cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55 Thunderbolt issues

Jayster
Level 7
Looks like I screwed up and got into some new tech before it was ready.. Oh well.. Here we go. Praying you guys can help me:

The computer:
G55 thunderbolt edition

The OS
Windows 8

The issue:
I have tried to connect two different thunderbolt drives to the system. A buffalo and a LaCie. Both spin up, a tone from windows says it sees it. However the drive does not show up (Yes it was formatted to NTSF via USB 3 before I tried this).

In Device manager, under STANDARD SATA AHCI CONTROLLER I am told windows cannot find enough resources to run this and I will need to disable another device in order to use it.

In other words.. IT DOESn"T WORK!!!

Any help would be great. Excited to be here.

Jay
12 REPLIES 12

Tomislav
Level 11
ok maybe a stupid question: are you 100% shure that your thunderbolt is thunderbolt? does it have a sticker ?
ASUS G75VX
Win 8, i7-3630QM, 2,4 GHz, GeForce GTX 670MX, 8 GB Ram,120 Gb Samsung 840 SSD+750 Gb HDD

taz291819
Level 8
Yeah, if it's truly a Thunderbolt port (and not just a display port), it'll have a white and blue sticker next to it.

desolator4u
Level 7
The problem is that some of these are advertised to have Thunderbolt, even reviews have stated taht as well, but it was always mistaken for the Display Port, which is probably the same situation you're in.
8700K / Noctua U12S / Maximus X Hero / 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti / Seasonic Prime 650W / 4 x 1TB SSD / 970 Pro 512GB M.2 / Game Zero Headset / K95 Platinum / Logitech G502 / Win 10 x64/ ViewSonic XG2701 1080p 144Hz

Tomislav
Level 11
Yeah but if it has a sticker it should be thunderbolt...display port has a little lightning inside a square engraved above the port. And yes since July there are G55 with thunderbolt but not in all regions.Even Marshall said it. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17015-G55-Thunderbolt-clarification

So you most probably have a thunderbolt display...and I don't have a clue how to help you. Sorry, will look into it...but my first thought is windows 8 drivers...
ASUS G75VX
Win 8, i7-3630QM, 2,4 GHz, GeForce GTX 670MX, 8 GB Ram,120 Gb Samsung 840 SSD+750 Gb HDD

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. Yes I do have the blue and white sticker. There is no doubt the system had Thunderbolt.. If it actually supports it is another thing.

So with that question answered.. Any other ideas? I'll try to screen shots soon

Jay

I'm getting a code 12 in device manager every time I try to plug in a Thunderbolt Drive.. I'm curious does anyone have a G55 with Thunderbolt that is actually WORKING?!

Jay

taz291819
Level 8
Just found this article:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/12/3016012/thunderbolt-windows-hot-plug-msi-z77agd80

Maybe the hot-plug issue hasn't been resolved. Try powering down the laptop, connect the Thunderbolt device, and then turn it on.

Jayster
Level 7
Tried.. No go.. Spoke to asus support.. They were TERRIBLE. What country are those people in anyway?!
Jay

Jayster wrote:
Tried.. No go.. Spoke to asus support.. They were TERRIBLE. What country are those people in anyway?!
Jay

Infact, for thunderbolt in windows system, driver need to allocate resource to devices. So if it show "cannot find enough resources", it should be the problem of drivers. Try to install the device driver instead of using windows inbox driver.