cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjusting G75V Series Touchpad functions

BrotherSpence
Level 7
Hey everyone,

I've just purchased a G75 over the weekend and have been racking my brains trying to find a simple solution to turning off the tap-to-click function on the track pad. I find it irritating as it clicks inadvertently all of the time.

Thus far, I have found no options in the Control Panel, or under the device itself in the device manager. I've also tried re-installing the firmware provided on both the ASUS and Synaptic websites (to no avail). Apparently the ASUS Gesture Software doesn't work for this model of laptop. After sifting through page after page on Google, I've notice that this question has been raised by many people (mostly on the Microsoft support site), but no one seems to have any answers. You guys are my last hope! I'd hate to have to return such a beastly machine over something like that, but it makes the TrackPad so difficult to use.

I'm running Windows 8 (fully updated) and the pad is listed in the device manager as "Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad"

Any thoughts? Even any third party software that exists would be helpful.

Cheers,
Spencer
10 REPLIES 10

RoG-Monster
Level 7
I haven't made any research regarding the possibility to turn off the tap-to-click function completely. It works just fine for me. But apparently you are having some issues with it. I will try to find a way to completely disable tapping. In the meantime here's what you can try:

You go to the Control Panel and open Mouse Settings. If you drivers are correctly installed you should have a tab with Synaptics' icon that's named Device Settings. Open that tab and after that click the Settings button. A window should open showing the settings for the TouchPad. You can mess around with all the options trying to configure it by your liking. However the one you should be looking for in this particular case is the option named SmartSense. As you can see in the description this is basically an option that tries to prevent accidental clicking. I almost don't use the TouchPad and haven't tested this too much but I've tried it for some time now and I can see an improvement.

So maybe you can try it too and let's hope it's some kind of relief for you while we find a better solution.

Edit: Actually if you want tapping absolutely disabled you can just remove the check from the Tapping option. At first I thought it was used only for dragging but it prevents all the tapping.

Thank you for the reply, Monster.

Unfortunatly, I do not see anything for Synaptics or even Touchpad in the mouse settings window. I've attached a screen shot with what I do see. Maybe the drivers are not installed correctly, but I've done it twice now with a driver link from Synaptics and a driver link from ASUS (both for my computer's specific model).

Forgot the attachment!

RoG-Monster
Level 7
I think you had some problems with the driver installation. You should get that tab.

Do you keep the stock DVD that came with the laptop?

Here's what I suggest:

Go to the Programs and Features tool in the Control Panel. Look for an entry named Synaptics Pointing Device Driver. Uninstall it if it is there. Reboot. After that open Run (Winkey + R) and type cmd. After that write in the Command Prompt:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

and press Enter. Then type:

start devmgmt.msc

and again press Enter. The Device Manager window should open. From the menu at the top choose View -> Show hidden devices. Then go to the Mice and pointing devices line and see if there is something named Synaptics. Uninstall it if it is there. Reboot. Then if you have the DVD start the installation wizard and see if it detects that the driver is not installed. If you don't have the DVD I would try with the driver from Synaptics not the one from ASUS. Reboot and check for the tab.

Also when the driver installation is complete it should be noted at the final screen that the device is update.

So I suggest trying this and reporting back.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi,

I installed the Synaptics touchpad driver Version V16.2.11.7 from the ASUS download site on my G75VW test unit running Win8 release preview and weirdly enough could get the Smart Gesture interface to show up by double left-clicking on the touchpad icon that shows up in the desktop taskbar by the time and date in the bottom right-hand corner.

I was able to disable the 'tap to select' option in ASUS Smart Gesture, so let me know if you need more details how to get this done, but it appears to be possible to me to disable the feature!
It was a little bit tricky to install the Synaptics touchpad driver Version V16.2.11.7, so let me know if you had any problems with this.

I didn't try the earlier Synaptics touchpad driver version Version V16.1.8.0 posted on the ASUS download site yet.

Pitcher1
Level 9
could you update BIOS and new driver form ASUS website to try again?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent

fyi. If anybody else is having trouble installing that G75VW Win8 touchpad driver version Version V16.2.11.7, it doesn't appear to be uploaded correctly.

After you unzip the download, there is a second zipped file that you need to unzip and run the install.bat.
There is also an install.bat file that appears the first time you unzip the download, but just ignore it.

cheek
Level 9
I download from Synoptics. A newer Version 16.3.8.8.

http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

cheek wrote:
I download from Synoptics. A newer Version 16.3.8.8.

http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

Hi guys,

But is it safe enough to install the driver from this link. I know it is a newer version than the version on the Asus download site but there's a warning on the synaptics site, namely "The Synaptics device driver is customized to meet the specific requirements of your device manufacturer, externally detached or wireless touchpad devices included. To ensure that you get the appropriate device driver for your system, download your Synaptics device driver from your system manufacturer's support website".