cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

noob question

bentong
Level 7
before my pcie runs in x16 but when i upgrade my vga and installed a water blocks [vga] my pcie turns to x8
is this natural? or i have config my bios?
any help please thanks in advance
btw my mobo is maximus v formula
19 REPLIES 19

Chino
Level 15
1. What was the old one's model that you were using and the new one that you upgraded to?

2. Are you using the same PCIe lane?

3. Are you reading the x8 speed from GPU-Z or within the BIOS?

Chino wrote:
1. What was the old one's model that you were using and the new one that you upgraded to?

2. Are you using the same PCIe lane?

3. Are you reading the x8 speed from GPU-Z or within the BIOS?

1. i mean i just installed water blocks on my gtx 660 ti
2. yes lane 1
3. from the bios, i haven't installed any o.s at this moment coz i upgraded my hdd to ssd...

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Reseat the GPU. Then proceed to clear the CMOS. See if that solves your problem.
i tried it but still same x8.
and i tried also my old gpu which is 550 ti but no connection display [no bios display]..... do i have to rma my mobo?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Download GPUz

Open GPUz

Look to the middle right hand side.

See that ? mark.

Now click it and let the test run.

Your new graphic card clocks down as a power saving mode.

Does the x16 come back now?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Download GPUz

Open GPUz

Look to the middle right hand side.

See that ? mark.

Now click it and let the test run.

Your new graphic card clocks down as a power saving mode.

Does the x16 come back now?
i installed it and still it runs at x8........ what wrong with my mobo? even my other gpu wont run [no display connection, no bios screen]

rog-classified
Level 9
Hi. im in a big trouble, im using maximus v extreme with asus gtx 680 D2T, im planing to buy another asus gtx 680 D2T for sli. trouble is 680 is a big card and use 3 slot space. the first pcie x16 i use to mount asus gtx 680 D2T. it covers my second x16 slot, now i can use black x8(2B) for the second card. but manual say "PCIe 3.0/2.0_x8_2B slot will be disabled when PCIe 3.0/2.0_x16_2A, PCIe 3.0/2.0_x8_3, PCIe3.0/2.0_x8_4 slots are occupied". i have a xonar phoebus mount at the last(pciex8-4) slot then i cant use pciex8(3) slot becouse card is big. can i use the first pciex16(1A) slot to mount my sound card and second pcie x16(2A) to mount my first 680 and use the pcie 8x(3) for the second card. please please please anyone help me on this.......:(1724417245
It ain't over till the fat lady sings :cool:...

HiVizMan
Level 40
I use the PCIe 1 and PCIe 2b for my two cards. So no problem there.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
I use the PCIe 1 and PCIe 2b for my two cards. So no problem there.

is your vga card take 3 slots as mine? if you use pcie 1 and 2b are they going to be extremely hot?i try this today, i put ati 6950 to the 2b slot( give the power and let it run free didn't connect any screen) and play skyrim for about 2 hour and gtx 680 gets near to 70 degree Celsius. room temperature about 18 degree. in summer it might go up to 90?
It ain't over till the fat lady sings :cool:...