Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array Rockford's Avatar

Yes, many techniques..

If using a conductive paste, its prob wise to choose a method, that wont risk paste outside the cpu..

But most of the pastes today, has a low electric conductivity..

So is there any reason, do go with the older ones?

ROG Enthusiast Array Hillguy PC Specs
    Hillguy PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 6950X
    Memory (part number)32GB GSkill Trident Z 3200
    Graphics Card #1Evga GTX 780Ti SC
    Graphics Card #2Evga GTX 780Ti SC
    Graphics Card #3Evga GTX 780Ti SC
    MonitorAsus PB278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Evo
    Storage #2Samsung 840 Evo
    CPU CoolerKoolance CPU-370 WaterBlock
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000BWS
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i Dual PSU Setup
    Keyboard Razer DeathStalker
    Mouse Razer Death Adder
    Headset/Speakers 5.1 Surround
    OS W 7
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk AC1900
    Accessory #1 Koolance 2 x RP-1000 Pumps
    Accessory #2 Koolance 2 x EHX-1320 4x120mm Rads
    Accessory #3 3 x 780Ti Aquacomputer Waterblocks

Quote Originally Posted by WhitePaw View Post
    Yes, many techniques..

If using a conductive paste, its prob wise to choose a method, that wont risk paste outside the cpu..

But most of the pastes today, has a low electric conductivity..

So is there any reason, do go with the older ones?
    No it's just an old link I had bookmarked , and I agree about the conductive compounds .... so I try to avoid them.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

I still use MX2 or Ceramique on all my builds. Not sure it makes so much of a difficult.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by jdbtwo View Post
    I have a 3970X with an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme ( latest BIOS ), 64GB of 2400MHz G.Skill DDR3 F3-19200CL10Q2-64GBZHD and a Corsair H100i ( In a quad 2x-2x push-pull config ).

I've tried two thermal interface materials :

1) Indigo Extreme
    2) Arctic Silver 5 ( what I'm currently running with )

( Note that I used Realtemp GT for measuring temperatures and prime95 x64 at the "maximum heat" setting for load testing below )

With the Indigo Xtreme, even after reflow, my load temps at stock were upwards of 75C+ but only about 29C idle. They did get high enough about 4 times to shut off my computer due to thermal protection ( 90C? ).

Now with the Arctic Silver 5, my load temps are "better" around 50-60C but idle is a craptastic 35C. That's pretty sad considering I tinted the CPU heatspeader and the H100i water block with Arctic Silver 5 and used the 1mm "vertical line" method of application on the CPU as well as rotating the H100i water block several times before bolting down.

Note that I've disabled Intel Enhanced Speedstep so I'm running at 4.0GHz most of the time. I've also disabled C1E .

Just FYI my batch number is 3238B264 .

I should be seeing idle temps of around 25C and load temps of around 40-45C.

CPU-Z says my load Vcore is around 1.384V ( after Vdroop ) and at 1.4V when idle when the Vcore is set to "AUTO" in the BIOS.

This seems quite high. The default "AUTO" Vcore is 1.256V. I've been running prime95 with small ffts for about 7 hours straight without errors at a manual 1.265 Vcore so it seems that I haven't reached the lower limit yet on Vcore and this is 4.0GHz at load. My temps have also improved remarkably, with the coolest core coming in at 49C .

So, I guess my question is, how low can you push the RIVE-3970X Vcore voltage with a load frequency of 4.0GHz before expecting instability?

Thanks,

jdbtwo
    Guys i using the same parts i7 3970x rampage 4 and h100i with Artic Silver 5 but just stock fan and i have core max 68c (prime 95). Thats mean i have done something wrong with my paste ? Cpu on stock mode

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2