cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here is the question: Installing a new WiFi Card?

Angellus
Level 7
So I have been reading and thinking and then again thinking and reading about installing a new WiFi card into my new G75VW. I know it will void the warranty but I also know that I will finally get decent wireless with 5GHz N.

However, after all that reading, I haven't found a comprehensive guide or preferably a video guide that shows how to do this. From what card is recommended to give the best results to how to open up the laptop (is it hard?) and make the change.

Anybody here that has done it, care to share the knowledge?

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

dstrakele
Level 14
@GimpsUnlimited provides a pictorial G75 WiFi upgrade guide in http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/667905-g75vw-5ghz-wireless-2.html. This can be supplemented with a G75 disassembly video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9KHrJKInmA.

Many in this forum prefer the Intel 6235 WiFi adapter if you wish to retain onboard Bluetooth functionality. If not, the Intel 6300 is another possibility.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Angellus
Level 7
Thanks!!! This will help!

I have a G55vw change it out for a intel 6300 all i did was take out the battary take out the screw on the left and the other one on the other side.
remove the back (behind the pannel) took out the speaker and now i took out the wireless card.
didn't haVE to take apart the full laptop.
That was on the G55vw.

The question i want answer is why did asus put that wireless card into a gaming laptop. My Panasonic tv has 5 Ghz wireless N.

jf1450
Level 7
The board it came with seems pretty respectable to me.

soulctcher
Level 9
I replaced the Atheros with the Intel 6235 on my 75 and it has been fantastic ever since. 2x mimo, 5ghz, bluetooth 4.0...yeah, it kicks butt.

soulctcher wrote:
I replaced the Atheros with the Intel 6235 on my 75 and it has been fantastic ever since. 2x mimo, 5ghz, bluetooth 4.0...yeah, it kicks butt.

is this the correct card, Intel Network 6235AN.HMWWB Centrino WiFi Card Advanced-N 6235 Dual Band Bluetooth
amazon had a few listed. want to be sure prior to order, thx

tkolarik
Level 9
I have had the new Intel 6235 for a while but keep chickening out performing the swap. I broke the keyboard ribbon connector on an older laptop motherboard a while back and had to buy a new board. The video i watched show the ribbon cable clip being opened oppoosite way. I would like a bit more info about disconnection the ribbons b4 i jump in.

Angellus
Level 7
I just finished installing my new Wi-Fi card. I installed the AzureWave card that came with my Maximus Extreme MOBO which is basically the same Atheros chip but with dual band capability - used the driver from the MOBO as well although the laptop recognized it without a driver (not BT though).

It works perfectly. I did take off the keyboard to install it more comfortably though but there is no need to disassemble the monitor hinges.
It isn't as hard as it looks as long as you are careful and understand that you need to open the clips that hold the ribbons to the motherboard to disconnect them. Now I finally have 5GHz in my G75VW.

=).