cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a games machine... MVG based <-corrected

UltraNEO_
Level 11

Hi again. 🙂

Well folks, it's been a while since I've been about but have recently built myself another machine. Now I'm trying to have a wee bit of fun clocking the i5-3570k processor. So far I've managed to OC the processor to an impressive 4.8Ghz on air, it appears to be stable, at least with multiple IBT runs.

Verify:

Later tried clocking the individual cores to 48/48/47/46 then 49/48/47/46 and tried re-running the tests. Unfortunately now I got a little problem. Regardless of the intensity, the cpu refuses to speed pass 4800Mhz regardless of the multiplier settings. Is there a firmware glitch? Monitoring Aida64's reports, the processor never actually reaches x49. :confused:
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV
9 REPLIES 9

Chino
Level 15

SUKARA
Level 10
Very nice!!!!
About Intel C-state and load line feature disabled will be improve the OC ability

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you wish to clock only one core then disable the others in the bios. Do not clock each core individually unless you have a specific reason for doing so. Clock by all cores and you should be good to go.

Nice work on air by the way. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
If you wish to clock only one core then disable the others in the bios. Do not clock each core individually unless you have a specific reason for doing so. Clock by all cores and you should be good to go.

Nice work on air by the way. 🙂

Thanks Viz. 🙂

What about if two cores were disabled? Would overclocking still be hampered?
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nope you can do two three what ever number that you are allowed to select.

It is not so much as OC being hampered, it is more about managing the heat. 4 cores is going to equal a whole heap more heat than 1. Some Ivy CPU's like to have two cores active for max frequency. Others 1 and some clock best when all 4 are active. It is really up to the processor itself.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Nope you can do two three what ever number that you are allowed to select.

It is not so much as OC being hampered, it is more about managing the heat. 4 cores is going to equal a whole heap more heat than 1. Some Ivy CPU's like to have two cores active for max frequency. Others 1 and some clock best when all 4 are active. It is really up to the processor itself.

Oh so what you're saying is these things have a personality... Great. :mad:

UltraNEO_
Level 11

Originally tried overclocking with the ole trust H80 and a couple of jet-like delta fans. Unfortunately temps weren't especially low as one wished, despite the fact ambient temps were fluttering above freezing and the noise was pretty unbearable!! Swapping it for a shiny HR-02 with some quieter fans allowed my clocking to commence, temps stayed some what reasonable, occasionally peaking over 79C (core temps, not heatsink).... What I really need is some of that smokey liquid you have, Viz. 😉

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hey come play with the LN2 any-time you like my friend.

And you may be closer to the truth than you think when you say that processors have personality. Just think about it, what really is a personality but a unique set of behaviours. So yeah I would totally agree with that.

HiVizMan wrote:
Hey come play with the LN2 any-time you like my friend.

And you may be closer to the truth than you think when you say that processors have personality. Just think about it, what really is a personality but a unique set of behaviours. So yeah I would totally agree with that.

Honestly, I'd really love that!
Unfortunately one's obligations sometimes get in the way of life's little pleasures. :mad: