cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus g73jh powersource overheating

Retired
Not applicable
Hey all, Im new to the forums here and I've seen some good tips, the first issue I had was the stock charger, it overheated at first, then it arced electricity from the tip to the port on the laptop, so I ditched that source and bought a targus APA05US 180W powersource. JUST got it today, and Put it in, after about an hour or so when the laptop was at 100% battery I noticed it was getting warm, And I pulled the tip away, the tip was EXTREMELY hot to touch, and had what looked to be burns on the sides, as well as it looked to have melted the rubber around the tip of the peice that inserts into the laptop itself.

Is this a problem with a connection within the laptop or within the charger?
My laptop is no longer under warranty and I just lost my job so I need some slightly cheaper options/alternatives. I just spent the last of my money on the new charger... Do I just make sure it doesnt charge too long or is this a serious problem?

Tl;Dr
Old charger died. new charger overheated to a concerning point. Is it a problem within the laptop or is it the charger?
7 REPLIES 7

irdmoose
Level 10
Melting rubber/plastic is never a good sign. It's possible that you've gotten a second faulty power supply, but I'd almost bet you that it's an issue inside the laptop. In fact it sounds like the internal power connector may have a short in it. There's a lot of power going through that connector, even at low voltage, and a short or loose connection could cause the issue you're exhibiting. By chance do you have to wiggle the power connector around to get it to start charging, or could you wiggle the new connector to get it to stop charging?

Rather than getting a new power supply, I would avoid using it until you can get it looked at by a local tech. Bring both power supplies with you that way they can get a good idea of what's going on. A short, bad internal connector, or loose connection between the connector and power supply can be very bad for the long term health of your laptop.

Chastity
Level 10
Being an electrician, it sounds to me you have a short on your motherboard's power circuit, and it's shorting at the contact with the PSU connector. This can also happen if your power is not properly grounded.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for the tips, Unfortunately it does look to be an issue with the power connection from the laptop this time, so I'll have to take it into a shop. Im not sure If im still under the asus warranty or not, should i bring it into a bestbuy or look at local computer repair shops?

*It may be noted that I did say it was no longer under warranty, that was an assumption, its too close to tell because I have crappy long term memory. haha

Duteron wrote:
Thanks for the tips, Unfortunately it does look to be an issue with the power connection from the laptop this time, so I'll have to take it into a shop. Im not sure If im still under the asus warranty or not, should i bring it into a bestbuy or look at local computer repair shops?

*It may be noted that I did say it was no longer under warranty, that was an assumption, its too close to tell because I have crappy long term memory. haha

What's the serial number and I'll check your warranty.

Retired
Not applicable
Its all good, brought it into BB and they said they'd ship it to Asus for free, it wasnt under warranty from BB but i still had the asus warranty.

Chastity
Level 10
You can try BB, worst case they'll want to charge you for service, being they ship it to Asus' peeps. 🙂
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

irdmoose
Level 10
I'd recommend calling Asus directly. BB can be VERY expensive. Last time a friend had a ticket done for a dodgy power connector, they wanted to charge him $350.