Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55VW Wifi Problem

ZenosteR
Level 7
Hello all.
Brief History:
1. Purchased G55VW from Amazon. G55 #1 had a problem with wifi. The computer would connect to the router, but internet could not be reached. I have 3 other PCs that access this network without issues. I have reinstalled a number of drivers Atheros Wifi versions 9 - 10 and no change. I called Asus Support. Asked me to do the exact same thing, no change. I blamed back luck for receiving a lemon and returned it to Amazon for a replacement.

2. Replacement G55VW arrived from Amazon. Long story short, same problem. Fiddled with 10.0 drivers from Asus website and Atheros website to no avail. Contacted Asus support... Got a case number and no resolution.

I LOVE this laptop. It is quite an amazing machine. But no wifi is a deal breaker. I have searched a number of times and have not found anyone complaining about this. There are some discussions about Atheros Drivers and Windows 8, but no solutions. I've tried all the "solutions" I've found online. Is there a bad batch of Atheros G55s that some how made it to Amazon?

The funny thing is I plugged in a noname USB network adapter from another PC and I get internet through there no problem.

Details:
Core i7 3630
Windows 8
Atheros 9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter

I'll give the forum a shot. If that doesn't work, then back to Amazon it goes... I will probably not seek a replacement.

Does anyone have experience with this issue?

Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Welcome to the forums! 🙂 Sorry to hear about your G55, since that is strange. I'm no expert in the area, but I have a G53SX which has an Atheros card as well, but it has no problems with either LINUX or Windows. This is what LINUX tells me I have:
Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

Have you tried uninstalling the driver from Device Manager and rebooting the computer to see what Windows re-installs?

Actually, I am curious, does the second system have problems with Internet access, but not the local WiFi network? That sounds like a configuration problem on either your router or your computer. If the WiFi card were faulty, it wouldn't connect to the network.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, I have uninstalled the drivers from the device manager. When I reboot Windows uses some Microsoft Qualcomm Atheros driver. That one does not work at all.

Not sure about the router being the problem. I have 3 other PCs an iphone and ipad connected with no problems. The only constant is that the G55s don't seem to like it. I was going to experiment by taking mine to work to see if it connects there. I am using WPA2 encryption as well.

Could it be a driver issue if I can connect to the access point but cannot resolve internet addresses?

Forgot to answer: It does "see" some other PCs on the network, but does not connect to them. I can't see my NAS either.
Thanks again!

rewben
Level 13
@ZenosteR, what is the version number for your driver? i cannot guarantee this will work for you (but mine is actually working fine here):

1. please turn off the power saving feature for the wifi (device manager > network adapters > wifi > power management;
2. in terms of drivers, can you please tell us which versions you have tried before, or currently using?
3. can your wifi card connect to the router, assigned with the valid ip?

also, please look for @dstrakele's posts. he has a number of good advices and tips on the wifi trouble shooting. alternatively, google 'site:rog.asus.com wifi wireless issue g75' without quotes.

rewben wrote:
@ZenosteR, what is the version number for your driver? i cannot guarantee this will work for you (but mine is actually working fine here):

1. please turn off the power saving feature for the wifi (device manager > network adapters > wifi > power management;
2. in terms of drivers, can you please tell us which versions you have tried before, or currently using?
3. can your wifi card connect to the router, assigned with the valid ip?
also, please look for @dstrakele's posts. he has a number of good advices and tips on the wifi trouble shooting. alternatively, google 'site:rog.asus.com wifi wireless issue g75' without quotes.

1. Already tried this. no effect
2. ok, MS driver vs 3.0.0.130, Atheros Drivers: Win8 - 10.0.0.217, 10.0.0.209, and the one it came with 9.0.x.xx..
3. Yes, and I have tried to give it a static route (no dhcp) based on findings from your search advice below. No luck.

Ok, Interesting thing: I was able to see my other PC on the network and download a shared file. Still no access to the internet on the G55. All others have no problem.

ZenosteR wrote:
1. Already tried this. no effect
2. ok, MS driver vs 3.0.0.130, Atheros Drivers: Win8 - 10.0.0.217, 10.0.0.209, and the one it came with 9.0.x.xx..
3. Yes, and I have tried to give it a static route (no dhcp) based on findings from your search advice below. No luck.

Ok, Interesting thing: I was able to see my other PC on the network and download a shared file. Still no access to the internet on the G55. All others have no problem.

that probably means something is not right about the DNS on your laptop. when you issue the command nslookup google.com as admin, is the result similar to the following?

C:\Windows\system32>nslookup google.com
Server: UnKnown
Address: your.dns.server

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: google.com
Addresses: 2404:6800:4003:802::1009

rewben wrote:
that probably means something is not right about the DNS on your laptop. when you issue the command nslookup google.com as admin, is the result similar to the following?

I get the same result with different IP addresses both with the Atheros and with the USB WIfi card.
I don't understand what DNS has specifically to do with this problem considering that I just plugin my USB wifi dongle and it works like clockwork. If it were a network settings issue in Win8, wouldn't that affect all wifi connections?

sing_css
Level 9
Try to reinstall the ATk package and the wireless console 3~

Belenos
Level 7
What about a wired connection? Does it work with LAN?

Belenos wrote:
What about a wired connection? Does it work with LAN?

Yes, the LAN works fine.