cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Optical Drive for SSD.

relandwong
Level 7
Hi guys, I'm currently using the Asus G55vw. As I have a 5400rpm harddisk, I wish to install a ssd to act as a boot drive. As the msata slot is not user accessible, I will get a 2.5 ssd instead. However I wish to keep the 1tb for data storage. Is it possible for me to remove the optical drive and install ssd?
6 REPLIES 6

Paulovrv
Level 8
Maybe this #3 (drakon reply) could help you somehow.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?26373-need-help-with-installing-Hybrid-G75VW&p=196073&viewf...
G75VW-BHI7N07: i7-3630QM * 32Gb ram Crucial * Windows damn 8 PRO
Kingston HyperX 3K 120 SSD + 1TB hdd (sad 5400 rpm)

rewben
Level 13
yes, you can do that; a 12.7mm sata-to-sata hdd caddy will do the job.

the step to do this is very simple:
1. replace your hdd with the new ssd;
2. put the hdd in the caddy;
3. replace the dvdrom with caddy.

just open up the back cover of your g55, take out the single screw (there is a label 'ODD' in case you ask which one) that secure the dvdrom. you should also transfer the bezel and the metal piece on the dvdrom that is used to secure the device to the laptop.

rewben wrote:
yes, you can do that; a 12.7mm sata-to-sata hdd caddy will do the job.

the step to do this is very simple:
1. replace your hdd with the new ssd;
2. put the hdd in the caddy;
3. replace the dvdrom with caddy.

just open up the back cover of your g55, take out the single screw (there is a label 'ODD' in case you ask which one) that secure the dvdrom. you should also transfer the bezel and the metal piece on the dvdrom that is used to secure the device to the laptop.
But after I replace my hdd with the ssd and play the hdd into the dvdrom slot, what about the window inside my hdd? How do I transfer them to the ssd? Or I could simply does a clean install using a new disc into the ssd?

I have the g75 and have posted about this I have 2x1tb 5400hdd and am putting one of them in optical drive as its sata 2 thaw main slots are sata 3 my problem was that my optical drive was slimline sata so I had to order a hdd caddy made especially for my g75 just letting you know. Search for g55 hdd caddy on eBay

xperiaplayerpro wrote:
I have the g75 and have posted about this I have 2x1tb 5400hdd and am putting one of them in optical drive as its sata 2 thaw main slots are sata 3 my problem was that my optical drive was slimline sata so I had to order a hdd caddy made especially for my g75 just letting you know. Search for g55 hdd caddy on eBay

Thanks for the info. :cool:

rewben
Level 13
good question. you can do either one; but i suggest you do a fresh install.