cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace or crossfire GPU

Zanarisrobo
Level 7
So i have had this Gigabyte radeon hd7850 windforce 2gb for a while now and im thinking of upgrading. But im unsure if i should buy an Asus radeon hd7970 Dcii top 3gb, and replace the gigabyte GPU or if i should buy another Gigabyte GPU and crossfire them. What give best performance. Oh, and its for gaming(Ofcourse).

Specs:
CPU:Intel core i5 3570K 3,4 ghz
CPU cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo
Motherboard:Asus p8 z77-v le plus
SSD:Intel SSD 60gb (For OS)
HDD:Seagate baracuda 2 terrabyte harddisc
RAM:Corsair 16gb xms3 1600mhz 2x8
Power supply:Corsair tx 750W m
Case:NZXT phantom 410
12 REPLIES 12

Granger
Level 10
Running two HD 6870's (which run all games on max settings) I would say grab another 7850 and x-fire it.
The advantage of crossfire over SLI is you don't need the same make and model of card, I'm running an Asus with a Sapphire with no problems 🙂

Ok, thanks. Also, if i chose to crossfire, will i have enough power to game on a triple monitor setup? If i turned down the settings to medium or so

Granger
Level 10
Not sure of how much power the 7850's need, I shouldn't think it would be more than the 6870's. I got the 1300W PSU for Christmas, didn't need it, the rig in my sig was running with an HX 750 before.
Admitted, it was probably only just enough, but it ran fine 🙂

And what you have less to run is 3 hard drives, a pump and probably a few fans less too (I have 6 on the radiators and 4 on the case)

Ok, thanks. Also, will the two 7850s be good enough to allow me to game on a triple monitor setup?

chrsplmr
Level 18
Why would you x fire 7850's is a 7970 ect. is in your budget ?? they too will x fire ..
and no doubt will triMonitor.. (although an adapter may be needed.)..c.

Granger
Level 10
I agree chrsplmr, but using a 7970 and a 7850 would mean either running them both at the 7850 speeds (waste of money) or OCing the 7850 to the speed of the 7970 (not sure the 7850 would go that high, a 7950 perhaps) would maybe be worth it crossfiring a 7870 as the 7850 will have no problems being OCed to the 7870 speeds.

Triple monitors is not an issue, even on 1 7850 that should work, but you will either need 1 of the screens to have a Display Port input or you are good to buy an active DP to HDMI/DVI/VGA (choose which one you need) adapter.

Zanarisrobo
Level 7
Ok, so will two crossfired 7850's manage to run a triple monitor setup and play crysis 2 on full settings?

Granger
Level 10
Two crossfired 6870's run a triple monitor setup with Crysis 3 on full settings, so I should think so 😉
I'm not running eyfinity though (just do 2 or 3 things at once lol)

chrsplmr
Level 18
Thanks Granger .. wasn't aware of that .. Im still happy with Xfired 6850's .. well, hehe ..
happy enough that I cant justify breaking loose 79xx's cash.

I had 0 issues with crysis3 on max either .. not 3 screens however.c.