Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird?

Usinha02
Level 7
Really peculiar??
Hi Guys,
I've having a weird problem on my ASUS X53TA laptop. As u may know, the A6-3400m processor is supposed to run at 1.4 GHz normally, 2.3 GHz under load and 800 MHz in idle. Instead it runs at 800 MHz ALL THE TIME.
The funny thing is it runs fine under Linux system and used to run perfectly on Windows 7 x64 before I accidentally deleted a key boot file while working under ubuntu
I re-installed Win 7 x64 and all the drivers provided in the provided DVD (like I did the first time) and everything works perfectly except the processor. I tried using K10STAT to control the CPU manually but it is STILL stuck at 800 like hell !
I tried running Prime 95 for an hour still it is at 800.
I updated all the drivers, my windows OS and the BIOS. STILL NOTHING.
I'm a Computer Science minored and I'm out of my wits. So I tried taking it to local ASUS care and they said the hardware is fine. I tried contacting AMD support and they never heard of such a problem. My games suck!!....I've a decent GPU (6650M) and my CPU is causing all the chaos.
ANY HELP?????????????? Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
What Power Plan are you using?

Try switching to High Performance and see if that'll ramp up the CPU.

Did that.......no effect whatsoever 😞

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Boot into Safe Mode. Stress the CPU with Prime95 again and see if it still stays at 800MHz.

I can't start CPU-z or Open Hardware Monitor in safe mode. how to monitor the cpu frequency?

Chino
Level 15
It should show an error about generating a log file or something but just click cancel. Some of the parameters might be missing from the CPU-Z window. But it should still be able to show you the CPU's speed.

unfortunately the only thing it doesn't show is the clock speed 😞
But I ran Prime 95 anyway and noticed that the fan is spinning much faster than it did in normal mode.....so I think the CPU is working fine. But I'd like to see it.

Ok, disregard my previous post. I installed new version of cpu-z and it shows 1.4 GHz clock speed in safe mode.. PLEASE REPLY . many thanks

Chino
Level 15
That would indicate that something is messing with the CPU speed while in Windows. Look in the Power4Gear program and see if there's a profile similar to the Window' s High Performance profile.

did that....even tried the predefined ATI CCC profiles.....no result whatsoever. 😞
In addition I tried decreasing the clock speed beyond 800 MHz using K10STAT but no results.