cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Boot problem (Boot/BCD error)

NuclearPanda
Level 7
I need your assistance severely.

I purchased a refurb'd R73 (I'm pretty sure it's the R73.... lol) from Newegg a while back and I lost my recovery discs in a divorce. 😞

Long story story when I attempt to turn on my computer I get the error that it can't boot because of the following:

indows Failed to start. A recent hardware change or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

I still have my Windows 7 Key for the install (it's on the sticker on the back of the lappy), but I need to make a repair or recovery disc im guessing. I can't do anything at all, it goes straight to that screen.

Any help?
10 REPLIES 10

NuclearPanda
Level 7
I need your assistance severely.

I purchased a refurb'd R73 (I'm pretty sure it's the R73.... lol) from Newegg a while back, this forum helped me a lot with the clean install and putting in a SSD, and I lost my recovery discs in a divorce.

Long story story when I attempt to turn on my computer I get the error that it can't boot because of the following:

indows Failed to start. A recent hardware change or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

I still have my Windows 7 Key for the install (it's on the sticker on the back of the lappy), but I need to make a repair or recovery disc im guessing. I can't do anything at all, it goes straight to that screen.

Any help?

Do you have another system you can download and burn an ISO with? If so, download the ISO file from Microsoft legally, and punch in the product key on the bottom of the laptop. That's the best way to go about it.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Here's a site where you can obtain a legitimate Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1 ISO file.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

You can then burn it to a DVD or USB flash drive and use it to repair your current installation, or if that falls, reinstall Windows 7.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I have merged this thread with the one in the General Discussion forums, since this is the location for the question.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

oldbrave
Level 9
Well, you need either #1 the recovery disks for your laptop, or #2 you need a OEM disk (or copy) of whatever version of win & you have loaded on your laptop so you can run the repair .
Electronic Smoke Signals From my TechnoTeepee
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5162Mhz [21x245] 1.546v 🙂
Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=52c
32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.5 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

Chino
Level 15
I'm assuming you're using W7? You can download a legal copy of the Windows 7 ISO from DigitalRiver. Then just burn it onto a DVD and use it to repair your startup problem.

Chino wrote:
I'm assuming you're using W7? You can download a legal copy of the Windows 7 ISO from DigitalRiver. Then just burn it onto a DVD and use it to repair your startup problem.

I just checked out DigitalRiver. I will try that route and post back here on how it goes.

You're a lifesaver if this works. 😄 Granted I have my gaming desktop, but I still love my ASUSROG!

*edit* Why does it say ASUSVIP below my name now? lol

*doubleedit* And now it's gone. Weeeiiirrd

Chino
Level 15
The repair function from the DVD solves most boot problems. If it doesn't work, report back and we can do it manually via a command prompt.

When you register an Asus product, you're given the VIP status. But the forum doesn't show it properly though. Sometimes it appears, sometimes it doesn't. lol

NuclearPanda
Level 7
Thank you all so much. I was able to get the OS repaired using the legitimate download from Digital River. Once I was able to boot into the CD from the BIOS I was able to find a previous system restore point to reinstall.

Works like a charm. There is a reason I love ASUS and all of you guys. Thanks so much all of you. *bro hugs*