cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Q] G46VW unable to enter BIOS

generic
Level 7
Hi,

I've been trying to enter the G46 BIOS but am unable to get anywhere but into Windowss 8!

I've tried:
shutting down the notebook,
unplugging the notebook
pressing the power button
immediately pressing F2 several times a second. (I've also tried with the Del key and all of the Fn keys)
Result is it boots into Windows 8!

Is the BIOS locked in some way, or is there a trick? (The AsusTek web site states press F2...).

Weird.
G46VW - Intel Core i7-3840QM @ 2.8 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660m 2GB, Crucial m4 256Gb mSATA SSD, 500 Gb Seagate Momemtus Hybrid HDD, 8 GB RAM, 14" 1366x768/720p screen resolution, Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 2x2 MIMO.
19 REPLIES 19

generic
Level 7
Hi, I have manged to get into the BIOS. It was a lot of pressing the F2 really quickly.
Once in the BIOS I disabled Fast Boot (underneath the Boot tab).
Saved and reloaded the BIOS.

I would like to boot from a USB device or preferably the internal SD card slot. Does anyone know how to enable this? ( I though this would be under the Boot Option Priorties button, but this is greyed out. 😞
)

Ciao!
G46VW - Intel Core i7-3840QM @ 2.8 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660m 2GB, Crucial m4 256Gb mSATA SSD, 500 Gb Seagate Momemtus Hybrid HDD, 8 GB RAM, 14" 1366x768/720p screen resolution, Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 2x2 MIMO.

generic wrote:
I would like to boot from a USB device or preferably the internal SD card slot. Does anyone know how to enable this? ( I though this would be under the Boot Option Priorties button, but this is greyed out. 😞
)

It's possible to boot from USB, but it's not possible to boot from the internal SD Card slot.

If "Launch CSM" is disabled, then only UEFI based operating system can boot. And they can boot off USB.
If "Launch CSM" is enabled, then only legacy operating systems (not UEFI) can boot.

generic
Level 7
SOLVED:

Secure Boot DISABLE
Launch CSM: ENABLED

reboot into BIOS.

USB Boot options are available.

You should pat yourself on the back for this. Good job for figuring it out! No, we weren't just watchin' and waiting to see what you'd do... Haha.

generic
Level 7
He he:D

Actually, I installed Ubuntu with WUBI from the Ubuntu v13.04 nightly builds.
One has to reenable Secure Boot afterwards or you'll be unable to boot into Win8. ( Or else you'll get message about having ti reinstall Windows from CDs:)
WUBI and Windows appear in a nice menu to select.
Selecting Win8 will work.
Selecting Ubuntu will fail as it is unable to locate the path to boot from. Options are presented to enter BIOS or reboot.

Crap.

I ran into this issue when I was trying to dual boot win8 & OSX. I had to reinstall win8 in BIOS mode (MBR partition) versus UEFI mode (GUID partion) in order to select either in my boot selector.

FYI, I went back to win8 UEFI only & it was a bitch trying to find out how.
G46VW I Best Buy Stock I 128GB mSATA I Windows 8.1

generic wrote:
He he:D

Actually, I installed Ubuntu with WUBI from the Ubuntu v13.04 nightly builds.
One has to reenable Secure Boot afterwards or you'll be unable to boot into Win8. ( Or else you'll get message about having ti reinstall Windows from CDs:)
WUBI and Windows appear in a nice menu to select.
Selecting Win8 will work.
Selecting Ubuntu will fail as it is unable to locate the path to boot from. Options are presented to enter BIOS or reboot.

Crap.

You have to boot UEFI version of Ubuntu, which is 64-bit only. But dual-boot works with pre-installed Windows 8. See this web page:

Asus G46VW - Dual Boot Ubuntu 12.10 with Pre-Installed Windows 8
http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/DisplayComments.php?file=Computer/Notebook/Asus_G46VW_-_Dual_Boot_Ubu...

Primeval
Level 7
Open the search menu, and type in "bios", click "Settings" and then "Advanced Startup Options", and then under the "General" tab scroll down to "Advanced Startup" and click "Restart Now".
ASUS G46VW Owner

Intel Core i5-3210m @ 2.5 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 2GB, 750 GB HDD, 8 GB RAM, 14" 720p/1366x768 display

generic
Level 7
It is time to remove Secure Boot and it's ilk.

I want to use Win8 and Ubuntu with the BIOS (no secret boot stuff etc. Just Legacy BIOS etc).

Do I have to reinstall Windows 8 (OEM from Asus), or can I just install Ubuntu and let the bios boot from the active partition as usual, lauching Linux or Win8 etc as I see fit?

If yes, then does someone know the options in the bios?

Cheers.