cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bricked after 223, reset optimized defaults.

Got2xlr8
Level 7
Hi, I'm today's FNG, heres the rundown. (possessed this laptop for 5 hours before bricking btw)
BestBuy G75VW-BBK5 (refurbished, so technically G75VWRF-BBK5) out of the box ran awesome, installed a Crucial M4-128gb SSD, fresh install of Win7, redirected users to the HDD, system singing like a star. the only notable problem after all drivers and utility software installed was a lack of keyboard backlights.

so I figured I'd dig around (mostly on this forum) and found that some other people had resolved the issue by updating the bios, checked mine and I was running one form last June/July (guessing 210) and figured I should bring it up to the current 223.

not my first rodeo, didn't really want to reload my usb as FAT so downloaded the winflash (i know, don't get ahead of me) and the bios from the Asus support site. flashed up fine, rebooted - no keyboard backlights. checked bios correct version, no setting i could find to test or manually set the leds, so I again returned to the forum, and upon further reading it was mentioned that after a bios flash you may/should restore optimized defaults. (keep in mind that i was not running UEFI at the time)

So back in to the bios I went, found the restore defaults option -> Save & Exit... Utter Utter Blackness... gave it a few minutes, no reboot. so powered down and back up, and to quote from Poe, "Darkness there and nothing more". hooked the system up to VGA and HDMI, with no detectable video output. (prior to upgrading the bios I tested the graphics with latest drivers, played SW:TOR so the card was functional)

tried removing the battery, hold down the power trick, - no joy

In the course of damage control I discovered a force-able key combination to try to reinstall the bios, (ctrl+home or fn+home which is it?) this however never brought the screen back, I'm just putting the extracted 210 bios in the root of the usb drive (fat formatted) and shoving the drive in any of the 4 usb ports.

So now I possess a 10lb, paper weight, I have contacted Asus and gotten an RMA. Before I drive 45 miles to my nearest UPS or Fedex, anything to try?

Thanks in advance.
22 REPLIES 22

GottiBoi55
Level 10
The BIOS factory reset is as follows.

Hold down Ctrl+Home, then hit power button.
keep holding Ctrl+Home untill you see "EZ-Flash" start.

Try that first and see if that works for you!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

vintagepimpage
Level 7
Join the club. The growing club. I had to send mine in and have the mobo replaced. However, a few posts down scarletvw posted this:

"I wanted to add something to this thread. I have a G55VW and yesterday I had an issue that is exactly like the OP. I was in BIOS, tweaked some options (boot order) and after a save and reboot I got no POST. The screen would not turn on, nothing. I tried everything everyone else on here has, nothing helped. Pressing the CTRL+Home while booting made the keyboard backlight come on later like it was doing something. It was late so I left the PC alone over night unplugged with battery out. I came back this morning to the same thing. Tried CTRL+Home again, nothing.

Then I got an idea, why not press CTRL+ALT+Home before pressing the power button, next thing I know I'm being asked to plug in my battery so I can flash the BIOS, plugged in the battery, pressed enter, BIOS flashed and now I have a working computer again.

Please try this and post your results, heck its worth a shot before sending in for service, it worked for me."

So give that a go and let us know if it works. Nobody else here has had success with this problem.

Got2xlr8
Level 7
regardless of Ctrl+home or Ctrl+Alt+Home, I get the Power button LED, the Power Led (most left), the HDD Activity light (3rd from left, steady on, then fast blink, then off) and the most right Light ( with a lock, guessing numlock, steady on, goes off timed with the HDD Activity light)

at no point do I get any video out of the display, or out of the VGA when hooked to external display.

vintagepimpage wrote:
Nobody else here has had success with this problem.

that just fills me with hope 😉 !!!

DeltaActual
Level 12
Maybe try leaving it overnight with battery removed, like that guy above did???
G614JV

vintagepimpage
Level 7
Yeah might as well try the overnight deal with the battery. That post by scarletvw is the only one I've seen where they got their laptop working again. As far as I know everyone else that had this problem here, myself included, had to send the laptop in. All the tips and suggestions (you can see them all in other posts) didn't help.

Try the overnight battery removal with the key combo and let us know if that works. If I were you though I'd start the RMA process with ASUS now... And push them to find a root cause to the problem versus just saying "Oh you're motherboard must be fried, we'll just replace it."

vintagepimpage wrote:
That post by scarletvw is the only one I've seen where they got their laptop working again.

I'm thinking @scarletvw was successful not because of the CTRL+Alt+HOME key combination, but because multiple attempts were made to boot into BIOS Recovery. I believe the Alt key was just ignored.

Multiple restarts (10 to 20 times in succession) has been posted several times as a workaround for the "boot to black screen" issue when it occurs without a prior change to the BIOS. I believe it may be useful in this case, where you would attempt 10 to 20 restarts while holding down CTRL+HOME. No guarantee it will work, but you may as well be aggressive about it when the only other option is RMA.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Had this issue as well, RMA is the only option I tried everything else possible aside from taking the laptop apart myself. They replaced the motherboard and sent it back a couple weeks later "fixed" the same day I got it back it started shutting itself off and eventually gave me a black screen again (without me touching anything bios) . Had to send it in for a 2nd RMA that I paid $70 for overnight from chicago to the RMA center in cali, in hopes of getting it back faster. Got it back a few days ago and they replaced the motherboard, GPU, and reinstalled the OS. They also scratched up the casing and put a few CM scratch on my screen, I take excellent care of my laptop this really upset me.

Worst part is it still is not properly fixed. After 10 minutes of anything graphic heavy I get artifacts and my G75 shuts down. Tried everything I could without taking it apart myself which would void the warranty for a third time. Ended up calling and now my laptop is sitting in the same box waiting for me to drive another 45 minutes away to the nearest Fedex to drop it off for its third RMA.

Seriously upsetting customer service, not only are they not fixing/testing the machine properly before shipping it back, they are damaging the exterior. Ive owned both a G74 and now this G75, after this experience I cant say I will ever purchase an Asus machine again. The almost two months now I have been without my laptop as really cost me in both work and my courses (Im a CIS major).

Try and fix it with what everyone is suggesting and if all else fails and you dont mind a few scratches, RMA it.
G75
-i7-3610QM -16GB DDR3
-256GB Patriot SSD -Nvidia GTX 670M 3GB
-1TB HHD Storage

dstrakele wrote:
I'm thinking @scarletvw was successful not because of the CTRL+Alt+HOME key combination, but because multiple attempts were made to boot into BIOS Recovery. I believe the Alt key was just ignored.

Multiple restarts (10 to 20 times in succession) has been posted several times as a workaround for the "boot to black screen" issue when it occurs without a prior change to the BIOS. I believe it may be useful in this case, where you would attempt 10 to 20 restarts while holding down CTRL+HOME. No guarantee it will work, but you may as well be aggressive about it when the only other option is RMA.

And that is probably the case, I tried it enough damn times that if finally let me flash the BIOS. Its super weird that it will fail like that and not POST at all and then their BIOS flash is flaky in that it wont work the first time but take multiple attempts.

I know for me it was making sure the buttons were pressed and keep holding for a while until the lights went out or it did something.

Keep trying the BIOS reset until you send it in, maybe one of the times it will work. Good luck and I hope you don't have to send it in.
G55VW-DS71 - i7 3610QM - 16gb DDR3 1600mhz - 128gb SSD - GTX 660M 2gb