cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73jh Temporary freezing/extreme lagging at random intervals.

refire
Level 7
I have read a couple of forums from people with possibly similar problems. In the forums the problem was never really solved as far as I could find. Because of this, I am posting this here as a desperate plea for help.

The Problem: Freezing of computer for approx 2 seconds at random times. Occurs as often as every other minute or as rare as every 2 hours.

Attempted Solutions:
Clean install of Windows 7 - failed
Replaced hard drive and clean install - failed
Update all drivers - failed
Call ASUS Support - never encountered something so frustrating as trying to interpret those accents
Call Best Buy support - Wanted to charge me up to $200 just to ADDRESS the problem.
Plea to ASUS ROG for a god-send - underway

Additional Details - IMPORTANT:
Something I just recently noticed... When the "lag" spikes occur, the i7 processor's 8 "virtual" cores all spike to at least 98%. This hints at a faulty processor. Funny how it comes up around the time my warranty expires...

Laptop Details:
ASUS "Best-Buy Version" G73jh
Intel i7 mobility
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 Graphics
6 GB RAM
64 GB Crucial SSD (custom addition)
500 GB original hard drive
Warranty expired 1 week ago. 😕

EDIT: With a little searching here (not sure how I didn't see it before) I found this other forum post. Looks as if still no actual solution was found.
Link to forum post: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?2108-Strange-lag-freeze-on-the-G53JW.

EDIT2: Chastity corrected that I actually G73jh.
5 REPLIES 5

Chastity
Level 10
Well, for starters, if you have a 5870M, then you have a JH model. 🙂

The lag spikes can be from a number of things, so I'll just list them:

Can be caused by hardware acceleration in browsers during video streaming, even if the stream is idle. Solutions: make sure Flash is current. some combos of C++ and Silverlight + .Net packages also known to cause issues. Uninstall all and then update them, I prefer one at a time, and using Redist packages.

IIRC, the C300 needed a firmware update. Make sure whatever model of SSD you have has a current firmware.

If you do indeed have a JH, make sure you are updated to 213, and your video BIOS is updated to 012.020.xxx v93 version listed on my Driver and Application page.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Well I THINK I have solved it. Like you said in the other forum, I THINK that it is my Anti-Virus protection. My "McSvHost.exe" started by McAfee was hogging the CPU. Still don't know how exactly to fix it other than to just "end process".

xeromist
Other than making sure that the A/V software is up to date and/or reinstalling it there isn't much you can do. I've switched to Avast and have been satisfied.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

irdmoose
Level 10
Easiest fix is to uninstall Mcafee and install the FREE (and arguably far superior) Microsoft Security Essentials. It's very light weight, and does the job nicely. If you want a paid one, I've had really good results with Eset NOD32. Both run nicely on virtual machines without noticeably slowing them down, and I use them both (not both on the same machine of course). However, remember: the best protection against viruses, spyware, malware, etc. is you; even the best antivirus can be defeated by not practicing safe browsing habits.

I had few seconds freezing randomly on my ROG with Core i7-9700. I searched many discussions and did many things but nothing could fix it until it became worse and I noticed that the cause is my Seagate 3TB hard disk. I replaced the Hard Disk with new 4TB. It solved this randomly few seconds freezing completely.