cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water cooling advice/options

Asasen5
Level 7
I was thinking about water cooling my system and was wondering if it's better to go with a custom loop or just a closed loop?
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus V Formula
CPU: Intel i5 3570K
RAM: G. Skill Trident X 1600Hz 2x8gb (16gb total)
VIDEO CARD: ASUS DCU2 670
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
PSU: Thermaltake ToughPower XT 775W
CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i
FAN CONTROLLER: Lamptron FC9
CASE: NZXT Switch 810
34 REPLIES 34

Chino
Level 15
A custom loop is more expensive but the performance is greater. It also needs maintenance. A closed loop is a lot cheaper and is maintenance free but the performance isn't as good as a custom loop.

Asasen5
Level 7
So it's more personal oppinion?

Chino
Level 15
More than personal opinion, the key factor here is cost. If you have the money and you want the best water cooling can provide, custom loop is the way to go. But if you're limited economically but still want water cooling, then close loop is for you.

Asasen5
Level 7
So I have a MVF, is it better to use a custom loop on it?

Asasen5 wrote:
So I have a MVF, is it better to use a custom loop on it?

If you can afford it, yes. A good custom loop is going to cost > $300(USD). Because your board comes equipped with barbs you can run a custom loop right into it. A sealed system like the Corsair ones isn't going to let you take advantage of that built-in water cooling ability.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Granger
Level 10
Depends on what you want to do, if you only want to cool the CPU and have no intentions of cooling anything else with water. Then an AIO is the best bet.

If you want to cool the mobo and the GPU's, you'll need a custom loop.

My advice would be to take the same road that I did, I started with a "kit" for the CPU and expanded later.

You can find decent kits from Swiftech, XSPC, EK. The advantage of the kits are you get everything you need to cool the CPU (rad/res/pump/tubing/fittings and sometimes cooling fluid as well)

Depends a lot on your case too, whether or not you can get decent sized rads inside or not.

Asasen5
Level 7
Well I have a NZXT Switch 810 case so I've got plenty of room in it for water cooling.

I was thinking of getting a kit, but I only think I'll be cooling the mobo and CPU. Might just be the CPU though

xeromist
Well, if you aren't sure and want the option to add on later then a custom kit is good for that. I'm still using parts I bought for builds I've long since parted out.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Well, if you aren't sure and want the option to add on later then a custom kit is good for that.

Agreed. You never know when you'll need to cool the router too.