cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sabertooth Z77 usb 2.0 stops working

zero_l0gic
Level 7
Hey everyone, my first post here (LOVE your OC guides sry for offtopic :))
having a weird problem with usb 2.0 ports (yes 2.0) picture attached 17377
i have mouse (g9x) and keyboard (g510) and dlink Wireless pluged in it
every now and then ( 2-3 times a week) they just stop working, and my mouse keyboard start blinking ( like they are getting power then not) and they are not operational, hard to describe the problem. its mostly happends when am playing (happend in wow, sc2, tf2 and borderlands 2 ), i did search for this topic but didnt find anyone with the same problem.
i have Sabertooth z77 bios 1708 , i5 3.2ghz, 2x 4gb gskill 1866 ,.. its all brand new ( 3 weeks old )

tried to reinstall both USB controllers, downloaded new drivers, removed in device manager they reinstall alone, and still i get the problem,windows are newly installed and up-to-date

the weird thing is that they work normally if i restart the computer, and they are random sometimes when i start playing around 20 mins and sometimes after 10hours ( had thermal armor on to see if voltage or temperature is the problem but it looks stable)

thanks in advance 🙂
p.s. little offtopic, sorry for my bad grammar, English ( am trying my best to describe the problem)
Dont burn! - PCexpert4life
40 REPLIES 40

HiVizMan
Level 40
Check your PSU as that is what is supplying the voltage for the USB. Try and borrow a PSU tester or buy one, they cost $2 or $3 on ebay.

In the mean while you can download an application that will allow you to see what the motherboard is reporting the voltages to be. Look at the 3 volt readings.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

zero_l0gic
Level 7
yea ill report back when i get the tester (buying it right away).

zero_l0gic
Level 7
i tested the PSU with Xlience LCD PS tester and it looks ok
so i plugged in 2 usb flash drives and a usb hdd copying files on them so i see how they do "in action " but that looks also ok
then i tried a general stress test on my computer also ok ( i can attach the picture if needed dont want to make this post a slide show 🙂 ) i used Aida64 trial version and Thermal radar to check on voltage. is there any better way to stress test usb ports ? even tried to plug and unplug mouse from the port to see if something happends ( i keept pluging him and unpluging every 2-3 seconds for 60 secs) but nothing... not even a power spike XD smooth smooth

HiVizMan
Level 40
So your ports are now working it seems.

All I can suggest is to keep an eye on when it gives you those problems and use the software to monitor for longer periods of time.

Drivers and such are all up-to-date - possibly re-install them just to make sure. Pretty sure you have done this a couple of times.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
So your ports are now working it seems.
yea 🙂 but still this problem happens random and i have no control over it, and it usually happens ingame (usually just before i make i beautiful kill :cool: but get killed like i am a bot :rolleyes: ) one time it happend in firefox. i dont mind it happening when am in windows then i can restart with no "loss" but ingame when this happens it usually leads to death and Leeroy Jenkins raid pulls 😉 i found Crystal Disk Mark so i will let it test usb transfer rates over night ( ill put max number of tests maybe that will make something show up). i did a little more tests and in bios i saw i can disable usb ports so i tried in manual to see what port is what but got confused, can anyone tell me what i need to disable only to leave usb on the back to work (maybe that will help). first time to see something like this happen so am really confused about it.

Thanks HiVizMan for quick responses!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Sorry I can not provide a fix I have been reading up and it does seem that some keyboards with powered hubs do provide more hassles than others. Not sure if your problems would go away if you swapped out a keyboard to test.

zero_l0gic
Level 7
I have some standard keyboards so i will test them to see.
I didnt know about that problem with keyboard hub, and g510 has a sound card on it so ill disable that too.

zero_l0gic
Level 7
I have some standard keyboards so i will test them to see.
I didnt know about that problem with keyboard hub, and g510 has a sound card on it so ill disable that too.

GRML4D
Level 7
the psu is not great : values are all far above the correct value between 5 and 10% .
I use a 80 Plus silver and its perfect , check about your here : http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSupplies.aspx

for the troubles you have , have you tried to plug the dlink Wireless on the usb3 below the network plug . keyb and mouse on the other connector ?