cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I upgraded to Windows 8...

Addohm
Level 7
And now I want to recover. I gave W8 almost two weeks to appeal to me, and I could only find 2 things about that OS that I liked. I'm not even sure I would like that OS on a touchscreen device. Suffice it to day, I went F9 button mashing to recover and to no avail, I got no booting to the recovery partition. In fact, W8 removes the whole option of a modified boot up.

Does anyone know how to force the PC to boot to the recovery partition? At this point I have a fresh copy of W7 installed, but it's registered to a different PC so I can't keep it on there.

Thanks in advance!
12 REPLIES 12

Zygomorphic
Level 17
You would have to check in disk management to see if the recovery partition is still there. On my system, Windows 8 did not remove the partition, it solely made it inaccessible. If you cannot get the recovery partition working, you can always download the Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft, and then plug in the license key on the sticker on your computer. That way, you get the system restored to a nice pristine state, without any of the ASUS bloatware.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

I use Windows 8 because I am sick of Windows 7 😉 ...As for Windows on tablet and phones, well, you know the story.

Just a few more years and hopefully we can run Android on x86 with DX13-equivalent OpenGL graphics.

Just a few more years then bye-bye Windows. Hopefully...!

Or cloud gaming, cloud-everything on Android x86 anyways.

rewben
Level 13
from ASUS' support page:

After I upgrade to Windows 8, I am unable to use F9 Recovery function.

Solution

Due to Windows 8 limitation, F9 function key no longer functions. If you would to use the built-in recovery partition to restore to Windows 7, please download and run ASUS recovery utility. It will initiate the Windows 7 recovery process.
Click here to download.

Area_66
Level 11
I hated Windows 8 for 12 months ( down to dev preview) , now I don't even see a difference. Just install Classic Shell and it will feel like 7. After few months you will not even need Classic Shell anymore.

Area 66 wrote:
I hated Windows 8 for 12 months ( down to dev preview) , now I don't even see a difference. Just install Classic Shell and it will feel like 7. After few months you will not even need Classic Shell anymore.

What's the diff. between classic shell and Start 8 ?

Area_66
Level 11
Classic Shell is Open Source and free. They don't ask your email so no chance to be spam later. It's very reliable and it does the most important things ; remove the hot corner and bring a menu. Don't ask me to compare I have not do so as I find Classic Shell very good.

Note that I don't need it, I test it and remove it now, I do install it for customers who purchase a new PC or Laptop with Windows 8 has they have hard time to adjust.

Feud
Level 7
Start8 is better than Classic Shell though as far as features go. Start8 costs $5 and I have yet to get any Stardock Spam. The email you supply is how they verify you bought the program when you install it (it makes you log in using Start8 to verify). Overall Start8 is sleeker and more refined than Classic Shell and allows for more customization. I've used many start menu replacements, but so far Start8 has been the only one I have stuck with and even paid for.

Overall though, if you want the real deal of Windows 7's start menu in Windows 8 here it is:
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/35189-Windows-7-explorer-for-Windows-8

Otherwise, Start8 is far better than Classic Shell seeing as it actually functions and looks like Windows 7's start menu(unlike Classic Shell).

yes and then Classic Shell has the option to use a Win XP type start menu some people prefer that?
I don't think I'll ever use the win 8 UI on a PC even with a touch screen. To many movements to accomplish simple things or learn a lot of keyboard short cuts. too many files I work with to remember all there names for the search bar. For me full screen apps are another waste of time. I work with multi windows most of the time.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Yes StartBack sounds like what I expect MS to do with SP1 if not sooner. Or maybe they'll just leave it to the aftermarket. We do have options already I sure with more to come.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro