New ROGer Array

G73SW Optical Drive Issues

First off... I love my G73SW, other than the optical drive. I am currently on my 2nd optical drive. The first one that was in here was a Matsushi err--- Panasonic UJ240 BD-RW. Worked great for about 8 months and now it is failing too. Is it the dust suck in these or what? I have kept it very clean and go through a can of air a month, making sure the dust stays out of my baby. However, regardless of my cleanliness, this drive is now failing too. I have opened a ticket and it seems I am going to have to now send my laptop in, yet again to get the drive replaced. This would be the 3rd drive. I am almost to the point of just buying an external and calling it a day, as I do not have the patience for not having my laptop with me all the time between school and games. The closest svc center is down in Cali, which means I may be out of a laptop for a least a week.

Any ideas on how to keep this 2nd drive humming? I have pain stakingly taken it out and checked every single part of it, not a drop of dust and I have never used any chemicals on it either. It spins, but it does not wind up. Every once in awhile I can get it to appear in BIOS and once in an eon I can even see it in devices. I have gone through all the upper and lower filter crap, MS fix it, BIOS updates, etc. with no avail. I even removed iTunes, as it adds stuff to the regedit in the same section as your DVD filters.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array billyray520 PC Specs
    billyray520 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G73JH-A1, G73Sw
    MotherboardMaximus V Extreme, H97M-Plus
    ProcessorIntel Core I7 3770K, Core I5 4690s
    Memory (part number)32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (MVE)
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X OC (MVE)
    Graphics Card #2Intel HD Graphics 4600
    MonitorAsus ProArt PA248 (MVE)
    Storage #1OCZ Vertex 4 2.5" 256 GB SSD (MVE)
    Storage #2Seagate 1 TB 7200 SATA III 6.0 GB/s (MVE)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i Liquid Cooler (MVE)
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X tower on wheels (MVE)
    Power SupplyThermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W (MVE)
    Keyboard Logitech G110 Black LED (MVE)
    Mouse Asus ROG MOBKUL Gaming (MVE)
    OS Windows 7 Professional / Ubuntu 12.04 (MVE)
    Network RouterMotorola Surfboard SBG6580

How do you know it is the drive that is failing? Have you ever been able to try the drive in another laptop to check it? The reason I ask, is that the G73SW was affected by the Intel chip recall back in early 2011. The recall had to do with the PCIe controller, which affected ports 2 and up. In our G73SW's the hdd's use ports 0 and 1. The optical drive uses port 2.

When did you buy your notebook? Did it have a "revised edition" sticker?

Asus will replace your notebook if it is affected by this Intel recall.
    Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
    (both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
    Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

New ROGer Array

yep, if in warranry, i suggest you send back to asus service center to check it or replace it.