cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

...And I'm an idiot.

Nobistik
Level 7
Hey all,

So I've made a teeny tiny mistake of sorts. I kinda threw out that little piece that comes with the sound card to convert an optical cable to the s/pdif hook up on the soundcard. Now as you can probably tell by my awesome diction that I'm not exactly sure what it is I'm out to go buy. In order to hook up my Optical wire to the soundcard do I need to buy a Optical to 3.5 mm adapter? I know that the inventory list calls it a "1 x Optical (Toslink)/(combo with side out)) " but that sounds like a generic non properly described name. If I were to head out to Radioshack, Best Buy or some other local small computer store what exactly is the part name I would be looking for?

I appreciate any help in the matter as I'm totally lost and would gladly give 1 billion internets.
11 REPLIES 11

AVtemp
Level 10
Hi! Here is what you need: Mini-TOSLINK <-> TOSLINK optical adapter
Also it calls Miniplug to Toslink.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ru/8/89/Adapter-mini-toslink.jpg17344
Mini-TOSLINK is a standardized optical fiber connector smaller than the standard square TOSLINK connector commonly used in larger consumer audio equipment. The plug is almost the same size and shape as the ubiquitous 3.5 mm stereo minijack. Adapters are available to connect a full-size TOSLINK plug to a mini-TOSLINK socket. There are combined 3.5 mm jack and mini-TOSLINK sockets which can accept a 3.5 mm jack or a mini-TOSLINK plug; mini-TOSLINK plugs are made 0.5mm longer than electrical jack plugs so that the latter are too short to touch and damage the LED of combined connectors. Many notebook computers use these connectors, e.g., for 3.5 mm electrical headphone output combined with TOSLINK digital output (not both at the same time), and for electrical microphone and TOSLINK line-in. Mini-TOSLINK jacks are commonly used on Apple computers and portable digital audio equipment.

And 1 Billion internets to you my good sir! Thank you sooo much. I kind of was a tad daft to think I'd never go past the RCA hookups. It'll be nice to have my 7.1 Reciever up and running. Thank you soo much once again.

Ok, i'm also sort of an Idiot.

my Toslink Adapter broke off, now part of it is stuck in the port. Any tips on how to get it out?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hmm how much of the thing broke off? Use part of the image above to show how much is still stuck inside.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I got it out, with the tools on the picture 😄

If this happens to anyone else, i recommend taking the soundcard out of the pc-chassis, makes it a lot easier.

@KILLER_K: taking off the Shield doesnt help that much, the Port has the LED on the other end so you cant push it out without destroying
the LED.

This isnt really thought through from Asus. The Toslink Adapter is really flimsy and has to support the weight of a cable to some degree. This being a Premium Product they should have at least included a Metal Construction:
Maybe some of Asus' QC people read this and take notice.

KILLER_K
Level 10
Take the shield off and push it back out the other side perhaps? Here is what the card looks like with the shield removed. Looks like to me you can use a small needle to push it back out.

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTM0MDg4NjA5NGZBbGpSVHpwM1hfNF82X2wuanBn

AVtemp
Level 10
creepin,please send your photos to Xonar@asus.com ,i dont believe they watch this thread.

creepin
Level 7
alright I did, i'll post here if I hear back from them.

kkn
Level 14
do you get 5.1/7.1 out to surround amp tru optics?
ive been after a card that can do it and no one can give me a real ansver on it.