cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to a change in HW

Ostergaard76
Level 7
Hi All,

My big hope is to get a little help from all you guys..

My pc is so old that it allmost needs to be donated to a museum, I'm not up to date in what is new and what is the best.. this is where i hope you all can help me ?

I need input to a brand new PC - and yes I need all from psu to cooling to... all

price ? go nuts !

btw - its a gamer that im looking to build

br. Østergaard
33 REPLIES 33

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forums, Ostergaard76.

You've come to the right place for advice. We have some amazing guys here to help you out. Just a few questions before we start.

Where do you live? And what is your budget for your build?

Will you need a new monitor or are you planning to use your current one? If so, what resolution does it run?

Hi Chino

I live in Copenhagen (or just outside :D)
i dont relly have a budget but the limit is pretty high.. so go nuts

im planning to use the monitor i have now, it's pretty new and runs full HD - cant just remember the resolution - but ill check when i get home

/Østergaard

Gorman
Level 12
Uh, I guess let's start with an ASUS flavor?
Mobo: Z9PE-D8 WS
CPU: 2x i7-3820
GPU: 4x 650TI (or wait for the 700 series, your choice)
RAM: As much as you want, I'd suggest filling all the DIM slots with 8gb sticks.
SSD: 4x256GB SSDs in RAID2 (You'd probably want a controller for this)
Case: One of those fridges from the shops with the glass front + a dehumidifier inside (Hint: make sure to dehumidify before turning on the fridge!)
For bonus points seal the fridge airtight and make a lid for the top, fill with mineral oil and add some bubblers and enjoy your refrigerated submersion gaming computer!

I don't think I missed anything.

EDIT:
Ostergaard76 wrote:
im planning to use the monitor i have now, it's pretty new and runs full HD - cant just remember the resolution - but ill check when i get homed

By the way, "full HD" means "1920x1080", so that is the resolution 😉

Chino
Level 15
I like your mentality, min ven. 🙂

Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme - 7161 kr
Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 2671 kr
Corsair Hydro Series H100i - 803 kr
Corsair Dominator Platinum 64 GB (8 x 8GB) 2133 MHz - 6213 kr
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB - 1634 kr
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB - 1634 kr
Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB - 1459 kr
Asus 12x Blu-ray-combo - 497 kr
ASUS GTX680-DC2-4GD5 - 4026 kr
ASUS GTX680-DC2-4GD5 - 4026 kr
Corsair AX1200i - 2140 kr
Corsair Obsidian 800D - 1888 kr
TOTAL: 34,152 kr (Prices courtesy of Kelkoo)

Gorman
Level 12
I tried to keep it modest, that's why I chose the 3820 over the 3970 ^_^

I think your build is quite nice, but I don't think he needs the WD Raptor, why not just get a few more 840's??

Chino
Level 15
Neither do I but if money is no option then why not have the best that platter has to offer? 🙂 You're absolutely right! Minimum a Raid 0. I'll edit the post now. 😛

Ostergaard76
Level 7
hi guys,

now this looks like something i can use - this will give my build a good starting point.

im not quite sure about the cpu, how much i gain by takeing the 3970 over the 3820 ? i know my wallet get like 1500 $ lighter..
yes i know i did say no limit/budget i just love the extrem builds but is it 1500 $ better ??

edit:
or let me say it another way - Z9PE-D8 WS + 2x i7-3820 - VS - 3970X Extreme + Asus Rampage IV Extreme = the winner is ?

Ostergaard76 wrote:
hi guys,

now this looks like something i can use - this will give my build a good starting point.

im not quite sure about the cpu, how much i gain by takeing the 3970 over the 3820 ? i know my wallet get like 1500 $ lighter..
yes i know i did say no limit/budget i just love the extrem builds but is it 1500 $ better ??

edit:
or let me say it another way - Z9PE-D8 WS + 2x i7-3820 - VS - 3970X Extreme + Asus Rampage IV Extreme = the winner is ?

Well the benefit is that the 3970 is not much better than the 3820, but it's a lot more expensive.

You could also have a Z9PE-D8 WS + 2x3970X

X-ROG
Level 15