ai Charger Plus and reboot, can you then successfully install the Fresco Logic USB 3.0 driver? If so, I recommend also installing the AsPatch.

You may have a hardware problem. Device Manager may show 4 hubs working properly and both root hubs working properly while the physical USB 3.0 port is damaged, so that no USB device can connect.

Boosted_R
Level 8
does the ASUS Ai Charger Plus help with USB 3.0 performance ?
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

dstrakele
Level 14
There does appear to be a connection to Several have reported they've resolved their USB 3.0 connection issues by updating the Fresco Logic USB 3.0 driver and uninstalling, then reinstalling ASUS Ai Charger Plus.

dstrakele wrote:
There does appear to be a connection to Several have reported they've resolved their USB 3.0 connection issues by updating the Fresco Logic USB 3.0 driver and uninstalling, then reinstalling ASUS Ai Charger Plus.

Did a small back to back test: Transferring a 2.5GB video

Without Charger Plus : starts of : 95mb/s - 115mb/s then leveling off around 105mb/s - 106mb/s
With Charger Plus : starts of : 115mb/s - 130mb/s then leveling off around 109mb/s - 113mb/s

small gain, kinda worth it, maybe bigger gains with multiple files

Hardware: WD 1.5TB My Passport
Fresco Driver : 3.5.4.0 (the newest driver keeps disconnecting the WD external)
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23