Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16
    ROG Member Array

Hi jdfrench3,

I'm not sure how I would be able to test if the GPU Card is fried, but I do know that when I took the computer apart last week, checking for any lose connections, and then put it back together, it was doing the same thing that it was before I took it apart.

When I turn it on, the Power Indicator light stays on, the battery light shows orange when charging and green when full, but there isn't really much activity from the Drive Activity Indicator light, other than when I first turn the computer on. My guess is that if it were just the GPU, then the Drive Activity Indicator light would be flashing on and off, showing that it was accessing the hard drive, but I'm not sure.

Also, if it were a motherboard failure, would that stop the "Always On" USB charging port thing from working? Because it still works when the computer is plugged in. Or would that be set up differently and wouldn't necessarily be a symptom of a motherboard failure?

I was hesitant about creating a new forum post, because I didn't want to clog up the forums, but I will go ahead and do that as well.

Thank you,
    -David

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Dreamonic PC Specs
    Dreamonic PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GX800VH-XS79K
    MotherboardASUS GX800VHK (Intel CM238/IDA154) w/Custom BIOS
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-7820HK @ 4.8Ghz (+150mV) FCBGA 1440
    Memory (part number)64GB (PC4-22400) @ 18-18-18-38-53 (76.D305G.D060B)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (GP104) OC @ +200/+800 w/Custom VBIOS
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (GP104) OC @ +200/+800 w/Custom VBIOS
    MonitorASUS PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 @ 100Hz w/G-SYNC (mDP-to-DP)
    Storage #13x Samsung 512GB NVMe SSD RAID0 (S316NY0HA00959)
    CPU CoolerASUS GX800VHK Water Cooling Dock
    CaseASUS GX800VHK Chassis
    Power SupplyASUS 2x 330W Power Adapter (AC 100~240V, 50/60Hz, 16.9A/19.5V)
    Keyboard ASUS ROG Claymore
    Mouse ASUS ROG Spatha
    Headset ASUS STRIX 7.1 Gaming Headset
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Whetstone
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 / Arch Linux w/KDE Plasma
    Network RouterAsus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 + GT-AC5300
    Accessory #1 Kensington 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub (K33978WW)

It's been ages everyone...

Hi dwcl99!

So the only way to recover your notebook in its current state is with an SPI programmer. There is no need to desolder the MXIC SOIC either.
    There should be nothing wrong with your hardware, as it's a reoccurring BIOS bug with the G75 series notebooks when changing boot order and or modes.

If you'd like to know how to go about recovering your notebook, you'll just need access to another PC and an SPI programmer such as the TL866A kit with the 25 SPI flash adapter and a Ponoma SOIC8 5250 clip.

Let me know what you would like to do and I can help you out with repairing your BIOS image when the time arrives.
    Last edited by Dreamonic; 01-29-2020 at 05:13 AM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamonic View Post
    It's been ages everyone...

Hi dwcl99!

So the only way to recover your notebook in its current state is with an SPI programmer. There is no need to desolder the MXIC SOIC either.
    There should be nothing wrong with your hardware, as it's a reoccurring BIOS bug with the G75 series notebooks when changing boot order and or modes.

If you'd like to know how to go about recovering your notebook, you'll just need access to another PC and an SPI programmer such as the TL866A kit with a Ponoma SOIC8 5250 clip.

Let me know what you would like to do and I can help you out with repairing your BIOS image when the time arrives.

Hi Dreamonic,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I'd love to try to repair the BIOS image, and if I don't have to desolder the chip, that would be even better.

The only problem is that I've never used an SPI Programmer, nor do I know anything about SPI Programming, or really programming for that matter. I am eager to learn though, and would love to revive this computer.

So my first question is, is there any SPI Programming guides that you'd recommend, so I can start looking into it, to decide if it is out of my skill set or not?

Thank you very much for your reply, and offer of help. It is greatly appreciated.

Take Care,
    -David

Dreamonic PC Specs
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (GP104) OC @ +200/+800 w/Custom VBIOS
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (GP104) OC @ +200/+800 w/Custom VBIOS
    Mouse ASUS ROG Spatha

When I had my forum up and running back in the day, I had guides created for just this very thing. As you can see in my signature, the forums are no longer online/accessible unless you use the wayback machine here. I wrote what I came across when I did mine and it's been invaluable to everyone who has a DIY mindset.

In short however, it's fairly easy to do physically once the notebook has been disassembled enough to gain access to the SOIC pins of the BIOS chip, which IIRC is directly underneath the keyboard panel assembly on the G75 notebooks.

I'll update you once I have time to gather what you need to follow and you can go from there; few hours perhaps.
    Regarding the BIOS image repair, have a read here.

As a side note, if you can disassemble a notebook to do a repaste on one of those models, you definitely have the astute "skill set" required to use a programmer.

PM sent
    Last edited by Dreamonic; 01-29-2020 at 06:15 AM.

Dreamonic PC Specs
    Mouse ASUS ROG Spatha

Almost forgot to follow this up with the results: dwcl99's notebook BIOS recovery was a success.

To make a very very long story short...

The allotted time and sheer oddities with the TL866II Plus programmer and the latest programmer software for it, with the MX25L6445E IC profile algorithm, created numerous data disparities between image reads in the beginning. We were figuring out if whether the Pomona clips, DuPont wires, 25 flash adapter, USB port power were the root causes of those disparities. It turned out, while some of the listed parts were a probable cause, there wasn't anything concrete yet to point the finger at. Even to say that there were fake Pomona clips being sold online by what appeared to be a reputable seller, to give you an idea of the time and patience dwcl99 had in order to resolve JUST that matter before proceeding any further, would be an understatement on the level of troubleshooting involved; ballpark of 50 reads until images finally matched 100% before a write was to commence.

