cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75vw, stock drive crashed, installing W8 on SSD.

Joacim
Level 7
My stock drive recently crashed, since I don't have time to wait for a replacement drive, and I had a Corsair Force 90 SSD laying around, I thought I'd just install W8 on that one.

It boots fine on my Sandisk Cruzer bootable USB; the Corsair-SSD is found in BIOS and in the W8 installation. It creates two partitions, one MSR and one regular, installs, reboots but then all I get is that it either wants to boot on the Hitachi-drive which is faulty, and goes on a endless scanning and repairing, or the Sandisk Cruzer, which gives me the option to reinstall W8 yet again.

I'm not using the Asus Recovery Disk/ISO since I can't access the stock drive (as mentioned before, it won't let me boot).

Seriously though, how hard can it be to install W8 on a SSD and get the computer to boot on the SSD-drive?

I've tried to switch off Secure Boot and enabled CSM. Still no luck.

Any logical reason why my simple, simple request, to be able to install (works) and boot up (doesn't work) from my SSD-drive won't work?
6 REPLIES 6

Apexing
Level 9
changed boot order in bios ?
and if the other drive is defect, just remove it. then it wont try that drive.

Thanks for replying.

Yeah. Agree. I just removed it. I was just a bit too lazy before, sticking in the SSD and leaving the stock-drive.

Yeah, I entered the BIOS. The SSD is not even visible as a boot option, at all. It's visible along with the DVD on the available SATA drives though, and I do find it without a hitch in the W8 install, so it's connected properly.

I'm just dumbfounded at this point.

This is strange and awesome at the same time.

When I removed the stock-drive, and ran the W8 installer, I deleted all the old partitions, selected New (in the installer); all of a sudden it generated 4 partitions instead of two (Primary, MSR). Love changes.

Anyhow, now it works fine. So my original problem is solved, now I just want to know why W8 installer creates a different set of partitions on a drive depending on the presence of another drive?

Joacim wrote:
This is strange and awesome at the same time.

When I removed the stock-drive, and ran the W8 installer, I deleted all the old partitions, selected New (in the installer); all of a sudden it generated 4 partitions instead of two (Primary, MSR). Love changes.

Anyhow, now it works fine. So my original problem is solved, now I just want to know why W8 installer creates a different set of partitions on a drive depending on the presence of another drive?

what is a stock-drive, and how did you remove it?
Sorry for the stupid question.

burrex wrote:
what is a stock-drive, and how did you remove it?
Sorry for the stupid question.

Stock drive - the original HDD that comes with the laptop.
Removing - you just have to remove the back cover and pull it out 🙂

Apexing
Level 9
Yea I have no idea why it would do that.
but always good it worked xD