cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage 4 on the Rampage

Inlandchris
Level 7
I wanted to build the best desktop computer that will last..at least 6 years. When the Mobo gets outdated, then a simple replace is required. Finally, I have the room and to keep cool.
I got the parts from California, New York, Germany, Taiwan, and Bangkok, integrated literally.
I have the Rampage 4 extreme mounted in a Caselabs case (their smallest model), Intel i7 3820 (4 cores), 32 GB ram (can go to 64GB), 4.5 TB Hdd but want an SSD (when ASUS comes out with one, RADR), ASUS 660Ti video card with 2 GB ram, 2 radiators in series, 2 bits pumps in series (in case of one fails), Corsair pwr supply (1250 w), Kingston Ram, Areocool fan controller, and a homemade pcb to distribute the 14 fans instead of a wiring nightmare.
Everything keeps cool except the ASUS video card, runs at 55 degrees C so I contacted EK and found a water block for the video card and replaced the ASUS fans. Now the video card and other parts of the mobo are at about room temperature, 29 degrees. I don't like to work near a hot computer so now its a few degrees above room temperature, even the cpu. Right now, everything is running at normal speed. Next project is to overclock everything once I find the upper limits; wish me luck. Any constructive criticisms are welcome
7 REPLIES 7

Jericho
Level 7
Not to be rude as I'm sure it runs great. But OMG what is with that mess of tubes and wiring!?!? You could really improve it with a tight loop and cable management. Aesthetically and functionally with better coolant and air circulation. You might want to think about a good paint job for that case too instead of the retro vanilla look. Good hardware though.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Bios 3404 Nodens
i7 3930K @ 4.4 ghz
Corsair Dominator Platinum 64 gb 1866 8x8gb
2x EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4 gb SLI
2x Intel 520 240 gb RAID 0 TRIMMED
2x Velociraptor 300 gb RAID 0
Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler
Coolermaster HAF X Case
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Dell U3011 30 in. Monitor
Win 8 Pro x64

Inlandchris
Level 7
Thanks for the reply and help. The color is retro and so am I, been programming and building computers since the mid 80's sorry to say; old guy here. The coolant is from Koolance and does a good job but cannot make tight loops with the tubing as it would kink and restrict flow.
I made a pcb to manage the fan cables but looks like its not enough, I will work on that.

Jericho
Level 7
You should go to youtube and search Singularity Computers. That guy is the best I've seen at watercooling and modding. He has some really good ideas you may benefit from. I don't have the budget to do everything he does but I really picked up some good ideas to do some of it. What's really important is that you are happy with it and that it runs good. Welcome to the forums by the way!
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Bios 3404 Nodens
i7 3930K @ 4.4 ghz
Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler
Coolermaster HAF X Case
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Win 8 Pro x64

I watched the video from Singularity Computers at YouTube.com. This pc is very beautiful but has a function problem. First, he has 1 360 rad blowing into the case and a 480 rad blowing into the psu and bypass the mobo compartment; this is half good. He says it doesn't matter that hot air is blowing into the case, not true! If he had both Rads in the lower compartment, he will see a big drop in temperature on the mobo if the hot air blows out through the bottom of case thus bypassing the mobo compartment. Second, he really didn't need a 480 rad for the CPU; overkill and too much money to burn, a 360 would have done just fine even over clocked. I am not sure if the 360 rad is enough for 3 GPU's because that is a lot of heat but the EK link between the GPU's is excellent and I have one too when I install another GPU.
The wiring is beautiful and I will change my wiring to something like that. The acrylic tubes I have never seen before and I like that. The fittings are an overkill again but looks nice but the more swivel joints you have, the more chance for leaks to surface.
One of his drain plugs is right on top of a fan. Imagine unscrewing this to put on a barb fitting and then a hose with full of liquid; a real mess not to mention a fan being destroyed. On average, you need to replace the water once every 2 years to keep out contaminants even though you have a closed loop system, in this case 2 loops.
I have one loop for CPU and GPU. Mind you, I only have one GPU right now and the 2 Rad's are in series to make just one loop. The whole system is between 2-4 degrees C above room temperature and I am real happy with that.
Looks and eye candy are one thing but must work hand-n-hand with functionality.
I like the idea of pressure built up in the case and that is what I have; 8 filtered low rpm fans pumping room temperature air into the case while 6 low rpm fans drawing air from the top of the case through 2 Rad's and out; all hot are directed away from the motherboard while maintaining pressure of 2 fans. 14 low rpm fans is really moving the air around and yet its more quiet than my HP ASUS computer with 2 fans (cpu, case).
Believe me, keeping hot air out of the case is paramount no matter who tells you otherwise or pretends of knowing everything.

Jericho
Level 7
Yeah there are a lot of different opinions on this stuff and you just do what works best for you. He has done a lot of different builds different ways since that is his business he runs. I agree that some of it I wouldn't do but there is a lot of good info I have seen on there.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Bios 3404 Nodens
i7 3930K @ 4.4 ghz
Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler
Coolermaster HAF X Case
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Win 8 Pro x64

z0ki
Level 10
DO you find your Corsair SP120 fans (assuming they're 2350rpm) Vibrate on start up when the fans are on max? Mine do 😞 but once they start up they're fine.
[NEW RIG] Custom Acrylic Loop / i7 8700K @ 5.3GHz 1.34v / Maximus X Formula / G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB 3466Mhz / EVGA 780 Ti Classified's @ 1478mhz SLI / Corsair AX1200i Digital PSU / Samsung 2TB 960 Pro NVME / Corsair 900D / All EKWB

The Corsair fans are the low rpm/quiet type. I forgot if they are SP or AF but they are quiet from start to finish. I accendently put my finger in one and it made noise and had to replace it so the whole system is quiet now. Oh, re-routed wiring so its not a birds nest now but the tubing management is beyond my budget so it stands as tubing and not arcrilyic tubing.