cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing SSD in a brand-new G75VW

Eradik
Level 7
Hey everyone.

I just bought an ROG G75VW (Windows 7 version) from Amazon along with a Crucial M4 SSD. I'm curious the best way to install the SSD when I get the new laptop. I figure one of three options will work.

1. It comes with recovery disks (do they?) and as soon as I get the machine I should pop in the ssd (and not even boot the drive that it comes with, I'd format it later) and use the recovery disks to install to the m4.

2. Recovery disks must be made in windows, so I boot up, setup, and make the disks and then follow the rest of number 1 above.

Or...

3. Boot up and clone the HD to the SSD. No idea how to do this and I'm sure a clean install is best.

So, ultimately, i'm hoping number 1 for simplicity. Can anyone chime in so I know for sure for when I get my laptop?

Thanks everyone!
7 REPLIES 7

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Step 2, Step 3 cannot be done unless the hdd is the same size as the ssd

Acronis Disk Director can shrink it down to the SSD size as long as there is enough room, not free however
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Step 2, Step 3 cannot be done unless the hdd is the same size as the ssd

Option 2, and 3 can be done my friend!

I did option 2 on my G75VW to a "Intel 520 series 180GB drive, and my stock HDD is 750GB drive.

You can also do option 2, a Clone with a program that supports "GPT Partitioning".
Here a program that many on here had great success cloning the OS to a SSD>>>>
Macrium Reflect Free
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

Eradik
Level 7
Thanks. Clintigm, I'd rather not clone, but thanks for the recommendation. I'm coming from a Mac for the longest time so I'm not real familiar with Windows and recovery. If it's as easy as Myk says making the recovery disks and then reinstalling Windows, that will be no big deal at all. I've heard some computer manufacturers force you to use their hard drive and, therefore, not able to make your own disks. Or they make it so the recovery disks HAVE to be used on THEIR hard drives. Just making sure that's not the case with Asus.

Just preparing tonight so I'm ready for tomorrow. 🙂 I just got my confirmation, my Asus delivers tomorrow by noon! Can't wait to move back to PC gaming. Mac gaming SUCKS!

I think I would test everything out first, Run Furmark and make sure you got good pasting on your CPU and GPU Test all your hardware. if all is well then put the effort into installing the SSD. you want to insure all your hard ware is good to go before your return period ends. Just for insurance I would download all the current driverss from ASUS have them handy. The latest chipset from Intel. and USB 3.0 driver. And ISO of Win 7 SP 1, If the recovery goes bad you'll be ready to just clean Install. A good guide for clean install is here also links to all the drivers are usual the most up to date. *banned website* . If you haven't all ready check out the very top thread on this forum, right above the stickys lots of good information there.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
I think I would test everything out first, Run Furmark and make sure you got good pasting on your CPU and GPU Test all your hardware. if all is well then put the effort into installing the SSD. you want to insure all your hard ware is good to go before your return period ends. Just for insurance I would download all the current driverss from ASUS have them handy. The latest chipset from Intel. and USB 3.0 driver. And ISO of Win 7 SP 1, If the recovery goes bad you'll be ready to just clean Install. A good guide for clean install is here also links to all the drivers are usual the most up to date. *banned website* . If you haven't all ready check out the very top thread on this forum, right above the stickys lots of good information there.

Good idea. I will run it through the stress test before I mess with the SSD. I do plan to take out the HDD when I put in the SSD, at least for awhile, to make sure that it [SSD] is working properly and running okay. Once I am confident that it's running good, I'll put in the HDD and wipe it. I suppose I'll leave the recovery partition on the factory HDD strictly as an "in case of emergency."

Thanks for the info on Furmark. I'll give that a go. Do I just do the "15 minute" run that I see in the screenshots?

I have the drivers, a Win 7 disk, and a second computer handy where I will be setting up the new PC so that I can have access to a reliable machine if needed.

Thanks for all your help everyone. I appreciate it!

Actualy I gave you the wrong link on earlier this one is specific for G75VW *banned website*
Also this thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro