cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aus gtx 680 SLI help. help ...

rog-classified
Level 9
Hi. My motherboard is MAXIMUS V EXTREME. I`m using asus gtx 680 D2T. it takes 3 slots of my pc. It covers the second PCIE x16 port in the motherboard and leave only PCIE x8 slots and a PCIE x4 slot. im planing to buy another Asus gtx 680 D2T (msi or evga is cheaper but asus gtx 680 has GPU Boost Clock 1201 MHz and Memory Clock 6008. if i buy a avga or msi 680 i think i have to lower the gpu boost clock of asus gtx680 D2T to mach the other card, then i dont wont to do that). the problem comes now. first card is install in a PCIE x16 slot, IF I INSTALL THE SECOND CARD IN A PCIE X8 SLOT, can it run? and if it can is there any performance issue?
can i use 4 way sli brig to connect 2 cards?( first and last heads).
i know my English sucks, ill add some photos to make easier to understand. like comic books...
please HELP....:) 172301723117234
It ain't over till the fat lady sings :cool:...
15 REPLIES 15

rog-classified
Level 9
if the 2 cards are extremely close to each other, is it going to hot and damage the cards? im using xonar phoebus, is the cards get close to it sound quality get bad?

kkn
Level 14
look in the manual and see what it says about hooking up the card to 2B.
if you have the option to mount a fan on the side door, you can get one so it blows fresh air on to the GPU's that way to help cool down.
like this: http://i43.tinypic.com/209suvq.jpg
and static noice from the GPU to the sound card im not shure since im using onboard audio.

have you tested that card on a home cinnema setup? whit optic out?
im after a audiocard whit surround out on optics or else i have to use minijacks and phono cables from PC to reciever.

thankx kkn. i dont have 7.1 home cinema sound set. but i have razer tiamat 7.1 headset with me(not the optic out). card sound not bad. waiting for the astro a50, then ill let you know about the card optic out quality. if you planing for optic i think asus xonar essence stx is the better deal.
still waiting for a answer for x16 and x8.

rog-classified
Level 9
hey kkn. im also using the cosmos 2 . your orange color fans are cool. are they silent? what model and brand?

in your manual on page 1-26 you see you can use 2B in sli setup.

in MAXIMUS V EXTREME manual 1.2.5 , it says - "PCIe 3.0/2.0_x8_2B slot will be disabled when PCIe 3.0/2.0_x16_2A, PCIe 3.0/2.0_
x8_3, PCIe 3.0/2.0_x8_4 slots are occupied"
i can only use 2B slot because asus gtx 680 d2t use 3 space. pcie x8 -4 im using for xonar phoebus. wtf. can i use first slot (PCIe 3.0/2.0_x16) for phoebus , second pcie x16 slot to 680 with last x8 slot for sli?

kkn
Level 14
no im not using the cosmos2, i did a google on it and found in on pictures.
im using NZXT 810 switch bigtower.

Chino
Level 15
The optimal configuration for 2-way SLI on the MVE is to use the 1st and 3rd slot. Since your GPU uses 3 slots, if you were to use that configuration, your cards will have no breathing room. The top card literally will be touching the bottom one and will pull in all the hot air from it. It doesn't matter how many fans you put close to it, it won't help. A fellow ROG user had this problem with his 2 GTX680's similar to your 3 slotted cards. Except his were the OCed version. In a gaming session, his top card got as high as 90C if I remember correctly. He could smell the plastic burning and the stickers from the fans were starting to deteriorate. Unfortunately he had the MVF which is limited on PCIe lanes.

So I would advise against using the default configuration. You're at a standpoint right now, my friend. What you can do is put the second GPU into the 4th slot and see if it works that way. If it does, you can have your SLI but you'd be giving up the Phoebus since the remaining available PCIe lane (Black one) is deactivated. Or you can get the 2 slot version of the GTX 680 from Asus and stick that into the 1st slot and the other 3 slot card can go into the 3rd slot. That way you have the breathing room for them.

thanks chino.did asus really have 2 slot version of the GTX 680? what if i mount the first vga card to the second slot and phoebus to the first slot. and use last slot to sli? can i do that or it may have performance issue? i heard someone say that second x16 slot is not directly connect to cpu is that right? asus gtx680 D2T is a oc card 1201ghz but it runs 30-40 degrees Celsius.