The root reason for the data disparity between reads ended up being the latest version of the programmer software XGPro and this particular SOP8 EEPROM mentioned earlier. Strangely enough, the older XGPro (v7.10) software was the located fix as it had the proper IC algorithm profile, but required an annoying workaround that dwcl99 discovered in order to write the reconstructed BIOS image if a recovery was to happen at all.

It was quite the recovery process I must say, and one I know we're proud of for seeing through right until the end.

Great job again, dwcl99!

New ROGer Array y_u_s PC Specs
    y_u_s PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)g75vw
    Motherboardg75vw-3D like REV:2.4 SLJ8C 60-N2VMB1700-C04
    Processori7-3610QM
    Memory (part number)32Gb=8Gbx4 Mushkin 992038, PC3L-12800 SODIMM 11-11-11-28 1.35V
    Graphics Card #1gtx670m like 69N0NQV10D01
    Graphics Card #2rtx2080ti on 1x pcie =)
    Monitorasus vg 248 qe
    Keyboard Velocifire tkl02
    OS ubuntu 19.10

Another g75vw bricked unexpectedly

results: dwcl99's notebook BIOS recovery was a success.

Hi Dreamonic and all,

I am a new member here. I was reading this forum looking for solutions for my G75VW-9Z203V (French 3D model) that I adopted for work. The solution on this forum I used was for installing 32Gigs of RAM. I also added an external NVIDIA RTX card on a cheapest mini pcie to pci-e 1x adapter, and installed ubutu 19.10 on the 2-nd hd. With this setup I was able to quite successfully do development and and run tests. On GPU I calculate I do not play. My computer shuts down randomly on linux when using internal gtx670m, something I learned from this forum is ok for this model =). I run it often 24/7 and sometimes like 12h on 100% CPU, I never use much of GPU these days. I also use this computer to watch 3d pictures and movies I take as I have a small 3d panasonic camera that still works.

On Tuesday (3 days ago) I installed ubuntu updates including new nvidia drivers and turned the power off.

Next day when I turned the computer on, it started, turned itself off, restarted and the bios password (enabled) had not appeared as usual. It turned itself off after about 2 min. Finally I figured out that it cannot pass to the bios. Now I think I am not sure if it can even pass POST.

My best idea is that it is either corrupted hardware or a corrupted BIOS. CPU seems to be functional as the computer still doing something: turns on/off the fans and lights up the keyboard. No display at all either on internal or external cards.

As I need to have this model functional asap, the fastest solution would probably be, I think, to buy the same used model cheap and/or to buy a compatible g75vw motherboard + asus adapted gtx670m cheap from ebay/aliexpress.
    All this will still take some time, and in the meantime I want to recover some data from the hard drives.
    I am also curious what really happened, cause it may happen again, so I also bought a good POST card to see what was broken. Among the things that I could have broken can also be the pci controller as I was running the external gpu through a 1.2 meter usb3 cable (its equivalent wave resistance is about 100Ohm same as minipce wires so I was hoping it was ok, but who knows).

Please help me with ideas on what it was and how can I return my setup to working conditions asap?

Thanks to all

Addition after 1 day:
    I stripped the electrical setup to the bare bones minimum: motherboard + 1 ram chip + cpu, no GTX670M, no hd-s. It behaves exactly the same if I turn it on: does something for 1-2 mins, shuts down, turns on on its own, shuts down after 1 min. I suspect "Intel C216 Chipset Platform Controller Hub" = slj8c chip on the motherboard is to blame. I will post an update when I know more.
    Last edited by y_u_s; 03-15-2020 at 01:52 AM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by dwcl99 View Post
    Hi jdfrench3,

I'm not sure how I would be able to test if the GPU Card is fried, but I do know that when I took the computer apart last week, checking for any lose connections, and then put it back together, it was doing the same thing that it was before I took it apart.

When I turn it on, the Power Indicator light stays on, the battery light shows orange when charging and green when full, but there isn't really much activity from the Drive Activity Indicator light, other than when I first turn the computer on. My guess is that if it were just the GPU, then the Drive Activity Indicator light would be flashing on and off, showing that it was accessing the hard drive, but I'm not sure.

Also, if it were a motherboard failure, would that stop the "Always On" USB charging port thing from working? Because it still works when the computer is plugged in. Or would that be set up differently and wouldn't necessarily be a symptom of a motherboard failure?

I was hesitant about creating a new forum post, because I didn't want to clog up the forums, but I will go ahead and do that as well.

Thank you,
    -David

I’ve had the same case but for mine g751jy... 10 minutes job trivial solution: There was touchpad buttons/LEDs ribbon micro misalignment! The same ribbon is responsible for LEDs and the touchpad buttons. Had to try several times to have it properly placed. So no any MB failure... just trivial logic!
    Last edited by Sanctrum; 03-15-2020 at 11:33 AM.

ROG Junior Member Array

quick question
    on my g75vw i am running the 218 bio,s on win 10 64 bit
    all seams ok and i have read so many brick storys after updating bios on this model
    i just picked this laptop up and was wondering should update to 223 or not

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by amd4me View Post
    quick question
    on my g75vw i am running the 218 bio,s on win 10 64 bit
    all seams ok and i have read so many brick storys after updating bios on this model
    i just picked this laptop up and was wondering should update to 223 or not
    I never updated my G75, too many bad experience and not much to gain. If all is working why take the chance.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

Moderator Array

Hello amd4me,
    Well... if the BIOS update does not come to you by Windows update, then it it not really a must to upgrade.
    If your device is working fine and you don't need to use certain program and driver.
    You may stay at the current version.
    Thank you.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16