cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I'm going to need some help..

Kaboom
Level 8
I just received my PC parts, but I'm a newbie when it comes to overclocking. I'll be putting it together today, but was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me at all 😛
40 REPLIES 40

ottoyu34
Level 9
Absolutely, I will help. show us some pictures?

martin_metal_88
Level 8
I second! Otto can help you and I can also! but...we have to know what are thesepart and what you want to do with:)
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

Ok.. so I ran a DX Diag.. and here's what I have.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU K 875 @ 2.93GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4086MB RAM
Page File: 1788MB used, 6381MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: ASUS EAH5870 Series
Display Memory: 2797 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1014 MB
Shared Memory: 1783 MB
I have the H50 Corsair CPU cooler, Antec 750W power supply, and a 120GB SSD

Here your limit will probably be the H50 cooler. I already own one and afterI realise it was crap and my 30$ vendetta 2 was better I sell it to Otto ( that was the first timw we talk 😛 ) then he realize it was crap and he sold it again lol... What is your mobo also?
And finally, what freq you want to reach?? Give us some pic of the build:P::P
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

ottoyu34
Level 9
Great parts you got there Kaboom.

Just want to point out, the 5870 is an awesome card. Great performance (runs most of current games in highest setting with decent fps) while doing it with low TDP and low noise.

Few general points, if you didnt know already:

1)It's a good idea to take note of the heat output and noise level of the system. After overclocking, heat will dramatically increase, so does the power consumption. Personally, I'm very demaning about slient operation.
2)Let us know what case all the goodies are in. First thing is to get the cooling right.
3)There are great guides around the web about i7 overclocking. It will give you a good idea about it.
Once you got some ideas, you can start messing around with the BIOS or use Asus TurboV EVO in windows. There's also the auto overclocking feature that the system will OC itself.

martin_metal_88
Level 8
I agree with otto but personally I would tell you to play in bios and don't use windows software. OC is a bios thing and you have to learn how it workbecause if you can't reach windows and you don;t know how the bios work well, it's less a pain to give a .5V more compare to clear cmos and start all over. Just my opinion.
Martin_metal_88

Ask for more!

Kaboom
Level 8
The mobo is a Maximus III Formula and the case is DF-85
Later today I have to move the CPU cooler because it's taking up some space where the sound card should go. Blah. I'll get pics up later after I move everything around. What was the option where your BIOS can OC everything for you?

ottoyu34
Level 9
I'm guess it's Antec DF-85. How do you like it?

If there's any 120mm fan hole on the top you can mount it there, else mount it on the rear exhausting fans

In BIOS, you can go in (where we usually manual oc), then on the top you can see .
You will see a few level in OC in different Ghz.

Continuing from the general points:
4)Always stress test the system after you overclock. Making sure the overclock is stable will ensure no trouble down the road.
you don't want to see BSOD everytime you game. I suggest you to use Prime95 and LinX to stress test. I use more of the latter
now.

martin_metal_88
Level 8
I would also suggest to use more Linx with 20 run of all test ( can click on ALL at the upper right ) because with prime most of the time a game or folding will stress the CPU more...Linx is a variant of Intel Burn In test which is the tool used by intel to test CPU so it's pretty nice.
Martin_metal_88

Ask for more!