cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V Formula - Smart Response Technology

chilinmichael
Level 10
AM I correct to assume this technology is only available to an MSATA SSD and not a regular SSD? I just got an ADATA SSD on SATA 6/GBS port and it's not showing the accelerate feature...bios is in raid mode. Upon further reading, Asus advertises that the mSATA is set up for such...which to me is stupid since that port is limited in speed to 300MB/s ?
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.
9 REPLIES 9

pcunite
Level 8
Ready this here, I don't think it is very interesting ...
i5-3570k | V Gene | HD 4000 | Crucial M4 256GB | Fractal Design Mini | NEC 2490WUXi2

chilinmichael
Level 10
Sorry but that's not helpful at all to my question. I don't need to know about the technology, but I need to know why I can't enable it. The booklet for our motherboard says 2012 Desktop responsive technologies are limited to intel internal gray and blue ports, of which there are none of that color. I'm starting to realize Asus only enabled the acceleration "bit" on the mSATA port, restricting anyone who wants to use a regular SSD. Who here uses ISR? Do you have a regular SSD? Are you using mSATA? My Rapid Storage control does not show an option to accelerate, meaning I don't meet the criteria for whatever reason. I've ever tried a different port (SATA 3.0 GB/s) to no avail.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

pcunite
Level 8
The link I pasted mentioned some setting that you'll need. Here are the complete instructions.

To enable Smart SSD cache will requires that the SATA controller be set to RAID mode via the system BIOS. Then you install the Intel Smart Response Technology software 10.5 or higher. Run the intel software and Click Enable acceleration ... blah blah
i5-3570k | V Gene | HD 4000 | Crucial M4 256GB | Fractal Design Mini | NEC 2490WUXi2

Like I said in my first post, it is in RAID mode. Accelerate doesn't even show because for whatever reason it doesn't meet credentials. The only thing I can find, is that there has to be an enable acceleration bit at the hardware level. Asus or some expert would know, that MAY be limited to just the MPCI-E riser board, in which case I'm SOL and have to switch SSD's...I also find it VERY stupid because then it's limited to 300MB/s which SSD's (like the one I have and the one MSATA I'd pick) are 500MB/s +.

pcunite
Level 8
While we wait for Asus, this says you can't do it if it is your main drive. I also would think it should be connected to an Intel controled port.

chilinmichael
Level 10
*facepalm* It's not my main drive, and it's connected to an Intel port. I've tried both Intel ports (SATA-III and SATA-II) I guess I should state I'm CompTIA Certified, not a n00b, and this is an advanced question along the lines of where the acceleration bit is enabled. I've read all the how-to's online and followed every step...even read the ones where people say "I originally couldn't get it to work but try this" to no avail. I need Asus to respond or someone who HAS this WORKING. Thanks.

If you even want to get more technical, I've even tried updating the Intel Rapid Storage drives from Intel themselves to an even newer version, which also didn't pop the acceleration feature. Then, I tried a set that were labeled "RAID" where someone said none worked but that one...that ALSO didn't work for me. Considering the Asus main page says the m-PCI-E mSATA is for Intel Desktop features...I'm betting it's limited to that. Would be QUITE stupid TBH because that's limited to 300MB/s if I'm correct...

HiVizMan
Level 40
http://rog.asus.com/81692012/maximus-v-motherboards/intel-smart-response-technology-user-guide/

What I can try to do is pull out my Formula board and set one up. Quick question here, your other drives are as listed in your sig yes? You are not using a SSD as your OS drive.

And I do assume that you are aware that the benefits will take about three weeks to become noticeable once enabled. It is not instant.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I have my OS drive (1Tb Seagate HDD) on port 0 and a Corsair SSD Force GT 120 on port 1. No mSATA. I used the same SSD on my Maximus IV Gene Z for a year (with Intel SRT). Now it is on my Formula V board. No problems.

I do recall having an issue like yours (with the latest SRT driver), and ended up reformatting the OS drive, reinstall OS and going back to the Intel RST 11.1.0.1006 driver.

Seems like I noticed the SRT improvements in less than a week.
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

chilinmichael
Level 10
Not really caring how long it takes to show up...lol...I'd just like it to work! Have any ideas I haven't tried? Also the Velociraptor is my OS drive. The other drives are secondaries (One for video/One for audio) on the ASMEDIA controller.

So to summarize, here's what I've tried. Posting this from the Overclock forums cause I'm asking there as well:

1. Every "type" of labeling for the SSD disk under Windows Storage management
2. 4 Different Intel Rapid Storage Drivers (version wise including now newest from intel)
3. SATA-III Intel port and SATA-II Intel port
4. Resizing the main hard drive partition to force a re-write of partition table
5. Raid mode enable in bios

I know with Rapid Start, for example, it needs to be GPT, and set id=84. Can anyone tell me if there's certain settings for the SSD to enable for Smart Response? I'm gonna give it another day or two here and another forum...if I don't get an answer I'm going to honestly abandon the project. I've heard reinstalling Windows non-UEFI may do the trick, but I am not reformatting my PC, it works fine otherwise. I'm honestly ok with the speed of my 1TB Velociraptor, I just thought more could not hurt, but I am not redoing my PC over it.