cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you prefer Windows 8 button over the classic one?

AlexTheRepublic
Level 9
Hey, ROG fellows! This is kinda an off-topic discussion about the Windows 8 button. Most people nowadays like this modern Windows 8 button. Do you ROGers like it? I'm asking this because my father designed it. LOL joking :P! But anyway, to be honest I love it, I consider it as a big step for Microsoft and a very representative way of advancing and design progression. Oh by the way my 2013 G55 has it :D!
12 REPLIES 12

gokica
Level 10
I think the Republicans invented it. Maybe that is why you are so fond of it. Ha, ha. I am just kidding.

Apexing
Level 9
windows 8 button?
what do you mean, the metro ui? the logo on boot up?
if its either, then yea i like it.
metro ui is just a fullscreen start menu. easy access by clicking the windows button on the keyboard, and closes the same way.
and heck. most ppl know the keyboard shortcuts for stuff they use a lot.

mrwolf
Level 10
Ah ive got my windows 7 all Skinned out with ROG logo's hehe 😛

mrwolf wrote:
Ah ive got my windows 7 all Skinned out with ROG logo's hehe 😛
Very cool!

Clintlgm
Level 14
No I don't like the Win 8 interface at all. I have Classic Shell, I boot directly to log in, straight to desktop, I have a complete shut down button set up. My wife also has classic Shell, but she still has the lock screen then log in and then Win 8 tiles she goes from there to desktop. She is learning the tile set up and since she has a touch screen and only uses one window at a time I think she'll get used to it. Nov Dec Jan she still bitches about the interface and she never multi tasks. She uses classic shell to reboot and shutdown. She also complains about not haveing POP email support and refused to use Outlook still we'll see how that comes out.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
I still prefer the mouse and keyboard interface in Win8 and like using the 2 methods below to get around and open desktop items.
Basically, you can open many desktop items directly from the Win8 interface without switching to the desktop interface first.

1. At the Win8 interface, right click on the bottom left-hand corner to pull up the options for device manager, file explorer and other desktop menu items. There is actually a way you can customize this menu with some effort, but I haven't tried it.
2. At the Win8 interface, just start typing whatever you want to run (like 'calculator') to pull up the search interface (you don't need to pull up the search 'charm' first to start searching, just type) and select it, but don't forget to look under the 'settings' or 'files' when necessary and not just the 'apps'.

There are also plenty of keyboard shortcuts you can use, but I haven't memorized many of them yet.

Hope this helps those to 'tolerate' Win8 a little more!

Primeval
Level 7
Yes I like how it looks. I also like Windows 8 in general since it feels more stable, secure, etc... but the downside is that it was made for mobile devices, so it feels awkward using it without touch screen technology. In addition, they removed the glassy transparent theme that they had on Windows Vista and Windows 7, which is extremely stupid because almost everybody loved that.
ASUS G46VW Owner

Intel Core i5-3210m @ 2.5 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 2GB, 750 GB HDD, 8 GB RAM, 14" 720p/1366x768 display

yeah i am getting used to it after a while. with keyboard it's much more easier.

Tomislav
Level 11
well I didn't love areo themes in win 7 (and that was the only thing I didn't like) I use win 8 start button (not metro but the start button there is a program for that) works same as win 7. I love having my shutdown options and the normal search options at hand. I would use metro on a touch screen this way it seems rather pointless...
ASUS G75VX
Win 8, i7-3630QM, 2,4 GHz, GeForce GTX 670MX, 8 GB Ram,120 Gb Samsung 840 SSD+750 Gb HDD