cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspected ground loop problems with Audio G53SW

jamesgillre
Level 7
Hi there, new to the ROG forums, although I have read many posts on here and got plenty of helpful information, thanks to all!

My problem is with my 1 year old Asus G53SW-A1. I have never used microphones until now with my equipment, but recently purchased a gaming headset (by Corsair Vengeance 1500). It is a USB headset and microphone. I have exhausted all troubleshooting advice. But, I tested the ONBOARD microphone (on laptop) and it also has the same problem as the Corsair headset.

The problem is a 50Hz low humming sound when using the microphone. Playback of any recorded sounds or speech is horrible because of this humming sound on either the Corsair or the Onboard Mic. Could this be a ground loop problem or an issue with the G53SW power supply?

Incidently, the problem is resolved when AC adapter is removed and powered by battery only.

Any ideas anyone? Please help I have tried everything possible to resolve this.. Thanks in advance 🙂
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battlelog
Youtube channel

G53SW-A1 User
4 REPLIES 4

dstrakele
Level 14
It could be your outlet is not properly grounded. Try a different outlet in a different building and/or a different power adapter.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
It could be your outlet is not properly grounded. Try a different outlet in a different building and/or a different power adapter.

Hi there, thanks for your assistance.

You were absolutely correct. The laptop I own (G53SW-A1) was purchased in US, but I currently live in the UK. It obviously came with a US AC 3 pin plug which requires an adaptor to allow it to plug into the wall. I removed the power cable that connects the brick to the wall. (That is, I kept the same charger, and only replaced the cable going from the brick to the wall outlet.) I just changed the actual power cable going to the brick.

This appears to be safe, and I haven't heard any advice against doing this. Is this acceptable?

As a result of this action, the humming sound has disappeared and recording is now crystal clear. Is it safe to continue with this power setup or should I seek further advice?

Many thanks
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battlelog
Youtube channel

G53SW-A1 User

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Thanks to dstrakele for solving this one!

If you are asking about the AC adapter 'brick', you should notice a label under the adapter that it accepts input voltages from 100 to 240V~ (AC) which covers the US, UK, and pretty much everywhere else.
Last I heard ASUS notebooks sold worldwide will use the same AC adapter 'brick', but a different cord/plug from the 'brick' to the wall for the local region, so your arrangment sounds okay to me.

If you really wanted to get paranoid about it, make sure your new cord is rated to handle the input current (A) and not getting too warm, but I expect it is a common standard that you will not need to worry about.
Hope this helps!

cl-Albert wrote:
Thanks to dstrakele for solving this one!

If you are asking about the AC adapter 'brick', you should notice a label under the adapter that it accepts input voltages from 100 to 240V~ (AC) which covers the US, UK, and pretty much everywhere else.
Last I heard ASUS notebooks sold worldwide will use the same AC adapter 'brick', but a different cord/plug from the 'brick' to the wall for the local region, so your arrangment sounds okay to me.

If you really wanted to get paranoid about it, make sure your new cord is rated to handle the input current (A) and not getting too warm, but I expect it is a common standard that you will not need to worry about.
Hope this helps!

Yea, I kind of expected it would be a power issue. I have been using the new plug for the past 2 days and there have been no ill-effects. If anything I have noticed an overall increase in performance. Frame rates, loading times and processing tasks have been noticeably improved.

Anyone else have any advice on changing plugs? Or any experience of importing laptops and changing plugs?

Battlelog
Youtube channel

G53SW-A1 User