cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra tweaks for multi GPU with oc'd M4E?...

mapesdhs
Level 7
I have a Maximus IV Extreme with a 2700K @ 5.0, 16GB @ 2133, currently with a single GTX 460 v2 1GB.

I've been hunting around for info on what extra adjustments one should make (if any) when using
more than one GPU, but no luck so far. Suggestions anyone? A boost to PCH perhaps?

I want to add a 2nd GTX 460 for SLI. Individually, each GPU is stable oc'd to 1025MHz, but running SLI it's
not stable (testing with 3DMark11, for example see www.3dmark.com/3dm11/3963810 for a 1-card result).

The M4E has the extra power connectors on the mbd fitted.

Thanks!

Ian.

PS. I've been using the same board for AE peformance testing with a Quadro 4000 + 2x GTX 460, works fine,
but of course in this config the 460s are not in SLI.
Maximus IV Extreme, 2700K @ 5.0, Corsair H80, 16GB DDR3/2133, GTX 460, 850 Pro, etc.
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
You will not be able to get the same single card performance when in SLi that is the sad fact of the matter.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

mapesdhs
Level 7
My question is not about the performance of the cards (I know SLI doesn't scale linearly, I've done
hundreds of SLI tests so far with different cards, mbds, CPUs, etc.), it's about how to get the mbd stable
when using more than one GPU, ie. what extra one ought to do in the BIOS to help the board cope with
the higher load when the CPU is in an oc'd state.

Ian.
Maximus IV Extreme, 2700K @ 5.0, Corsair H80, 16GB DDR3/2133, GTX 460, 850 Pro, etc.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ah I misunderstood my apologies. Short answer for two cards there is nothing extra needed.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

mapesdhs
Level 7
Thanks!!

In the event though I noticed I did still have a couple of settings on Auto (including PCH PLL);
changing these to manual with a +0.5 bump seemed to do the trick, and I also disabled the HPET.

Alas my overall experimental goal (trying to break 9K with a couple of 460 V2s) was foiled by the 2nd
card just not being that good an example. Testing them individually, the first card I bought runs
happily at 1025MHz core (giving a very respectable 5095 for 3DMark11), but the 2nd won't do more
than 960 (scoring 4911), thus limiting the SLI ceiling. Pity, if they could both go at 1025 then I reckon
9K+ would be viable, but never mind. As it is I managed 8837, which isn't too bad I guess. 😎

Ian.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ian if you would like to find the optimal settings for increasing your score of the benchmark please do post up a thread in the Benching section, especially as this is a new benchmark there are heaps of tweaks that still need to be learnt.

I will look around and find out what I can and share with the team.

Regards