Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46GVW ordered from HID

generic
Level 7
I've ordered my G46 from HID. Looking forward to it:

Changes made from the base were:
Intel i7-3840QM
1366 x 768 (shall upgrade to 16x9 when available_)
Crucial M4 SATA3 6Gb/s 256GB mSATA SSD
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 2x2 MIMO
1 Year HIDevolution Global Warranty with LIFETIME HIDevolution Technical Support
Windows 8

I maxed out on the mSATA as it is harder for me to upgrade later. The RAM screen and hard disc are easy to replace, so I shall do this later on, when wife lets me part with more cash (or does not notice...).

The 1 year HID warranty includes both way shipping for repairs twice annually. A company that is prepared to offer this service either has a bad business model, or performs high quality work. I suspect the latter.

I suspect to hate Windows 8 and buy Windows 7 later, but decided to give it a shot... Or more than likely I shall install Ubuntu.
G46VW - Intel Core i7-3840QM @ 2.8 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660m 2GB, Crucial m4 256Gb mSATA SSD, 500 Gb Seagate Momemtus Hybrid HDD, 8 GB RAM, 14" 1366x768/720p screen resolution, Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 2x2 MIMO.
28 REPLIES 28

JwPwns
Level 10
nice to see that someone's running I7 -3840qm, I'm planing to upgrade mine to I7 3820 qm, when you get yours can you post some benchmark and cpu info so i know things better before actually putting the cpu on mine. thank you
Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro

I just recieved my G75VW from HID and there quality of work is outstanding compared I ordered mine with I7 3840 a glossy hd screen upgrade the best on the list and 32 gigs of corsair vengence memory with the killer 1202 and after burner lights. The only bad was it took tow months for me to recieve it. They told me they had issues with my original G75 and decided to build me another one. I am glad they did I would have hated getting a bad laptop out here in Afghanistan.
Custom Asus Rog Strix Helios case, AMD 5950X, Asus Strix AIO 360 using Grizzly Cryonaut paste, Asus Rog Crosshair X570 Formula, 32 Gigs GSkill Silver Royal 4000 ram, Samsung 980 pro 500 gig and 2tb, Asus Strix 3090 OC with Linkup vertical mount adaptor, Asus Thor 1200. Built by me

be77solo
Level 7
generic wrote:
I've ordered my G46 from HID. Looking forward to it:

Changes made from the base were:
Intel i7-3840QM
1366 x 768 (shall upgrade to 16x9 when available_)
Crucial M4 SATA3 6Gb/s 256GB mSATA SSD
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 2x2 MIMO
1 Year HIDevolution Global Warranty with LIFETIME HIDevolution Technical Support
Windows 8

I maxed out on the mSATA as it is harder for me to upgrade later. The RAM screen and hard disc are easy to replace, so I shall do this later on, when wife lets me part with more cash (or does not notice...).

Sweet, sounds like an awesome system! So far I've enjoyed having the i7 in mine, runs nice and cool and performs great!

Was curious, I put that same Crucial mSATA in mine, do you know how they are installing these full sized cards? It physically doesn't attach properly to the mounting screw... I'm fine with how I did mine, using a MacGyver style Gorilla tape/electrical tape combo, but can't see a reseller doing that for a customer. I'd love to see what they came up with, wondering if you asked them by chance.

Good luck with the machine, I'm sure you'll love it like I do mine!
Asus G46VW - i7-3630QM, Crucial m4 256GB mSATA SDD, 750GB HDD, 16GB Vengeance 1866, Nvidia 660mGTX
Asus G73JH-RBBX05 - Samsung 256GB 840 PRO SSD, WD 750GB Black 7.2K, 6GB, Bluray

be77solo wrote:
Sweet, sounds like an awesome system! So far I've enjoyed having the i7 in mine, runs nice and cool and performs great!

Was curious, I put that same Crucial mSATA in mine, do you know how they are installing these full sized cards? It physically doesn't attach properly to the mounting screw... I'm fine with how I did mine, using a MacGyver style Gorilla tape/electrical tape combo, but can't see a reseller doing that for a customer. I'd love to see what they came up with, wondering if you asked them by chance.

Good luck with the machine, I'm sure you'll love it like I do mine!

We were able to remove that mounting screw. It was a fairly easy fix. 😄
HIDevolution
Computers \ Electronics \ Mobile Devices

Ted@HIDevolution wrote:
We were able to remove that mounting screw. It was a fairly easy fix. 😄

Yeah, I removed the screw/tab that was in the way on the bottom case and used the half size card mounting peg on the motherboard as a support, worked great, but the problem I didn't solve perfectly to my perfectionist side was physically securing the full sized mSATA card in place... did you guys add a new mount location onto the motherboard to allow for the mounting screw(s) new location required for the full sized card? Curious mind ha, just a home hobbyist here always looking for a better way 😛 Curious how a retailer that will put his name behind it and warrant the install solved the problem. Glad to know you guys are out there! Look forward to hearing about the new screens when they are available.

Also, have tinkered a bit with Ubuntu, install went fairly smoothly, keyboard backlight/ATK package was the only real driver I needed to investigate that I noticed. Most things just simply worked.
Asus G46VW - i7-3630QM, Crucial m4 256GB mSATA SDD, 750GB HDD, 16GB Vengeance 1866, Nvidia 660mGTX

gabriox
Level 7
HIDevoulution seem to be offering the mSATA ssd as the primary hard drive where the OS is installed. then you can choose a bigger sized hdd as secondary to save movie and all that.

gabriox wrote:
HIDevoulution seem to be offering the mSATA ssd as the primary hard drive where the OS is installed. then you can choose a bigger sized hdd as secondary to save movie and all that.

Yep, that's exactly right from my understanding as well. That's the same as what a few of us that upgraded them ourselves have done as well and it performs fantastic, you'll love it!

My question was a bit more technical and I'm sure probably didn't come up during the sales chats. The slot that is on the motherboard doesn't mount the full sized mSATA cards "properly", and we've gotten a bit creative on how we each mounted ours. Ted @ HID wasn't offering the upgrade for a while, but now apparently is... I was just curious what their solution was.

Enjoy your new machine when it arrives!

Tomislav
Level 11
G46 with those specs! sweet...How much did it cost, if it's not a secret?
ASUS G75VX
Win 8, i7-3630QM, 2,4 GHz, GeForce GTX 670MX, 8 GB Ram,120 Gb Samsung 840 SSD+750 Gb HDD

xeromist
$1974 USD as listed in OP. HID has a configurator on their website so you can see how much various builds would cost, no secret. Not sure if they ship to Croatia. 🙂
http://www.hidevolution.com/asus-g46vw-bhi5n43-2gb-nvidia-gtx-660m-14.html
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…