cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will it fit?

Cakeageddon
Level 7
Hello Rog'ers
I'm a proud owner of a Maximus V formula motherboard (love it) and I installed the EK waterblocks on them. I use the 1/2'' fittings on them also from EK. Previously, when I had my GTX 680 (reference), the card wouldn't fit in the top slot because it bumps into the fittings, so i placed it in the 2nd red slot instead. Which worked fine FYI.

Since yesterday, I sold my GTX 680, and today I ordered 2 new Asus 7970 DC2 top graphic cards.
I know they are triple slot, no worries about that. As I will be installing waterblocks on them aswell. Do keep in mind though, I want to keep the backplate on it.

Additional info: I will be using an EK Crossfire bridge for getting the water through both blocks.
Now my questions is: Will it fit? I mean, the chipset is slightly above the bottom card, and im not 100% sure if the backplate can stay on the card and i'm also dunno how to do the routing from the crossfire bridge to the chipset.

So here i am, humbly asking of the community to help me out on this one.
If you manage to solve this, also tell me which EK fittings (and or adaptors) you used. Because I really want to keep cooling my motherboard as it looks pretty neat.

Included is a picture to see my current sticky situation:

Thank you for any help in advance! I really want to order my blocks really soon, so the faster the help, the happier i will be!
Depending on how valuable the info is haha.
16 REPLIES 16

Zka17
Level 16
Wel, if it will fit it will be a tight fit... could you re-route that south bridge connection?

I dunno how mate, or where to even... I guess i could go Pump>rad>CPU>Phase regulators>crossfire bridge>chipset>res if that's what you mean, will also be my Laing D5 with EK top be strong enough for it btw?

Zka17
Level 16
Those anti-kink coils on the tuning are for that diameter of tubes? It seems one size bigger... do you really need that? Maybe, without that would be more space...

The Laing D5 is one of the strongest pumps, don't worry about it...

Oh, and welcome to the ROG Forum! 🙂

I dont really need it, (except for the cpu to the phase regulators).
They are the correct size, no worries about that, but i think ive figured something out on how to do this.
Ill start out from the crossfire bridge:
Crossfire bridge > EK 45 degrees adaptor > EK extender, 1 or 2, depending on how much i need > EK 90 degree adapter > tubing > chipset. I think that should do the trick.

Also, the little red button for regulating the speed of the pump was broken off when i received it.
It can't be fixed sadly, so guess i need to take the back off and turn the button a bit up. Will i notice when i reach the highest setting? Like, the button wont go further or something?

HiVizMan
Level 40
It will fit, but will mean that you need to redo your tubing. The VRM to SB tubing will need to have a higher loop. But that is part and parcel of the joy of WC rebuilding and finding more efficient ways of managing the plumbing.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
It will fit, but will mean that you need to redo your tubing. The VRM to SB tubing will need to have a higher loop. But that is part and parcel of the joy of WC rebuilding and finding more efficient ways of managing the plumbing.

What exactly, do you mean with 'a higher loop' ?

Zka17
Level 16
What button are you talking about? Do you have the Swiftech MCP655 variable speed pump? If yes, you have to turn that small knob, it's not a pressing button...

Yeah, my english isn't that great haha.
But that's what i meant, the little knob, i know i need to turn it, but upon receival it was already broken,
but since they can easily blame me since there is no warranty on that, it's safer if i don't send it up.
But my question was: Will I notice that the knob won't turn more if it reached it's highest setting? instead of spinning endlessly?
Also, 5 minutes ago i received my cards! 😄

Zka17
Level 16
Yes, it will stop at the 1 and 5 end... - but do your experiment when it's turned off... also, be aware that the 5 setting is not always the best...