cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Briked G75

Jihilian
Level 7
I know there's a lot of post about bricked notebooks who update their BIOS. I'm here just to ask some questions and cry a little. First, my note is stucked in the black screen, but the backlight of keyboard is responsive to Ctrl+Home function, the lights indicators works, so i don't know if this is a full brick.

To the questions. First, the Ctrl+Home+Power combination resets the BIOS defaults or just enter in EZFlash ?
Second, is there any internal batery in G75 ? I opened the HD section and couldn't find anything.
Last, holding the power button ,after removing the battery, clear the CMOS ?

Now the "cry" section. Really, i'm almost giving up to this. I brought the note outside my country (Brazil), and choosed ASUS to not have a headache with problems because i trusted the brand. But now, after less than a month this happens.
If this is a problem with notebooks who were updated with WinFlash (like me), and after so many problems with this, why the WinFlash is still in the downloads sections ?

I'm now waiting for a response of ASUS support center to see if there's any assistence in my country (i don't think so).

1 less client of ASUS.

Sorry if i talked any crap. I'm too frustrated. 1500 dollars in a black box.
162 REPLIES 162

enkryptik
Level 7
I have a G75VW also and this is my 2nd one. First one....updated the bios and it said it was successful. Rebooted and it went straight to bios setup. When I exited the menu, before I could let off the key, it went back to bios screen. Tried the recovery key combo but failed.
I was furious. I called asus and was very polite with them. They were bitching like why did you update the bios? why? why? why??!!!?!!?
Regardless of the reason, if there's an update, I should be able to update the bios and not worry about this crap. Never ever had a bios flash go wrong on Dell or HP. Anyways back to the story from hell... They said I would have to ship this out after telling me a few things to try, none of which worked. I said ok and they said they would email me instructions and the address to ship it to shortly. I never got anything in my email and yes, I checked spam messages. The guy I spoke to was really really rude to me and was basically saying it was my fault it was messed up because I should not have flashed the bios.
I was lucky enough have have bought it November 30th at Best Buy so I had until January 24th to return it. I returned it and geek squad did try to fix it and they were polite. Couldn't revive it so I grabbed the last one they had in stock within 20 stores closest to me. I was on my merry way.
I was going to leave it at that but the other day my "H" key fell off when I was typing so I snapped it back on. Tonight it popped off again and would not stay on for anything. If I touched the lower half of the key, it would fall off again. I had to bend the clips on top part of the key and for the time being, it's staying on. I am just very frustrated with the 2 big problems I've had.
I still like my laptop, but at $1337 after taxes, I should not have to worry about this bull****. I use my laptop for work also so I can't afford to be sending it off for an eternity. I am sooooooo careful with all of my electronics yet this thing is giving me problems for no reason at all. I rarely even use the laptop keyboard since I connect to external keyboard, mouse, and monitors.

I do apologize for the rant but this is INSANE! Dell one time sent me a warranty HDD after troubleshooting that mine was dead. They also once sent someone to my apartment at the time to replace my dead system board. I think it's crap that I would have to send a laptop in especially one that weighs roughly 10 pounds and is huge for repair. I am not sure about asus but absolutely HATE getting refurbished stuff seeing how much I pay for it.
Again, I love this laptop for the most part and I love the performance but my experience dealing with asus with the bios issue has made me not call to deal with the "H" key because I'm not sending my damn laptop in for repair and I am pretty sure that I won't buy another one seeing how I cannot get local repairs done or at least it wasn't offered to me.

I guess I need to become asus warranty authorized so that I can get paid to fix my own **** and make sure that it's repaired with the care I put into the Dell and HP warranties.

enkryptik
Level 7
I have a G75VW also and this is my 2nd one. First one....updated the bios and it said it was successful. Rebooted and it went straight to bios setup. When I exited the menu, before I could let off the key, it went back to bios screen. Tried the recovery key combo but failed.
I was furious. I called asus and was very polite with them. They were bitching like why did you update the bios? why? why? why??!!!?!!?
Regardless of the reason, if there's an update, I should be able to update the bios and not worry about this crap. Never ever had a bios flash go wrong on Dell or HP. Anyways back to the story from hell... They said I would have to ship this out after telling me a few things to try, none of which worked. I said ok and they said they would email me instructions and the address to ship it to shortly. I never got anything in my email and yes, I checked spam messages. The guy I spoke to was really really rude to me and was basically saying it was my fault it was messed up because I should not have flashed the bios.
I was lucky enough have have bought it November 30th at Best Buy so I had until January 24th to return it. I returned it and geek squad did try to fix it and they were polite. Couldn't revive it so I grabbed the last one they had in stock within 20 stores closest to me. I was on my merry way.
I was going to leave it at that but the other day my "H" key fell off when I was typing so I snapped it back on. Tonight it popped off again and would not stay on for anything. If I touched the lower half of the key, it would fall off again. I had to bend the clips on top part of the key and for the time being, it's staying on. I am just very frustrated with the 2 big problems I've had.
I still like my laptop, but at $1337 after taxes, I should not have to worry about this bull****. I use my laptop for work also so I can't afford to be sending it off for an eternity. I am sooooooo careful with all of my electronics yet this thing is giving me problems for no reason at all. I rarely even use the laptop keyboard since I connect to external keyboard, mouse, and monitors.

