cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maximus v gene vs maximus IV gene-z board layout

jaran
Level 7
Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone of you could tell me if there's same clearance between cpu and first pci-e slot on both motherboards? The reason why i'm asking this is because i'm very interesting in getting Thermalright True Spirit 140mm cooler for my 3570k on maximus v gene. The problem is that i saw a comment from a guy from another forum with same specs than me and he couldn't fit that True Spirit cooler on maximus v gene with his GPU on first pci-e lane.

But on the other hand there's a support *.pdf on Thermalright's site for this cooler which says that TS 140 fits on Maximus IV gene. :confused:
Intel i5 3570k, Asus Maximus V Gene, Thermaltake True spirit 120 Rev A (BW), Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - 2x4gb , Asus HD 7770 Direct CU 1Gb, Intel 330 180gb, Corsair Tx 650W, Aerocool Mechatron
21 REPLIES 21

UltraNEO_
Level 11
Dunno why you don't buy the board.. buy the heatsink and try?? Experiments are fun..
If for some reason it doesn't fit, well.. most retailers offer refunds/exchanges.

BTW, why you so hung up on the True Spirit cooler? Why not opt for a sealed loop that'll give better performance? I recommend the Corsair H80i (review) or the H100i (review).

jaran wrote:
But on the other hand there's a support *.pdf on Thermalright's site for this cooler which says that TS 140 fits on Maximus IV gene. :confused:

What are you saying? You don't trust the manufacturer's testing? or they intentionally lied so they laugh at your foolishness?

No seriously. Manufacturers seldom make incompatible hardware today, since near enough all motherboards have the same gaps between the first PCIe slot and the socket. If the heatsink physically contacts the GPU then it's usually down to end user's stupidity.
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

UltraNEO* wrote:
Dunno why you don't buy the board.. buy the heatsink and try?? Experiments are fun..
If for some reason it doesn't fit, well.. most retailers offer refunds/exchanges.

BTW, why you so hung up on the True Spirit cooler? Why not opt for a sealed loop that'll give better performance? I recommend the Corsair H80i (review) or the H100i (review).

What are you saying? You don't trust the manufacturer's testing? or they intentionally lied so they laugh at your foolishness?

No seriously. Manufacturers seldom make incompatible hardware today, since near enough all motherboards have the same gaps between the first PCIe slot and the socket. If the heatsink physically contacts the GPU then it's usually down to end user's stupidity.

Thanks for reply:) I forgot to add my signature. I do have the board. It was just simple question if anyone knows if there's the same clearance between cpu and first pci-e slot between these 2 boards, nothing else. And no, i didnt say i dont trust their testing, i just dont know if there's the same clerance between IV gene and V gene because there is nothing said about fitting True Spirit on V gene in data sheet on Thermaltake *pdf file. Or maybe is my english bad? :confused:
Intel i5 3570k, Asus Maximus V Gene, Thermaltake True spirit 120 Rev A (BW), Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - 2x4gb , Asus HD 7770 Direct CU 1Gb, Intel 330 180gb, Corsair Tx 650W, Aerocool Mechatron

jaran wrote:
Thanks for reply:) I forgot to add my signature. I do have the board. It was just simple question if anyone knows if there's the same clearance between cpu and first pci-e slot between these 2 boards, nothing else. And no, i didnt say i dont trust their testing, i just dont know if there's the same clerance between IV gene and V gene because there is nothing said about fitting True Spirit on V gene in data sheet on Thermaltake *pdf file. Or maybe is my english bad? :confused:

From my experience, It's extremely rare for something not to fit. Admittedly I moved the HR-02 from my x58 to the MVG and discovered the clearence gap were slightly narrower but still provided enough clearance to prevent a short. If it really worries you, you can always buy a backplate for the GPU in question.
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

QUOTE=UltraNEO*;224562]From my experience, It's extremely rare for something not to fit. Admittedly I moved the HR-02 from my x58 to the MVG and discovered the clearence gap were slightly narrower but still provided enough clearance to prevent a short. If it really worries you, you can always buy a backplate for the GPU in question.

lenght:macho's 140 mm vs 155mm spiriti's... here's the guy, post #787

Chino
Level 15
The Thermalright True Spirit 140 does fit on Maximus IV Gene. They just didn't mention that it will get in the way of the first PCIe lane. Here's a picture of the test done by a German website named Award Fabrik.

Considering that the MVG is the same size as its previous brother, it is safe to say that you'll also have clearance problems on it too.

Chino wrote:
The Thermalright True Spirit 140 does fit on Maximus IV Gene. They just didn't mention that it will get in the way of the first PCIe lane. Here's a picture of the test done by a German website named Award Fabrik.

Considering that the MVG is the same size as its previous brother, it is safe to say that you'll also have clearance problems on it too.

So maybe they are missleading costumers from that TS-140 MCL 1116.pdf because on some other boards clearance issue with pci-e slot is mentioned?
With MIVG : Compatibility - OK.
For example P8Z68-M PRO :Compatibility: *Okay: PCI-E Slot can’t be used.

Probably they "just" forgot to mention

jaran
Level 7
Here it is, exact *.pdf like the one on official site:

http://shop.by/instruction/08/26/manual_thermalright_true_spirit_140_eng_666.pdf

Zka17
Level 16
jaran, if you're looking for a big air-cooler which still fits on the MVG, then go with the Noctua NH-D14 (one of the best air-coolers)... I did tested them, and there is no clearance issue with the first PCIe slot... (just for safety, you can put some insulating tape on the fan clips)

Also, if you don't like the Noctua fan's color, you can change them... i recently placed 3x black Cougars on that cooler and it works amazingly :cool:

However, you do need to pay attention to the RAM clearance with the Noctua NH-D14... if you're going with those Vengeance series memories, it won't fit... 😞 Maybe it's time to get a new RAM kit too... the Dominator and Dominator GT series have removable heat spreaders...

Zka17 wrote:
jaran, if you're looking for a big air-cooler which still fits on the MVG, then go with the Noctua NH-D14 (one of the best air-coolers)... I did tested them, and there is no clearance issue with the first PCIe slot... (just for safety, you can put some insulating tape on the fan clips)

Also, if you don't like the Noctua fan's color, you can change them... i recently placed 3x black Cougars on that cooler and it works amazingly :cool:

However, you do need to pay attention to the RAM clearance with the Noctua NH-D14... if you're going with those Vengeance series memories, it won't fit... 😞 Maybe it's time to get a new RAM kit too... the Dominator and Dominator GT series have removable heat spreaders...

I bought computer 14 days ago so i'm not changing ram now. I guess im going for True spirit 120 which is maybe best bang for the buck. Thank you both.