cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phoebus beta driver suddenly "Can't find any device"!!

Shamshir
Level 7
Well, I had been running this amazing sound card for months on beta drivers without any problems. But yesterday I turned my PC on and saw a little red x on the sound icon in the bottom right corner of the screen. The sound was disabled. I launched the Phoebus application but it said "Can't find any device". WTF!! Windows 7 can't even detect the thing in the audio device viewer. I'm %100 sure the card isn't dead because I can see the blue LED on the card itself that says "Xonar Phoebus". However, the sound card seems to work fine and can be detected with the default Windows audio driver as well as with the old Phoebus buggy driver. Tried uninstalling and installing the beta driver multiple times but the problem persists. I even downloaded the driver from Asus's website again but that didn't help. Can't remember anything significant that may have corrupted the Phoebus driver other than an irrelevent BSoD and an Nvidia driver update that both happend 3 days ago. 2 days ago the card was fine even after I got that BSoD. Also, haven't installed a Windows update since last month. I tried to install the beta driver without the new Nvidia drivers but still no luck. System restore couldn't solve the problem either.

I would appreciate any help from you guys because I still love my Phoebus and don't want to replace it.
8 REPLIES 8

Raja
Level 13
Uninstall the drivers and reBOOT. Switch power off at AC, then remove the card from the PCIe slot and re-seat it. Then re-install drivers and see if it works okay.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Uninstall the drivers and reBOOT. Switch power off at AC, then remove the card from the PCIe slot and re-seat it. Then re-install drivers and see if it works okay.

Did exactly what you said. Beta driver still can't detect the card.

Raja
Level 13
Check control panel for possible conflicts. Clear CMOS and try again also. If that does not work, try another PCIe slot just to debug if the card works there or not.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Check control panel for possible conflicts.

Could you be more specific?

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Clear CMOS and try again also. If that does not work, try another PCIe slot just to debug if the card works there or not.

Totally irrelevent. It is obviously a driver bug, not a corrupt BIOS or a dead PCIe slot. Also, I don't have another free PCIe slot to try, running two GTX 680's on Asus Sabertooth z77.

Shamshir wrote:
Could you be more specific?

See if there are any errors reported in control panel in the properties of the card. Can be device errors in there sometimes or it can show some kind of IO conflict with another device.

Shamshir wrote:

Totally irrelevent. It is obviously a driver bug, not a corrupt BIOS or a dead PCIe slot. Also, I don't have another free PCIe slot to try, running two GTX 680's on Asus Sabertooth z77.

I think it's absolutely relevant in order to debug this - Windows 7 can be weird with device reporting at times and clearing CMOS can help rebuild IO mapping. If you can't/won't do this to debug, then your only option is to contact ASUS support for your region and see what they suggest. You can also fill out a bug report form and email it to the Xonar team if you wish to do so (sticky thread in this forum has the form and email address).

Good luck, hope you get it sorted and working again (that's all my suggestions were for really, can't help any more than this) 🙂

-Raja

soerenmoeren
Level 7
are you serious raja? is this how you solve problems with your faulty hardware? switching pcie slots is a nogo, clearing cmos ? dunno why in the world i would/should ever consider that - its 2013 NOT 1985 where you had to manage/troubleshoot interrupts for hardware.

your suggestions are utterly ridiculous!

@Shamshir return the piece of junk! the only sound advice anyone should take with this soundcard

hey so how is your sound card?

I have a Xonar DS, and have recently also upgraded my video card. All of a sudden I'm having the same issues -- although Windows itself sees the Xonar DS device just fine in the device manager, and games/apps work fine with it, the Asus Xonar DS software claims "no device found" on bootup. Most annoying as I can't switch the damn card from optical to direct etc... I've tried uninstall/reinstalling the drivers + reboot etc, to no avail. The one workaround I've found is to go into device manager, uninstall the device, then reinstall it ("scan for hardware changes" is enough, no reboot required), after which the Asus software magically starts working. But only until the next reboot. 😞