I do apologize for the rant but this is INSANE! Dell one time sent me a warranty HDD after troubleshooting that mine was dead. They also once sent someone to my apartment at the time to replace my dead system board. I think it's crap that I would have to send a laptop in especially one that weighs roughly 10 pounds and is huge for repair. I am not sure about asus but absolutely HATE getting refurbished stuff seeing how much I pay for it.
Again, I love this laptop for the most part and I love the performance but my experience dealing with asus with the bios issue has made me not call to deal with the "H" key because I'm not sending my damn laptop in for repair and I am pretty sure that I won't buy another one seeing how I cannot get local repairs done or at least it wasn't offered to me.

I guess I need to become asus warranty authorized so that I can get paid to fix my own **** and make sure that it's repaired with the care I put into the Dell and HP warranties.

Zygomorphic
Level 17
As to BIOS recovery, PM @rewben and ask him to respond in this thread. He is the resident notebook expert around here, you might say. If the computer is still responding to the keyboard, there is a chance that BIOS recovery will still work. You have to place the BIOS file on a FAT32-formatted USB key and reboot the computer, from what I understand. I have updated the BIOS using WinFlash, and I was extremely lucky to have no problems.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
As to BIOS recovery, PM @rewben and ask him to respond in this thread. He is the resident notebook expert around here, you might say. If the computer is still responding to the keyboard, there is a chance that BIOS recovery will still work. You have to place the BIOS file on a FAT32-formatted USB key and reboot the computer, from what I understand. I have updated the BIOS using WinFlash, and I was extremely lucky to have no problems.

Mine isn't responding to the keyboard it appears - no CAPS LOCKS or NUMPAD activates on the black screen.
Son of a... never had a bios update fail. Just...wow

EDIT: Discovered problematic RAM was holding up the POST on mine.
Pulled the bad ram and baby... keyboard glows like magic.

GottiBoi55
Level 10
The BIOS factory reset is as follows.

Hold down Ctrl+Home, then hit power button.
keep holding Ctrl+Home untill you see "EZ-Flash" start.

Now wait until the factory shipped BIOS flash is finished, at the end of this process, it will say "restart in two seconds".
Your laptop should shut down on it's own (it's really important not to interrupt this process), and now you can try to start the PC.

*This operation will reset the BIOS to the factory installed BIO
S*

Don't even think about the CMOS battery, you need to tear down to get to it, and that would void your warranty.

Hope this works for you!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:
The BIOS factory reset is as follows.

Hold down Ctrl+Home, then hit power button.
keep holding Ctrl+Home untill you see "EZ-Flash" start.

Now wait until the factory shipped BIOS flash is finished, at the end of this process, it will say "restart in two seconds".
Your laptop should shut down on it's own (it's really important not to interrupt this process), and now you can try to start the PC.

*This operation will reset the BIOS to the factory installed BIO
S*

Don't even think about the CMOS battery, you need to tear down to get to it, and that would void your warranty.

Hope this works for you!

@BottiBoi55, thanks! 🙂 Sorry I didn't mention you in my previous post about this issue. I would definitely count you among the notebook wizards around here.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Jihilian
Level 7
I Tried the Ctrl+Home combination, nothing appears on the screen. The only thing that happens differently is the keyboard light, but nothing more.

dstrakele
Level 14
Give it another 10-15 attempts. Sometimes that resolves a "boot to black screen" issue. Another thing you could try is unplugging, removing the battery and all attached peripheral devices (even an SD card in the Card Reader), then hold the Power On button for 10 seconds, then plug in and start the laptop while holding down CTRL+HOME. Odds are it probably won't get any different results, but your only other option is to send it in for Warranty repair, so what else are you gonna do? You"ll be real happy if lightning strikes and your laptop boots into BIOS Recovery...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

GottiBoi55
Level 10
dstrakele is right!
If you see keyboard lights there's a chance for the BIOS recovery to work!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"